Power outlet mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I really like my new (to me) truck but I'm a little disappointed with one thing: the power to the outlets dies when you turn the truck off.

I have one of those cameras that records anything that happens to the front or I'm trying to charge my phone or I've plugged in my GPS, whatever and they go out. Also, I link the phone to the uconnect and then have to reconnect all over again when I start her up again. It's just annoying.

Anyone come up with a mod yet that will keep these outlets and the phone connection on even if the key is off?

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can accomplish this by moving a couple of fuses around in the fuse box as stated in the owners manual.

VNsMxtx.jpg

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Not having a "rear" 12 volt receptacle, I hard wired one in from the under hood power distribution box. I was able to run a 12ga wire from the box through the firewall on the left side where the main harness comes through. From there was able to fish it under the carpet at the upper edge and then under the carpet on the center hump and into the center console. After getting into the console, I split the wire and ran one to a new receptacle that I mounted in the rear of the console and also installed a second receptacle in the front bottom of the console. Now have constant 12volt power in the front and back. I fused the new circuit with a 15 amp which so far has been sufficient to run our 12 volt cooler and also charge a second cell phone. And yes, it sure would be a good idea if at least one was wired constant from the factory.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Phone connection won't stay on cause your phone leaves the area. I'm assuming you work at least 20 ft away from your truck. No point in trying to keep the phone connection constant.

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
You can accomplish this by moving a couple of fuses around in the fuse box as stated in the owners manual.

VNsMxtx.jpg

Thanks, but, I'm not really all that interested in the rear outlet. I'm more concerned with the front. Any mods for that one?

wsutard: I sometimes leave my phone in the truck. I'd like it to stay connected while I'm away from it.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks, but, I'm not really all that interested in the rear outlet. I'm more concerned with the front. Any mods for that one?

wsutard: I sometimes leave my phone in the truck. I'd like it to stay connected while I'm away from it.

Couldn't you get a longer phone charging cord and plug it into the rear outlet?

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Couldn't you get a longer phone charging cord and plug it into the rear outlet?

I'm fairly certain the rear outlet is a USB port, not the cigarette lighter type. I'd go out and check to make sure, but, it's cold outside and I'm an old wimp.:baby:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I too would like an actual answer to this. Very interested.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm fairly certain the rear outlet is a USB port, not the cigarette lighter type. I'd go out and check to make sure, but, it's cold outside and I'm an old wimp.:baby:

I don't have a quad or crew, but from my recollection the last time I drove one, the rear power outlet on the back of the console is a power outlet. There are usb ports on the dash and in the console. Even so, you could get a phone charger cord long enough to reach from the rear power outlet. I do dealer trades for my dealership and I know I have plugged a 12v cooler into the back side of the console when I've driven a crew or quad.

On my Ram (2012 RCSB Express) I've added several additional outlets. I have one in the open "glovebox cubby," one under the driver's seat and one under the passenger's seat. I also have the auxiliary power switches and and control them with a relayed power source. For the winter, I have a heated seat cushion plugged into one that I control with a relayed switch. I've yet to have a fuse problem running my seat cushion, I run my seat heater and phone charger through one circuit. The other switches take trigger voltage from my switched and unswitched power outlets and they control my bed lights, radar detector, scanner, underseat lighting and Garmin nav.

Recheck the fuse block to see if one of your fuses has two possible positions. One should be for "key-on" and the other for constant power. Unless things have changed since 2012, you don't have any Can-bus worries with power outlets and they can easily be modified or reworked to meet your specific needs.

Good luck. Hope you aren't as cold as we were this morning. We had -3 this morning with a "wind chill" warning. Stay warm!

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
For Power, you could mod up a USB port yourself directly connected to the battery. For the phone connection, I'm assuming you mean the bluetooth connection, that requires keeping the entire head unit on while you arent in the truck. Yes, it is sometimes inconvenient for the phone to reconnect to the head unit, but this is automatic so I dont see the point of the effort.

I have the crew cab, 8.4NAV and the usb ports in the center console. One of my USB ports stays on with the truck already, if I am remembering this correctly.

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So, I went out to the truck today and looked in the back for the 12v outlet. I couldn't find it. Anyone tell me where I can find it?

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, I went out to the truck today and looked in the back for the 12v outlet. I couldn't find it. Anyone tell me where I can find it?

Like I said, I haven't been in a crew or quad for awhile. I suppose it depends on which model you have. Perhaps the Tradesman/Express don't have the rear outlet. Maybe you have to have an SLT, Laramie, Sport or Longhorn to have that feature. None-the-less, you should be able to add an outlet with power coming right from the battery. Just be sure to fuse it close to the battery.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Like I said, I haven't been in a crew or quad for awhile. I suppose it depends on which model you have. Perhaps the Tradesman/Express don't have the rear outlet. Maybe you have to have an SLT, Laramie, Sport or Longhorn to have that feature. None-the-less, you should be able to add an outlet with power coming right from the battery. Just be sure to fuse it close to the battery.

Yeah, my Tradesman does not have a rear power outlet.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Express did not, my Big Horn does.

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Alright, let us assume, for the sake of returning to my original question, that my truck lacks the rear outlet, usb or otherwise. Is there a way to make the front outlet and radio/uconnect screen powered on all the time?

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it was the second post here you take the fuse that goes to that outlet and move it in the same place to the other prong. Switches it from ignition on to always on.

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I think it was the second post here you take the fuse that goes to that outlet and move it in the same place to the other prong. Switches it from ignition on to always on.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but, the instructions state... "rear center console power outlet", not the front.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are correct. I thought the front one was selectable also. My apologies.