Please help identify problem with radiator fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chasikitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L V6 Turbo diesel
Hi All! I'm trying to help my dad find out what is going on with his '16 1500 ecodiesel. The check engine light came on while driving, and it was taken to autozone to run the code. They informed him that his radiator fan was gone, so he took it to the local mechanic. Our mechanic told him that he has no idea what's going on because the fan is wired up directly to the ecu and he doesn't deal with electrical. Also mentioned that it may have something to do with the A/C going out previously. It was bought used from a dealership and nothing was disclosed about any type of modification. I am going to include some photos of the fan, and the wiring that is running direct to the ecu. Any help would be very appreciated here. Is it stock? Is it a mod? He isn't into the modification scene and just wants his daily driver working again!

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First off, the truck is out of coolant, be sure to fill that before running the engine anymore. If the coolant drops much below the seam you should add coolant. Factory coolant is the Mopar OAT Coolant that starts off purple and over time turns to an orangeish-rose color.
The stock configuration of the radiator cooling fan is an 850 watt PWM fan which is directly controlled from the ECM. The power wires go directly to the battery and should be on a 100A Z-case fuse.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Engine running out coolant, engines overheating because radiator fan does not engage, are two sure fire ways to kill an engine.
Get it to a mechanic that knows what he is doing, fix it, properly, and un-do whatever workaround, the guy before did, to avoid fixing the root problem.

or

Be prepared to drop a new engine, in it, when this one says, "I'm Done."

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A ”mechanic “ that does not do electric is not what they claim ,I would NOT let them add oil to my truck.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That blue wire was definitely added, that's not stock. You're going to need a mechanic that can trace back and figure out what it's triggering and then back check to see why it was hacked in.