Powered retract running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarheelquality

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2019 2500 crew cab short bed I bought new Saturday. It’s a bit tall for my wife to get in so I am looking at running boards. Has anyone installed power retracting running boards? If so what brand and how hard were they to install? Is the truck already wired for them? thanks

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems that for power steps, Amp Research seems to be the way to go. If you search them, you will find a lot of information. And being in CA, I don't think you will have any issues with them from "slush".. I'm sure others will pipe in on this.

AMP Research PowerSteps - Free Shipping
Ad·www.amp-research.com/powersteps

(949) 221-0023
The original PowerStep & PowerStep XL automatic, electric-powered running board. Invented, Engineered, and Manufactured in the USA. AMP Research is "Innovation In Motion". Free Shipping. Industry Leader. Manufacturer Warranty. Direct from Manufacturer.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yeah, Amp power steps have been around a while. Definitely where I started looking back when I had my 2014. I ultimately decided against them due to cost, but the Ram ones sure are handy on my 2020 Limited now.

Tona Tona Tona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the AMPs for my '19 Classic 1500 4x4. The earlier model has to be hardwired into the truck's wiring system. The newer one is a plup and play arrangement. It plugs into the OBD2 port to get it's signaling to deploy. They cost me $1,500 (yeah, not cheap) but they are quality and well engineered. I'm looking forward to finding the time to install them and get that extra little help into my truck. I'm getting old, with a bad back and a bad knee. It'll be real nice...

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are not the cheapest, but most who have them love them. I see one of the sponsors here, "Got Exhaust" has a sale on them.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My neighbor has a 3/4 ton without running boards and whenever he drives on a gravel road the gravel is tossed up against the sides of his truck. My truck has running boards that stay in place and provide protection for the sides of the truck from anything tossed up from the front and rear tires.

I can understand a retractable step on a motorhome but on a pickup it seems like a dumb thing to have it under the truck where it accomplishes nothing.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I had the fixed boards on my 2500 from new. They did help to protect the sides somewhat. But after I installed the Amp retractable steps , I found that they came down lower and out more. It makes getting in and out much easier.
I had thought about adding mud flaps, but I drive a lot of road miles and haven’t bothered to install any.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, the AMP steps are much easier to exit the truck with than running boards because when they extend they are further from the truck and out a little. I've had mine for around 4 years and they work awesome. I prefer the clean look of no running boards on the side of my truck so the AMP steps provide the look I like plus work better that the standard running boards to enter and exit the truck IMHO. Another thing that is nice is if I have to park somewhere a little sketchy I just open the door and let them extend and then shut the door and stand on them. They will automatically stay extended until I open the door again. They look kind of goofy but will help protect the truck like regular running boards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I got my AMP steps for 1K shipped. If you're patient and willing to do some shopping you can find deals. It took me 4 hours to install them myself with basic hand tools and I'm no mechanic. So far I've had to buy the updated controller for $125 I think it was. Other than that they've been trouble free.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I bought the AMPs for my '19 Classic 1500 4x4. The earlier model has to be hardwired into the truck's wiring system. The newer one is a plup and play arrangement. It plugs into the OBD2 port to get it's signaling to deploy. They cost me $1,500 (yeah, not cheap) but they are quality and well engineered. I'm looking forward to finding the time to install them and get that extra little help into my truck. I'm getting old, with a bad back and a bad knee. It'll be real nice...

I would do the hard wired over the plug in play for a couple reasons.
1. no dongle sitting below dash to catch your knee
2. Plug-N-Play makes it hard to add other OBD stuff such as Edge CTS or other OBD monitor
3. Plug in connections by their nature are subject to more failures over time than hardwired. Especially on something like the OBD port were the dealer plugs in EVERY time you go in for a service.
4. I've heard reports of some wierd operations with the plug-n-play when doors are open. (take this as 2nd hand reports)

When you consider a 10-20year life of the the steps, the extra 1hr to wire the hard wire is a non issue and makes it a more reliable system In the long run.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
heard some horror stories of having issues with powered steps in northern climates with snow/salt. That's why I haven't put them on my 1500. I just taught my wife how to use the handles to climb up in.

DrRemulak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the AMP power step. As others have said, they are very expensive. Regular steps would be too high for certain older relatives to climb in my truck, so I was able to justify it. For the money you’re getting high quality components (IMO). The basic installation of the steps is easy. I had a relatively hard time with some of the wiring, which has to be routed through the firewall. Helps to have long arms.

For those that commented on steps providing protection for the side of the truck, AMP does sell an override switch that will keep the steps in any position you want, so you could keep the extended if you want to. I’ve had them for about 3 months and am very pleased so far.

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m surprised no one has suggested the Mopar factory powered steps. They’re only about $1400 and have the Ram logo on them. That’s what I installed after I got my 2019 and I love them.

blkflg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I installed the AMP Research running boards on my ‘13 Ford F150. They are the same as the ones that RAM uses. I had some small issues with slush / ice in Winter but nothing big. I ordered my ‘19 RAM with them. I would not have another truck without them. I hate the ugly shin bashers that most trucks use.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m surprised no one has suggested the Mopar factory powered steps. They’re only about $1400 and have the Ram logo on them. That’s what I installed after I got my 2019 and I love them.
These are what I’ll be putting on my 2017. I got everything, including parts to build the harness, for $1200. If I can get the radio settings for them to work on the 2017, it’ll be a bonus.

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have them on my 16 power wagon and have had no issues with mud and snow yet, but in the winter lot of mud gets slung up under the running board and will freez. They still work, very rough conditions here in northern az. As i live in an rural part of the county with dirt roads, so far so good. Amp steps i should have mentioned.

RedWolf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi with the Amp Research steps.
Has anyone considered adding a 3 inch body lift to their truck while also having the power steps installed?
I’m being told that you can’t have both the powered steps and a body lift.
Has anyone found out different?