Power 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Challenger 1320 makes 475 lb-ft of torque with 6.4 liters, Chevy LT6 makes 460 lb-ft with 5.5 liters. That's 13% more torque per liter.
GM's 5.5's torque isn't really usable,way to far up the rpm scale,the 6.4s torque is actually usable. S**** put enough money into billet rods/crank etc,and spin a 6.4 to 8500/9,000 rpm like the 5.5 and see what it makes for horsepower,lol.My wifes 1320 eats C8 Vettes pretty easily on the street and at the track,and the C8 actually has a bit of torque. If you want to roll race from a 100 mph up,the little 5.5 will win,but who roll races from a 100+ mph,lol.Horsepower is only torque X rpm/5252,a little single cylinder 5 cubic inch engine making 4 lb-ft spun to 100,000 rpm will make a pile of horsepower for it's size,roughly 305 hp,is it usable in an automotive application no,and that's basically what GM's little screamer 5.5 is trying to do.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adjusted for displacement the 1320 only makes 13 more lb-ft than a 4th gen 1500's 5.7 . 74.22 lb-ft/liter at 4100 rpm vs. 71.93 lb-ft/liter at 3950 rpm .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Adjusted for displacement the 1320 only makes 13 more lb-ft than a 4th gen 1500's 5.7 . 74.22 lb-ft/liter at 4100 rpm vs. 71.93 lb-ft/liter at 3950 rpm .
No ****,wow you can actually do math,but the 6.4 makes 485 horsepower from its 392 cubes or roughly 1.24 hp per cube,while the 5.7 makes 395 from it's 345 cubes or roughly 1.14 hp per cube,differance being the 392's peak torque is farther up the rpm scale,but it's still well with-in a usable range,while GM's little screamer 5.5 isn't making much in the way of torque at a usable rpm.If you want to go fast at Bonneville,the GM 5.5 is what you want,if you want to get across an intersection and down the block quick,the 6.4 is the better engine,lol.GM does have a torque monster engine,but it's 632 cubes,and makes an advertised 1,000 hp,but it's still a pushrod engine,so you won't like it,or give it much credit,lol

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not really sure who made chocolate in your cheerios but we appear to be talking past each other and this is getting stupid.

I said that a modern engine including the truck 5.7 doesn't have a lot of hidden power for an owner to magically unlock. I said that whatever hidden power might be there is probably in the cast exhaust manifolds. I illustrated that even a low production volume, brand new clean slate high performance engine with four cams only makes a little bit more torque when adjusted for displacement. I illustrated that even Mopar's highest factory-spec naturally aspirated version of the Hemi only makes a tiny bit more torque when adjusted for displacement.

That means there just isn't much power to be discovered in our trucks without changing the displacement, boost or nitrous. As I said much earlier in this thread the log manifolds are probably the lowest hanging fruit.

Go on and argue, I can't make this any more plain.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not really sure who made chocolate in your cheerios but we appear to be talking past each other and this is getting stupid.

I said that a modern engine including the truck 5.7 doesn't have a lot of hidden power for an owner to magically unlock. I said that whatever hidden power might be there is probably in the cast exhaust manifolds. I illustrated that even a low production volume, brand new clean slate high performance engine with four cams only makes a little bit more torque when adjusted for displacement. I illustrated that even Mopar's highest factory-spec naturally aspirated version of the Hemi only makes a tiny bit more torque when adjusted for displacement.

That means there just isn't much power to be discovered in our trucks without changing the displacement, boost or nitrous. As I said much earlier in this thread the log manifolds are probably the lowest hanging fruit.

Go on and argue, I can't make this any more plain.
I already told you the 6.4 has more in it with ported heads/intake /cam/headers etc.,the same applies to the 5.7.You appear to think neither engine can make more power naturally aspirated,when you couldn't be farther from the truth. Hell Kyle Tingles put a stock block 5.7 still with stock pistons/rods and crank,stock displacement ,into the mid 10's with heads/cam /headers etc..The fastest 4th Gen Ram on record right now is Rick Spillmans truck,he's running mid 9's naturally aspirated.By no stretch is the factory getting everything available out of the engines,the aftermarket is finally catching up,and there's good parts available now for the Hemi platform in naturally aspirated form and at stock displacement levels. I just like winding you up,lol.But you're not giving the aftermarket enough credit,they've made some big steps in the last couple years as far the Hemi platform is concerned.It's not that hard to pull another 100 horses out of 6.4 with the right combination of higher compression/ heads /cam/intake/headers /tuning etc.

Last edited:

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Straight O2 is (or was) tricky to meter. Visit Don Garlits' museum in Ocala, FL. One of his display cars sported a huge cylinder of compressed air, instead of the usual supercharger, I assume it either did poorly or was banned by the NHRA for obvious safety reasons...

Russ

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Straight O2 is (or was) tricky to meter. Visit Don Garlits' museum in Ocala, FL. One of his display cars sported a huge cylinder of compressed air, instead of the usual supercharger, I assume it either did poorly or was banned by the NHRA for obvious safety reasons...

Russ
I forget the name of the company,but they're experimenting with using compressed air instead of a supercharger on a drag car .I seen pic's of it on facebook a few days ago,but i don't know if they've ran it down a dragstrip yet.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93