Power Wagon Purchase Checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm considering a purchase of a pre-owned 2018 Power Wagon that I believe is at a local Ford dealership. It has low mileage, and appears in pictures to be in good shape.

I'm interested in advise on what to check thoroughly before signing, and maybe a checklist of items that should be included before I leave with the truck.

One item that caused me to think about asking was my concern about the winch and its controller. Should I actually unspool the cable?

Thank you all in advance.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would bet it got traded in because the original owner hadnt a clue what he was buying and after the fact, realized the low payload and towing, then decided to dump it. the low capacity is usually what turns off alot of people to these trucks. other wise just check normal ****. make sure it hasnt been wrecked or in floods etc. crawl underneath and look for leaks or heavy offroad damage. its not like its 10yr old with 100k so nothing would need replaced from wear and tear. test drive it and make sure it goes down the road straight, shifts good etc. find a short dirt road and do a brief check that 4x4 works ok. simple basic stuff

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only Power Wagon specific items that I would check above and beyond a normal truck:
- make sure the winch controller is actually there, and plug it in and a quick check will show the winch works in both directions. Visual check of the cable will quickly show any obvious issues......wouldn't be surprised if the winch had never actually been used
- verify the lockers and swaybar actually work.....keep in mind they can be a little finnicky and take a while to engage especially if they have never, or rarely, been used.......just like the winch, wouldn't be surprised if they had never been used
- maybe pay a little closer attention under the truck and look for evidence of off-road bashing (dents, scrapes, bends, etc....).....again, good chance it was never used much off-road but there are some that have been beaten on........just keep in mind that dealerships often repaint/recoat the bottoms of vehicles

Can't count the number of people I have dealt with over the years that have 4wd vehicles and have never used 4wd, and don't know how to shift it into 4wd. Guy at work bought a Wrangler Rubicon last year and when I asked about the lockers and swaybar disconnect he looked at me with blank eyes and had zero clue what I was talking about. Our off-road club hosts several "novice trail rides" every year and it's almost guaranteed that somebody will get stuck on the first obstacle of the day and you find out they are in 2wd, and half the time we have to go show them how to shift into 4wd. Last example is a friend's wife you has driven the same 4wd SUV for at least 7-8 years. Last winter she got "stuck" (more like slightly hung up) in a snowy parking lot and had to get the owner's manual out to figure out how to pull the shift lever from 2wd to 4hi.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^^ Yep, what 62blazer said.

Aside from the normal wear and tear check/test drive etc. make sure the lockers actually work as well as the sway bar disconnect and winch.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I'm considering a purchase of a pre-owned 2018 Power Wagon that I believe is at a local Ford dealership. It has low mileage, and appears in pictures to be in good shape.

I'm interested in advise on what to check thoroughly before signing, and maybe a checklist of items that should be included before I leave with the truck.

One item that caused me to think about asking was my concern about the winch and its controller. Should I actually unspool the cable?

Thank you all in advance.
Being that you are from Tennessee, there is a lot of playground in your backyard. The Y on the exhaust is a very vulnerable spot on the truck for Offroad and if you catch the rear axle just right you can get a leak. So check those 2 spots. Key fobs are expensive so get both of those. The hook to the winch may not be attached to the cable or in the truck or . So make sure you get that when you check for the remote. Looks like the other guys answer the question pretty well.
Enjoy the 37 cup holders the 2018 offers.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As stated check the function of the lockers, sway bar disco, and the winch. If the lockers are sluggish to lock that is fairly common. Do some figure eights on dirt or grass and they should both lock up in under 30 seconds. If they fail to engage that's a problem. Beyond that check it over like a regular used 2500.

If you do buy it I strongly advise changing the gear oil in both differentials and cleaning the locker magnets while your in there. Clean locker magnets will help the lockers engage quicker. Also change the transfer case oil

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Assuming an '18 comes with same accessories as a '16: Winch controller, bed extender, cover/plug for the wire harness on tailgate (when tailgate removed), hitch adaptor sleeve, floor mats (depends on trim level) and previous owner service records. Many things to check, too many to list here and others have already pointed out other items to check.

I don't see a need to spool out the winch but to confirm it works, because if the winch is tango uniform or the cable is frayed or broke, I doubt the dealer would make good on it. Besides, if it's still neatly wound, the previous owner likely never used it.

Being an '18, it should still be covered under the basic warranty.

OP
OP
C

Chris_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all.
As I expected, you've offered good advice and covered several key items that may have went overlooked.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 8 speed ZF transmission on the 19’ seems much better than the 6 speed. The 19’ also sets 7mm higher than the 18’. Just food for thought if you can hold out for a 19’.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The 8 speed ZF transmission on the 19’ seems much better than the 6 speed. The 19’ also sets 7mm higher than the 18’. Just food for thought if you can hold out for a 19’.
.276” lolololol. But for sure the 8spd is the game changer.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Be sure it's not a Canadian registered return, no warranty. Window sticker or build sheet will tell you.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
.276” lolololol. But for sure the 8spd is the game changer.

Not sure if this is true or not but I heard the 19’+ have slightly better axle articulation as-well?

I can definitely feel the 51:1 crawl ratio with 8 speed ZF.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Be sure it's not a Canadian registered return, no warranty. Window sticker or build sheet will tell you.

RAM voids your warranty if your truck has any signs off off road use so this isn't really relevant.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
RAM voids your warranty if your truck has any signs off off road use so this isn't really relevant.

And they know that how? A lot of electronics and other things can go wrong that are under warranty and still covered if you don't abuse the truck. I suspect that if you take the truck in with the running board caved in and rock scrapes on the fender and door but otherwise not so much.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would bet it got traded in because the original owner hadnt a clue what he was buying and after the fact, realized the low payload and towing, then decided to dump it. the low capacity is usually what turns off alot of people to these trucks. other wise just check normal ****. make sure it hasnt been wrecked or in floods etc. crawl underneath and look for leaks or heavy offroad damage. its not like its 10yr old with 100k so nothing would need replaced from wear and tear. test drive it and make sure it goes down the road straight, shifts good etc. find a short dirt road and do a brief check that 4x4 works ok. simple basic stuff

Yeah, it’s sad to think of probably how large of a number that is of people who don’t really realize that even though that power wagon is classified as a three-quarter ton pickup, it’s no where near a true three-quarter ton.

What’s really funny is when people start arguing about why they haven’t stuffed the Cummins turbo diesel under the hood of that power wagon… LOL. Just despite the fact that the intercooler would have to go where that winch is and the fact that many think you’re much better off off-road wise with only a 500 pound 392 hemi over that 1000 pound CTD, the truck can’t even tow nowhere near the full capability of that diesel engine so, you really don’t need it. Not to mention the fact that your payload is already down pretty low as it is, that Cummins would probably reduce it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, Is that actually in writing somewhere?

There is another recent post that talks about this issue. Short story.....the comment that FCA will void the warranty if any sign of off-road use is present is false. They do have the right to void the warranty if there are signs of off-road abuse.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is another recent post that talks about this issue. Short story.....the comment that FCA will void the warranty if any sign of off-road use is present is false. They do have the right to void the warranty if there are signs of off-road abuse.

But due to the Magnuson Moss act, wouldn’t they still have to prove that your signs of off-roading was the direct cause of whatever they’re wanting to void your warranty on?