PERFORMANCE CAM FOR A DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
Anyone know of a cam with some decent horsepower that would work good for a daily driver, 3.21 gears?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone know of a cam with some decent horsepower that would work good for a daily driver, 3.21 gears?

Jay Greene's .5HL cam is a torque style cam which will work good with your 3.21 gears.Don't expect huge gains from a cam swap though.The stock cam isn't all that bad,and if you expect alot from a cam swap,you might be disappointed a bit

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Jay Greene's .5HL cam is a torque style cam which will work good with your 3.21 gears.Don't expect huge gains from a cam swap though.The stock cam isn't all that bad,and if you expect alot from a cam swap,you might be disappointed a bit

What Wild one said. I have this package and the improvements were noticeable and driveable. Paired with some headers you can't go wrong! Keep in mind you'll most likely want to do improved valve springs, might as well upgrade your lifters, and new pushrods.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Whats your opinions on the tsp stage 1 and 2 cams? I believe you know a few guys with them i think from reading prior posts could be wrong

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Whats your opinions on the tsp stage 1 and 2 cams? I believe you know a few guys with them i think from reading prior posts could be wrong

TSP's cams make good power too,they're a little more radical then Jays .5's,but the TSP stage 1 is still a very livable daily driver cam.Jays .5 is a better cam if you do any towing though,as it keeps the full sweep of the VVT,while TSP requires you to lock out the VVT.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
TSP's cams make good power too,they're a little more radical then Jays .5's,but the TSP stage 1 is still a very livable daily driver cam.Jays .5 is a better cam if you do any towing though,as it keeps the full sweep of the VVT,while TSP requires you to lock out the VVT.
I like the idea of not having a phaser limiter or lock involved and I've been having jay tune my truck for my past 2 trucks... i might check out his 1.5 sleeper cam as its not involving valve springs and rods ... i want a simple swap make a little extra power and obviously change out the lifters for peace of mind... also price point on them isnt terrible... i like the idea of the tsp cams as they have such a great rep in the LS world... obviously new to hemis but not cams.... but being tuned by jay its probably a better choice as he knows his cams and what to do to make the most out of them... being in Canada sucks sometimes for the exchange and crap for getting deals on parts lol

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

And I just decided I'll be going the Jay .5 route.
I seem to only drive while towing now.

... being in Canada sucks sometimes for the exchange and crap for getting deals on parts lol

This has kept me from a cam for a few years now. Its a big one $$$

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn

I may have to contact Jay to see if I can get something with some gains. I'm not looking for much
but would like to see some.

Appreciate the guidance!

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I may have to contact Jay to see if I can get something with some gains. I'm not looking for much
but would like to see some.

Appreciate the guidance!

It is my understanding the cam needs pairing with some LT headers and the tune in order to net you gains that you will be truly happy with.

Also, if you aren't replacing the lifters with an aftermarket cam....you are wrong lol

I am in a similar boat except, I dont have a choice, I need a cam soon...I may even go OEM MDS cam/lifters cus the aftermarket parts and tune are triple the cost of throwing OEM in there for now...i hate to do that but I don't have much of a choice at the moment.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

This has kept me from a cam for a few years now. Its a big one $$$

My truck is usually at the weekly ALX meet in Airdrie on Wed evenings if you want to come check it out,lol. It set me back roughly 4grand Canuck by the time i was done doing my cam swap,but i also sprung for ARP head bolts / springs/ Trend pushrods /Hellcat lifters.If you stayed with your original springs /pushrods and re-used your head bolts,you could save a fair bit. Techinically the head bolts are a torque to yield bolt,but they can be re-used if they haven't been overly stretched.Tach Tech might know the specs on the bolts more then i do,as i think Ma Mopar has bolt stretch specs for the head bolts.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moe's has trucks running his street cam that are running in the 11's. People that have the cam report that they are very satisfied with his selection of cams. He also can install the cams he sells.
Jay

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have at least 50k on those valve springs replacement is required roler cams dont need lifter replacement unless they are bad don't need a break in.
I put a comp cam magnum series .480 in .512 ex 112 degree lobe separation in a second gen 5.9
I definitely noticed the gains 4 deg advance on timing set short headers and you would want to let the ecm know about the bolt on changes. It sounds aggressive and pulling aggressive as well
Call comp cams they will grind a cam for your needs and they are good at it

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Andrew if you can make it out to the local Wed night ALX meet in Airdrie,i'll see if i can set it up so you can look Pee-Jays truck over.His truck is very similiar to your truck except with the 6 speed,and he's running long tube headers with one of Jay's .5HL cams.Pee-jays a good guy,and will probably give you a ride in his truck.P.S check your messages,lol
Rick