Please advise soon to be owner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hello soon to be Ramily!
I am in the market for a '20 1500 Crew Cab Short Box and I'm stressing like crazy over v6 v. Hemi. While I've read tons of info on here about mpg, accel., towing, etc., I haven't seen anything addressing depreciation rates of both engines. I will keep the truck 8-10 years and take good care of it. I'm a remodeling contractor but I don't tow and will very rarely have more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed. I drive about 12,000 miles a year. Driving is 90% country roads at 50 mph. My research has suggested that considering the countless variables, there is a difference of about 3-4 mpg between the two engines. This equates to a difference of a few hundred dollars per year in fuel cost. Assuming a $4,000 difference at 100,000 miles, is there a depreciation difference that recovers some or most of that?
To be frank, I'm 44 and have wanted a "Hemi powered drone" my whole life (que the Jersey responses). But I won't pay extra for it unless I can make some sense of it. It seems that the v8 would have a lot more low cost life left when I'm done with it than the v6. I sincerely appreciate any opinions/advice.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Forum get the 5.7 Hemi and don't look back, put the correct oil and filter with a synthetic drain back valve to prevent dry starts, some here are getting 150,000 plus before repairs look on and do allot of reading these guys and gals have a wealth of information on these trucks plus the 5.7 has a better resale value and don't you like the sound of a rumbling V-8 push rod Engine!!!

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HEMI. No question. Power. My dad and neighbor have same year 17s. 3.21 gears. Dads is HEMI neighbor is 6 cyl and there very close mpg. I just brought a 19 home two months ago and love it. Avg 18.7 on a couple tanks. Mostly around town driving. There more demand for the hemI over 6 cyl when you go to trade in. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy the hemI

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi all the way. You will be sorry if you don't. Think about any tool you own - how many times have you said "Gee, I wish this tool had less power and was worth less if I wanted to sell it."? Unless you're just a crazy person the answer is never.

Cheaping out on an engine was one of my first lessons in buying cars. I wanted a classic Mustang real bad. Back then you could get a 200 inline 6 for half or less of the cost of a V8, but this is when a hardtop could be had for a grand on a 6 or 2 grand on an 8. I cheaped out and bought the 6. 6 months later I bought an 8. Everything about the 6 was a dog, and there was no aftermarket whatsoever.

The difference in gas at best is $300-400:

12k miles @ 20mpg in the 6 = 600 gallons per year.
12k miles @ 16mpg in the 8 = 750 gallons per year.
150 gallons @ $3/gallon = $450.

That's assuming your best case scenario. In reality - I've owned trucks that had both options - you usually only see a 1-2 mpg difference in real-world driving. That would be closer to $100-200 fuel savings.

As for resale, I think you could easily see a $5k difference at 100k miles in price differential. Most full-size truck owners want 8s. You are going to have to give yours away to sell it against other trucks at 100k. If you decide to trade it in before that you're going to take a hit at the dealer. You may think you will keep it 8-10 years but you don't know that for sure. Hedge your bets.

Since you won't be screaming down the boulevard forget about the Bruce reference (I'm originally from Jersey myself) and get it because it makes the best sense overall from a truck ownership point of view. V6s are offered for cheapskates, to be frank. They're a way of getting someone in the truck who otherwise wouldn't pay for it. If you *really* don't need a V8, you really don't need a full-size truck. There are smaller vehicles that will do the same thing - haul your contractor stuff around and go 50 mph on a country road.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was helping a friend of mine shop for a used full size truck and every time we found what we thought was a really good deal it was a v6. Easily $3k less on average compared to the $1500 v8 option. If you want the best of both worlds do what my boss did and get a used v6.

I went Hemi I have a Laramie Crew Cab with Ramboxes which is one of the heavier builds I wouldn't want a v6 in it. My 4th Gen was an express quad cab no ram boxes. I could see a v6 working better in that one. My boss has a 4th Gen v6 Big Horn Crew no ram boxes.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi all the way. You will be sorry if you don't. Think about any tool you own - how many times have you said "Gee, I wish this tool had less power and was worth less if I wanted to sell it."? Unless you're just a crazy person the answer is never.

Cheaping out on an engine was one of my first lessons in buying cars. I wanted a classic Mustang real bad. Back then you could get a 200 inline 6 for half or less of the cost of a V8, but this is when a hardtop could be had for a grand on a 6 or 2 grand on an 8. I cheaped out and bought the 6. 6 months later I bought an 8. Everything about the 6 was a dog, and there was no aftermarket whatsoever.

