Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs Platinum 5W-20 Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've been searching threads for recent VOA on PUP 0W-40. Anybody know of one? If not, I think I'll go get one.

Red Line is well-documented.

OP
OP
PE7EY

PE7EY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick side note... Surprisingly I was able to get Amazon to ship Redline 5w-30 to me!! I've since changed the oil and filter (K&N Performance Gold, HP-1017 --- if anyone is interested or has a better recommendation for my next oil change).

Admittedly, I'm terrified of Hemi tick and probably should relax a bit but because of that I pay very close attention to the noise my engine makes during start up, idle and while driving. I can 100% report that my engine sounds "tighter" and smoother on start up and idle. I did take a slight fuel economy hit by about 1/2 to 1 MPG but that doesn't bother me much.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Quick side note... Surprisingly I was able to get Amazon to ship Redline 5w-30 to me!! I've since changed the oil and filter (K&N Performance Gold, HP-1017 --- if anyone is interested or has a better recommendation for my next oil change).

Admittedly, I'm terrified of Hemi tick and probably should relax a bit but because of that I pay very close attention to the noise my engine makes during start up, idle and while driving. I can 100% report that my engine sounds "tighter" and smoother on start up and idle. I did take a slight fuel economy hit by about 1/2 to 1 MPG but that doesn't bother me much.

You might want to try a Marvel Mystery oil in the gas if you want a real quiet engine.

I use PUP and MMO and I have to check if it is on.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:Big Laugh: Man it's a shame hemi's are such fragile little princesses... all the old mighty max's and D50's and nissan hardbodys everyone used as farm trucks where I grew up had 200k+ miles and countless ungodly hours of idling and slow chugging around the farms pulling stuff they had no business pulling, getting stuck and having the frijoles revved off them, getting used as go karts by all the teens and tweens... and they got oil changes "sometimes" with whatever was the absolute cheapest, or whatever was in the big barrel at the shop.

Sure they needed repairs periodically but external repairs, the engines rarely failed from anything that could be called a lubrication problem.

Maybe Ram should consult with 1980s Mitsubishi on how to build an engine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, if you ignore science hemi's look great as far as feelings go, lol.

I have yet to see any engine with chronically higher wear numbers then hemi's in nearly every uoa, and we haven't even gotten to talk about cam/lifter issues yet that is literally the first thing that comes out of any independent mechanics mouth when asked about a hemi. Name me an engine that you can produce say 3 uoa's that look higher then a stock hemi. Having a lubrication strategy that differs from fca's is a solid discussion to have. Kurek have you ever done a uoa on your truck?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Every stock hemi forum from challenger to ram all have multiple threads on cam fails, have you heard any other truck engine that has anything close? All roads lead home, high wear numbers plus the phenomenon of hemi tick and home is the large number of cam fails always one failed lob thanks to lack of lubrication in one lifter. The dreaded misfire code and every guy with a hemi knows what is next that hemi is coming home, you get a misfire code with another engine it can be many things, with ram hemis not so much. Not even acknowledging the issue just isnt doing serious people any favors, because there is no downside to having a lubrication strategy, it doesn't even have to cost you any money persay, just depends on the strategy you develop.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who's ignoring it? I'm using premium brand oil in the service grade the manufacturer specifies at intervals much shorter than specified. If that's not good enough then it's a POS engine, which would be a shame since I already own this machine.

I could go pay for an oil analysis but any actions predicated from that would be speculative guesses. Everyone has their miracle witch's brew that they're absolutely sure is the right answer, just like everyone's certain their religion is the right one.

Do what you want with your engine, I'll do what I want with mine and hopefully we both enjoy a long trouble free service life.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sadly mine wasnt trouble free, unless you like the sound of a knocking engine. Changed oils, and all is good. same story with at least 100 ram forum members a this point.

schwartzy18510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
For anyone interested, I found this Pennzoil oil analysis video which shows the additives that make up the difference between PP and PUP.

After seeing the analysis, which would you choose for overall engine health, Hemi tick, etc? Can any experts or oil aficionados chime in if the additives in PUP is worth the upgrade?

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs Platinum 5W-20 Oil Analysis
(Uploaded by YouTube account ImpalaLFX13 / Dec 03, 2020)

I realize that this thread is somewhat dated, but I'm a new owner of a 5.7L HEMI (2008 w/MDS, no VVT) and have been busy the last week educating myself regarding the best oil and filter to use to prevent/combat the dreaded HEMI tick in my truck. In the course of that search, I stumbled across the below Project Farm YouTube video comparing Pennzoil's 5W-30 lineup — Synthetic Blend, Synthetic, Platinum, Ultra Platinum — including VOA results which I found eye-opening. I wanted to link it here because I found this thread in the course of my research on Pennzoil Platinum vs. Ultra Platinum and figured new HEMI owners in future may as well:

I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Ultra Platinum 5W-30 interchangeably for the better part of the last decade in my Toyota engines, with good results. That said, the huge difference in anti-wear additives and cold flow performance between the Platinum and Ultra Platinum demonstrated in the above video indicates PUP is far superior, and that even typical Pennzoil Synthetic is likely a far better fit for the HEMI than is Pennzoil Platinum, at least in the 5W-30 formulation.

Last edited:

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I realize that this thread is somewhat dated, but I'm a new owner of a 5.7L HEMI (2008 w/MDS, no VVT) and have been busy the last week educating myself regarding the best oil and filter to use to prevent/combat the dreaded HEMI tick in my truck. In the course of that search, I stumbled across the below Project Farm YouTube video comparing Pennzoil's 5W-30 lineup — Synthetic Blend, Synthetic, Platinum, Ultra Platinum — including VOA results which I found eye-opening. I wanted to link it here because I found this thread in the course of my research on Pennzoil Platinum vs. Ultra Platinum and figured new HEMI owners in future may as well:

I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Ultra Platinum 5W-30 interchangeably for the better part of the last decade in my Toyota engines, with good results. That said, the huge difference in anti-wear additives and cold flow performance between the Platinum and Ultra Platinum demonstrated in the above video indicates PUP is far superior, and that even typical Pennzoil Synthetic is likely a far better fit for the HEMI than is Pennzoil Platinum, at least in the 5W-30 formulation.
I swapped from "synthetic" to PUP largely thanks to Project Farm, and here. I have to say, swapping from the chain oil change oil (Firestone/Havoline) to PP netted me almost 20% mileage, and the truck seemed happier. (5-20 on an '18), then I swapped to PUP5-30, back to "their" 5-20 mileage. My last change was one of the rare warm days in December (okay, not so rare anymore...), but I did PUP 5-20, as I didn't love how the 5-30 ran. The ram seems happy, and quieter than the 5-30 PUP. But also running Royal Purp filter. tried the 20-500, but... It doesn't fit my '18 4x4. I had to use a long screw driver and a hammer to "persuade" it out last time. So back to the 10-40 filter (or w/e MOPAR lists as the size). But I will say, 8k on the 5-30 PUP looked better than 5k on the Firestone oil. Firestone after 5k was black as night. 8k on PUP 5-30 I could still see light through. Not a lot, but some.

schwartzy18510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Another helpful data point when comparing Pennzoil Platinum to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, albeit in the 5W-30 weight rather than 5W-20: