Power Wagon oversized replacement gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
has anyone in California used a transferflow or Titan diesel replacement tank (around 50 gallons) and modified it to get around CA emissions. I've been told the evap will never pass CA emissions but no one can exactly tell me why as plenty of companies make 45 and 50 gallon replacement tanks for ford 150's and econolines.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
has anyone in California used a transferflow or Titan diesel replacement tank (around 50 gallons) and modified it to get around CA emissions. I've been told the evap will never pass CA emissions but no one can exactly tell me why as plenty of companies make 45 and 50 gallon replacement tanks for ford 150's and econolines.
This is a hot topic for us PW folks. If anyone is using a titan replacement tank they absolutely haven’t posted about it. Many feel if it can handle diesel, it can handle gas, but there’s a host of liability issues that come with it in an accident scenario.
There’s one guy here with a fuel cell (or some other aux tank) in his bed that he pumps into the regular fuel filler.

Being in California, you’ve got a host of other issues to contend with but even those of us in less regulated states don’t have great solutions yet.

There’s an Aussie company, Long Range Automotive, that’s popular among the Toyota crowd that is importing larger volume stock replacement and auxiliary tanks. Ram is picking up steam there and and they’ve already got a 50 gal for 1500s that could possibly be adapted.

OA

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I hadnt thought about the liability in an accident...30 gallons is gonna be a big kaboom either way, not another 20 really changes it?

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i'm tempted to the go the spare wheel tank, I already cant fit my 37 in there so its empty either way

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Emission regulations is the biggest reason they don't do larger "gas" tanks, only diesel. This conversation has been had a million times, there just isn't a legal, viable option for a larger gas tank out there at this time.

It could be done but obviously these companies don't see a big enough market for it to make it worth the engineering time and investment.

Honestly the PW should have a larger tank from the factory. Lack of range was one of the reasons I dumped my PW. Got sick of stopping for gas every couple of days.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I looked into this, just never pulled the 1300$ trigger.

The pet numbers for the Gas tank and Diesel tank are identical through Ram. So this tank should in theory work.

I just don’t have the extra cash laying around to try it.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hadnt thought about the liability in an accident...30 gallons is gonna be a big kaboom either way, not another 20 really changes it?

Emission regulations is the biggest reason they don't do larger "gas" tanks, only diesel. This conversation has been had a million times, there just isn't a legal, viable option for a larger gas tank out there at this time.

It could be done but obviously these companies don't see a big enough market for it to make it worth the engineering time and investment.

Honestly the PW should have a larger tank from the factory. Lack of range was one of the reasons I dumped my PW. Got sick of stopping for gas every couple of days.

My understanding is aftermarket won’t touch it for safety reasons. Gas is a lot more likely to go boom vs. diesel. That said - wholly agree that it’s the single weakest point about my PW. I’m lucky to get 350 miles per tank with my regular, mostly “city” driving. I keep a couple 20L jerry cans for my longer trips just in case.

OA

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If someone had the 1300$ just laying around, I’d say buy the titan, and then drop your stock tank and transfer all your parts over. The. Install it and run it.

If I ever stop having to pay for ******* braces, I would do it. But at this rate I’ll be dead before all the teeth are straight.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I...I ever stop having to pay for ******* braces, I would do it. But at this rate I’ll be dead before all the teeth are straight.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
:D:D:D
Kid #3 braces go on in 1 month. Then the wife wants 'em.o_O

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I cant seem to find anyone that can explain to me the evap issue in California. There has to be a work around

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
I cant seem to find anyone that can explain to me the evap issue in California. There has to be a work around
The 2021 ram,i think has the option for a 50 gal gaser tank but it is listed for the 8 foot bed model,dont know if there is room underneath on the 6.4 bed models

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
The '03-'12 5.9 diesels use a vent relocation kit to move the vent higher up into a vacant space on the tank. Probably engineered into the tank for expansion,but nationwide nobody's posted any fuel seepage from the tank even after filling on a hot day. We pick up 3-4 gallons this way.https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/...-gdp-fuel-tank-vent-kit.html?ref=category:112 There is a company in California that makes custom tanks. Aero Tanks. They state custom work but California and the one-sided legislature probably have their hands tied. http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/dodge.html

Oilbrnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the Long Range Automotive is the way to go, but you'd have to figure out how to tap into the existing EVAP lines and have to have a good OEM source for the fittings. Not to mention the understanding of the system. But I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Issue I have with their tank, it's huge! Not sure how much lower it is than the spare, but it is lower. You'll have to address the suspension (springs) to handle the load of 30 gallons aft of the axle.

Right now I can carry two NATO cans on one of my bumper swings. Depending on what/where I'm going, I'll generally carry at least one can of gas the other water for camp use. Here in the West, I get ~7.5-8 mpg in off-road driving which is mixed with generally a fair amount of 4lo driving. Rig weighs 10k wet.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Titan tank hangs down 2” below the stock tank, for you serious off-roaders that would not be good.

For someone just looking for longer legs, like myself, it would be ok, but again it’s a $1300-1500 gamble till I can lay eyes on both tanks side by side.

If titan would take free returns with free shipping, I’d be all in.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i havent heard great things about the titan midship tank. A friend just went with the S&B tank after using the titan on his old truck and had this to say. "It hung super low, had ballooning issues, scraped my driveshaft and silver zinc straps"