That's assuming your best case scenario. In reality - I've owned trucks that had both options - you usually only see a 1-2 mpg difference in real-world driving. That would be closer to $100-200 fuel savings.

As for resale, I think you could easily see a $5k difference at 100k miles in price differential. Most full-size truck owners want 8s. You are going to have to give yours away to sell it against other trucks at 100k. If you decide to trade it in before that you're going to take a hit at the dealer. You may think you will keep it 8-10 years but you don't know that for sure. Hedge your bets.

Since you won't be screaming down the boulevard forget about the Bruce reference (I'm originally from Jersey myself) and get it because it makes the best sense overall from a truck ownership point of view. V6s are offered for cheapskates, to be frank. They're a way of getting someone in the truck who otherwise wouldn't pay for it. If you *really* don't need a V8, you really don't need a full-size truck. There are smaller vehicles that will do the same thing - haul your contractor stuff around and go 50 mph on a country road.

HEMI: Proper MX and Oil and Such and U be OK.

JD: Bruce, ah, I remember the evenings at the Stone Pony (Bring back ne memories), LOL...

silverWS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
HEMI, I think the HEMI would be more appealing to a bigger crowd for resale purposes.

You could also try pricing the exact trucks on popular trade-in sites and just switch the v6 and v8 option.

Not to mention that you'd finally get the engine you've been wanting! Feels good to get the truck, the way YOU want it.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
This past fall when they were closing out the Classic body style you could have purchased a new 2019 Classic Tradesman 1500 w/V6 for under 20K. They were sitting on lots everywhere. Not a single Classic w/HEMI was left. That should tell you something.

OP
OP
M

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
thanks for all the feedback. you're all making a ton of sense. You guys are far more valuable than Car and Driver, etc..
Just to add, it doesn't seem that etorque is really worth it. Comments?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Etorque is a benefit in stop and go city traffic - and that is it's main purpose.
I thing the V6 is etorque now as standard, but could be wrong.
Etorque offers seamless stop/start functionality. So if you are stopping often it will help mpg.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have the eTorque V6 Pentastar, If you are not towing anything its a bet. I have a non eTorque V6 on my Grand Cherokee Summit and it has been flawless. If you are towing definitely get the eTorque Hemi V8. Its a superstar. My neighbor loved my truck and bought one with the eTorque Hemi V8, its awesome. I would be sure to get the 33 gal. gas tank!!!

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi w/ 3.92 rear hands down (no air ride or etorque). IMO a v6 does not belong in a half ton (even a Raptor w/ a v6 regardless of HP is silly to me). If your not going to lift or throw bigger tires on it, your gas mileage will be fine with the Hemi. I would also recommend getting the larger gas tank as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't get the eTorque, You don't get stuck with that Start/Stop tech, eTorque is good if you're doing allot of city start and stop driving, do not get the air ride there have been problems in cold weather the system is nitrogen charged and with that it gets moisture in the system when it gets cold and it will cause the nitrogen to purge off, and leave the system low the compressor will run to keep the system charged and it runs to long hopefully it blows the 40 amp breaker and not burn out the compressor, 2015 they upgraded compressor valve so hopefully this doesn't happen, but moisture in the system is bad news.

Last edited:

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2017 pentastar 4x4 and love it. Like you, I'll haul light loads and I only tow about 2500 lbs a couple times a year. I bought mine used. It was actually a used Enterprise rental. Have had zero issues with it. The lie-o-meter shows a lifetime of 19.1 mpg. I do mostly combination driving. I also have the 3.21 rear. I'm actually looking at another pentastar right now so the resale is relative. If you plan on getting another v6 after this one, then save yourself some money and go with the pentastar.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mpg between my 14 sport with 3.92s and this 19 bighorn with 3.21 is very close. The 14 as better after a tune but this 19 only has 600 or so miles so far. So as far as etorque, I’m not seeing it but that’s only 600 miles. Nowhere near bough to give a solid answer.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF you go with the V6, try to get the 3.55 gears - you will thank me.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Etorque, I would skip unless you do a lot of city driving. Personally I think it adds a layer of complexity that doesn't add much value if you aren't a city driver. But you will get other opinions on this.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner

Don't forget about the added cost of rear tires as the Hemi has a way of compelling you to leave black marks behind you.....