Pinging/detonation, anyone try a colder plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I'm towing in the summer I get what I consider excessive pinging. Not enough for the dealer to do anything about it (the manual says something like "a small amount of pinging is normal"), but more than I want.

I've noticed that it gets worse the hotter the engine is. I've gone on a bit of journey as of late to get my temps down, did the AGS delete, 180 thermostat, even a remote oil filter relocation kit to get more air flow over the filter and more hose area. I'm sure that all adds up and helps, my temps are definitely cooler now. But I still get ping, even unloaded, on a hot day.

According to motortrend, one way to possibly fix this is to try a colder spark plug. Has anyone tried this successfully?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/engine-detonation-knock-explained/

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
When I'm towing in the summer I get what I consider excessive pinging. Not enough for the dealer to do anything about it (the manual says something like "a small amount of pinging is normal"), but more than I want.

I've noticed that it gets worse the hotter the engine is. I've gone on a bit of journey as of late to get my temps down, did the AGS delete, 180 thermostat, even a remote oil filter relocation kit to get more air flow over the filter and more hose area. I'm sure that all adds up and helps, my temps are definitely cooler now. But I still get ping, even unloaded, on a hot day.

According to motortrend, one way to possibly fix this is to try a colder spark plug. Has anyone tried this successfully?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/engine-detonation-knock-explained/

Fwiw, have you tried using non ethanol gas?

My HEMI would also "ping" when it was hot until I started using non ethanol 91 octane fuel and now it's "ping free" and performs really well.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes I've tried 91 octane, and I think non-ethanol as well but that is very hard to get in my area and it didn't help either.

I'm running 89 again right and it almost seems to like that better than the 3 tanks of 91 I had stuck in previous (towing)? Bizzare.

It's time to get out a logger and record this with different gas and octanes so I'm not just flying by the seat of my pants.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you using top tier gas stations? stock intake?

Maybe try some Boostane or Octanium next time you tow.

if you have a logger I abslutely recommend logging it and see exactly whats going on to see what the engine doesnt like and in what instances.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yes I've tried 91 octane, and I think non-ethanol as well but that is very hard to get in my area and it didn't help either.

I'm running 89 again right and it almost seems to like that better than the 3 tanks of 91 I had stuck in previous (towing)? Bizzare.

It's time to get out a logger and record this with different gas and octanes so I'm not just flying by the seat of my pants.

Do or did you also have a slight engine knock or use any type of fuel additive, not that would help?

My HEMI would also have a very faint "knocking" sound under a slight load until I started using the non ethanol 91 octane fuel. All I can say, it's made an tremendous improvement and I ain't complaining.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you using top tier gas stations? stock intake?

Maybe try some Boostane or Octanium next time you tow.

if you have a logger I abslutely recommend logging it and see exactly whats going on to see what the engine doesnt like and in what instances.

I don't have a logger yet, ideally it would come with tuning software so maybe something like HP, not sure if there is cheaper options if all I want to do is log pinging and adjust the threshold/temps of my fan.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a logger yet, ideally it would come with tuning software so maybe something like HP, not sure if there is cheaper options if all I want to do is log pinging and adjust the threshold/temps of my fan.
Stock intake?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have one step colder plugs in my hemi. However I'm supercharged and highly modified. I'm also tuned by FRP.

So I'm not typical. However you can do a couple of things and I would do them in this order. And it appears you have done some of these

Run a bottle of redline s-1 through your fuel system
Remove slats in AGS, leave upper and lower
Higher octane fuel . I run highest available anywhere
190 or 180 thermostat- below 180 you need to /should tune
1 step colder plug - & you might want to tighten up the plug gap. Factory is .43 I'm at .36. Could cause issues with factory tune.
Think about getting tuned. Expensive proposition given your truck as you need pcm, bypass cable and tuner software and tuner

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I'm towing in the summer I get what I consider excessive pinging.
Aside from 89 octane fuel, are you using the Tow/Haul mode? Could be low rpm lugging of the engine under load.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Aside from 89 octane fuel, are you using the Tow/Haul mode? Could be low rpm lugging of the engine under load.

I always use T/H yes. Pinging is more noticable when working it hard at 2000 to 3000 rpms, I generally only work it hard when towing but if I get on it empty then it pings too, just not as much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pinging is more noticable when working it hard at 2000 to 3000 rpms
How many miles on the plugs? It also might be worth cleaning the fuel injectors along with the MAF sensor.
Further check the fuel pressure and possibly the O2 sensors.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How many miles on the plugs? It also might be worth cleaning the fuel injectors along with the MAF sensor.
Further check the fuel pressure and possibly the O2 sensors.

I considered that (plugs) but honestly I doubt this is the issue. It's done it since new, it's more a tuning thing or "by design" as opposed to something that is broken or wearing out/down or getting dirty.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I always use T/H yes. Pinging is more noticable when working it hard at 2000 to 3000 rpms, I generally only work it hard when towing but if I get on it empty then it pings too, just not as much.
If the pinging is between 2000 and 3000 You could be lugging the engine. Hemis really start to come on at about 3500 and will pull up to around 6800.

At 2k, you may need to downshift from 8 to 6 or maybe 5 to get into the power band of the cam

What are you geared?

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the pinging is between 2000 and 3000 You could be lugging the engine. Hemis really start to come on at about 3500 and will pull up to around 6800.

At 2k, you may need to downshift from 8 to 6 or maybe 5 to get into the power band of the cam

What are you geared?

Guys, the truck is not lugging in the slightest. It pings at higher rpms as well as just off the line. I notice it more at 2000 and 3000 because it does ping more there than off the line, and I spend so little time at 3000+ rpms.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
It was previously mentioned already, but I'd start with checking plug gap and decreasing it like suggested and note the change.