Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Specs 0w-40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The oil used to list in back Meets or exceeds Chrysler Ms-12633. The NEW oil has Meets or exceeds Chrysler MS-A0921. The MS-A0921 supersedes the old MS-12633 standard and will not void the warranty. For those stating it doesn’t matter it’s PURE BS, I blew a roller lifter and cam and the FIRST thing Chrysler did was an oil analysis to see if the MS-12633 standard was met and receipts for oil purchases by myself was provided.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
interesting.

OP
OP
R

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting yes. My new bottles were dated Jan,27 2021. Emailed Pennzoil they not only called but emailed to confirm info given about superseding the old MS standard.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it were me and I didnt have a spec fluid in the sump and something happened, I would tow it home first and give it an oil change, then let them deny me. It shouldn't matter but better safe then sorry, issues that happen with hemi's happen in large part because of the spec fluids and the low additive formulas, srt PUP 0w40 aside of course as that is the exception to the rule, but those lesser spec oils are sparce in additives.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The oil used to list in back Meets or exceeds Chrysler Ms-12633. The NEW oil has Meets or exceeds Chrysler MS-A0921. The MS-A0921 supersedes the old MS-12633 standard and will not void the warranty. For those stating it doesn’t matter it’s PURE BS, I blew a roller lifter and cam and the FIRST thing Chrysler did was an oil analysis to see if the MS-12633 standard was met and receipts for oil purchases by myself was provided.

This action is obvious in meaning FCA KNOWS the Hemi is inadequately lubricated by their own design, and MUST have an exceptional engine oil just to make the failure rate lower. And they aren't about to change the core design to improve valvetrain lubrication, either. And so, here we are.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I didnt have a spec fluid in the sump and something happened, I would tow it home first and give it an oil change, then let them deny me. It shouldn't matter but better safe then sorry, issues that happen with hemi's happen in large part because of the spec fluids and the low additive formulas, srt PUP 0w40 aside of course as that is the exception to the rule, but those lesser spec oils are sparce in additives.
Yes and I probably wouldn’t even change the filter, just take it off and dump the oil out and put it back on. Just out of curiosity how long do you think it would take for say QSUD 5W30 or SGT 5W30 to shear down to a 5W20? Just in case I decide to switch over to one of those in the future. I’m not keen on running 5W20 period.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes and I probably wouldn’t even change the filter, just take it off and dump the oil out and put it back on. Just out of curiosity how long do you think it would take for say QSUD 5W30 or SGT 5W30 to shear down to a 5W20? Just in case I decide to switch over to one of those in the future. I’m not keen on running 5W20 period.

maybe never, hard to say depends on the engine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
For me, sheardown of 5W-30 isn't very problematic in the Hemi with 5,000 mile oil changes. 0W-40 and 5W-40 are more concerning for obvious reasons.

Sheardown of PUP 5W-30 is very low, according to both HTHS data and 540RatBlog data. Amsoil, Red Line, and QSUD (PUP disguised) are way up there too.

I concur with other member's experience that 5,000 mile oil changes should be done with all Hemi engines because of the low lubricity design, and sensitivity to run-time deposits. Relatively cheap insurance, compared to a $4,500 camshaft blowout, if it can even be done without wrecking the engine (metal parts floating within). Or a new $9,500 Hemi.

5,000 miles is still better than the olden days of 3,000 miles with (now) API Group iI oils (of which I lived through). And I'll take the Hemi anyday over a GM 5.3 oil-pumper, which I got rid of @ 70,000 miles burning 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Engine designers/engineers decide which motor oil viscosity is to be used
They called for 20 weight oil because some of the oil ports are too small for 30 weight oil to pass through at certain engine temperatures

Because most of the USA & Canada temperatures can get down to or below freezing, they decided to go with 5w-20.
The 5w means that the blend will flow through the small oil ports when the outdoor temperature is +5 degrees, thus they call for 5w-20
They would have called for 0w-20, but that is a very recent blend that Shell Oil came up with