"POST" E-Fan install and "possible" summer issues I may encounter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all! So I did the efan conversion back in october with fall and winter temps, and now I am starting to see transmission Temps approaching 170f! What I did to remedy this with our "Current" 60f temps here in Georgia was reinstall my programmer and set the fan settings to the following

A/C off fan turn on @ 180
A/C on fan turn on at 170

I did of course install a 180f t-stat and engine coolant temps so far never exceed 184/5ish... With the current fan turn on settings, my trans temp will hover in the 140's range where is was prior to the e-fan install, what im worried about tho is summer temps are approaching and am worried that even with these fan turn on settings, set to where they are currently at, may not still provide the temps which were NO HOTTER THEN 150's in dead heat of summer with fan clutch installed, but wont know this for a few more weeks. I guess what im wanting to know and figure out are, what are y'alls trans temps with 60ish weather outside and summer temps? Will this "E-Fan" live a decently long life with it running nearly the whole time the truck is on??? Last question: IS there a recommended external add on cooler I can install for the transmission to give extra insurance that these temps will stay in check?

Thanks a million guys, you are always so helpful!!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
8 speed or 6 speed?

Did you upgrade to the pentastar fan or just using the stock e-fan?

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
8 speeds run hotter...mine hits 190 all the time.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If your fan is keeping coolant temperatures in the 180's then you have another issue with trans temps because the fan will cool both.
I recommend Mag-Hytech Model: #45RFE/545RFE transmission pan with Redline C+
Also use header wrap on exhaust pipe that crosses under pan for a cooler trans temp.
Seems like there are 4 places to change fan temps ......my tuner says to run all fan settings around 196 with a 180 t-stat. Fans will stay on all the time if set to low.

OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your fan is keeping coolant temperatures in the 180's then you have another issue with trans temps because the fan will cool both.
I recommend Mag-Hytech Model: #45RFE/545RFE transmission pan with Redline C+
Also use header wrap on exhaust pipe that crosses under pan for a cooler trans temp.
Seems like there are 4 places to change fan temps ......my tuner says to run all fan settings around 196 with a 180 t-stat. Fans will stay on all the time if set to low.
Not sure you understood my post sir. My trans temps are GREAT with the fan on and stay no hotter then 150s with current ambient temps (60f) What im worried about is when fan is off the temps will go to 170s where as before with all stock equipment (stock ac electric fan, and mechanical fan clutch setup, trans temps never went above 140s in summer heat. I have nothing wrong with trans/or trans fluids, and I also did a complete trans service and fluids are all fresh and new and completely topped off. Soooo, maybe add an inline trans cooler along with the stock trans cooler? I know even temps of 170s is still good and actually below normal but if stock was keeping temps @ 140s, surely I want to get back to that point. Thanks

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Not sure you understood my post sir. My trans temps are GREAT with the fan on and stay no hotter then 150s with current ambient temps (60f) What im worried about is when fan is off the temps will go to 170s where as before with all stock equipment (stock ac electric fan, and mechanical fan clutch setup, trans temps never went above 140s in summer heat. I have nothing wrong with trans/or trans fluids, and I also did a complete trans service and fluids are all fresh and new and completely topped off. Soooo, maybe add an inline trans cooler along with the stock trans cooler? I know even temps of 170s is still good and actually below normal but if stock was keeping temps @ 140s, surely I want to get back to that point. Thanks
Just tips for a cooler transmission.
Only ones that have to put clutch fan back on are the ones that do heavy towing.
Extra oil cooler not going to help if ya don't have moving air to cool it also.
I have a 2014 5.7 with 6-speed & 3k stall with 180 t-stat with pentastar type fan plus tips I mentioned for cooler trans.
Summers in the 90 degrees or more usually......if running hard temp is 146 max, normally at 136.
You must do a lot of stop & go driving if you are concerned about heat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just tips for a cooler transmission.
Only ones that have to put clutch fan back on are the ones that do heavy towing.
Extra oil cooler not going to help if ya don't have moving air to cool it also.
I have a 2014 5.7 with 6-speed & 3k stall with 180 t-stat with pentastar type fan plus tips I mentioned for cooler trans.
Summers in the 90 degrees or more usually......if running hard temp is 146 max, normally at 136.
You must do a lot of stop & go driving if you are concerned about heat.
I must be doing something wrong then, I just dont see how ill be back in the 130s again with our upcoming summer heat if i set fan to come on at 196... Thank you so much for all your feedback so far though, very helpful.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I must be doing something wrong then, I just dont see how ill be back in the 130s again with our upcoming summer heat if i set fan to come on at 196... Thank you so much for all your feedback so far though, very helpful.
You could go 190 but fans run longer.
Wild one will point you in the right direction:https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1612493/

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Odds are once you're in the dead heat of summer you'll be running the A/C which should keep your fan cycling on more often.If you're really worried,about it over heating the transmission, carry your stock clutch fan with you,if you start getting excessive heat you can wind it back on by hand,and use it with-out the shroud ,and if you decide you need more cooling,then re-install the shroud and clutch fan properly.The fan is reverse threaded as you know,so if you do re-install it by hand on the side of the road,it'll self tighten.

OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Odds are once you're in the dead heat of summer you'll be running the A/C which should keep your fan cycling on more often.If you're really worried,about it over heating the transmission, carry your stock clutch fan with you,if you start getting excessive heat you can wind it back on by hand,and use it with-out the shroud ,and if you decide you need more cooling,then re-install the shroud and clutch fan properly.The fan is reverse threaded as you know,so if you do re-install it by hand on the side of the road,it'll self tighten.

Thanks, I took the advice from the other member as well, and re-programmed the PCM for the following fan temps:
A/C OFF Low speed turn on @ 187f
A/C OFF High Speed turn on @ 185f
A/C ON 182F

Ill follow up in a few weeks and see what 90F + temps provide me with.

Thank you guys for all your help, very much appreciated

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks, I took the advice from the other member as well, and re-programmed the PCM for the following fan temps:
A/C OFF Low speed turn on @ 187f
A/C OFF High Speed turn on @ 185f
A/C ON 182F

Ill follow up in a few weeks and see what 90F + temps provide me with.

Thank you guys for all your help, very much appreciated

At those temps,you're electric fan will be on constantly,i'd buy another electric fan and carry it with me,lol.I'm not sure what you'll get out of the electric fan for life expectancy when it's running constantly,lol.The majority of tuners usually set the fan temps around 195/196'ish .Try it your way and see how it goes

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Well so much for pointing.........lol

OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Explain this to me please: I just dont understand why the e-fan once it goes on, NEVER shuts off? For example, I have it set to come on at 188f, after truck hits 188 you hear fan come on, then temps drop into 177ish range while cruising, and I drove for 40 mintues thru ATL today, temps never went above 181f and fan never shut off. I dont understand why it wont shut off once its below desired turn on speed. Am I doing something wrong?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Explain this to me please: I just dont understand why the e-fan once it goes on, NEVER shuts off? For example, I have it set to come on at 188f, after truck hits 188 you hear fan come on, then temps drop into 177ish range while cruising, and I drove for 40 mintues thru ATL today, temps never went above 181f and fan never shut off. I dont understand why it wont shut off once its below desired turn on speed. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope,but now you know why most tuners set the fans temps in the 195/196 range,the fan will never shut off at the temps you're using.

OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ill program those temps stated above in just a few! Will fan actually shut off after those temps are programmed in? Like i said above, even when coolant temps are showing 177f, after a 30min drive, the fan never shut off..... so im just sayin!

OP
OP
N

newls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, temps are now programmed to:
AC off low speed turn on 196f
AC off high speed turn on 196
AC On turn on at 192f

Hopefully this will provide decent temps, if not im going back to stock! Thanks a million you guys for all your help

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, temps are now programmed to:
AC off low speed turn on 196f
AC off high speed turn on 196
AC On turn on at 192f

Hopefully this will provide decent temps, if not im going back to stock! Thanks a million you guys for all your help

Once you get the fan to turn off,you can start fine tuning it a bit,by slowly decreasing the temps.It's pretty easy to play with the fan temps,so keep adjusting till you find the on/off sweet spots.