Projectors are .. meh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps I'm expecting too much but he projectors in my 16 are just kinda ok. I expected whiter brighter light .. is it just me? I upgraded to LEDs in the Jeep and maybe I'm just used to being on brink of of being high beamed all the time haha

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are only halogens in there. Convert the lights to HID and the output is much better.

If interested we offer Morimoto HID kits that are Mopar specific so they work nicely with the CANBUS system your RAM has. If interested message me for a quote

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps I'm expecting too much but he projectors in my 16 are just kinda ok. I expected whiter brighter light .. is it just me? I upgraded to LEDs in the Jeep and maybe I'm just used to being on brink of of being high beamed all the time haha

Factory projectors are not very good. But with an HID kit in there you can improve them substantially. Do not put LEDs in a projector unless the projector is specifically designed for led.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill third the HID’s. Super bright!
I have 55w 6000k GTR from headlight revolution. I had an issue early but they resolved it with the lifetime warranty and gave me enough extras to keep my going for years!

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are almost too many threads on this exact subject - re: the Ram projector headlights and how to make them better.

As a few have stated, replacing the bulbs with an HID kit for the low beams will provide the brightest output, and will be an incredible improvement over the halogen bulbs, but, it comes at a cost, in my opinion, of drilling holes in headlight assembly dust covers, and I personally don’t want to do that.

That said, the LED bulb kits have almost caught up to the HID kits, in regards to light output (close enough for me), as kit developers have really come up with led bulb designs that mimic the halogen bulb beam pattern, while offering significantly improved and increased light output, that work well in projector headlight assemblies.

As I said, there are numerous threads on this forum for you to read through as well as headlight bulb review and comparison resources, many offered by headlight bulb retailers.....
Here is one resource that many respect and refer to.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There are almost too many threads on this exact subject - re: the Ram projector headlights and how to make them better.

As a few have stated, replacing the bulbs with an HID kit for the low beams will provide the brightest output, and will be an incredible improvement over the halogen bulbs, but, it comes at a cost, in my opinion, of drilling holes in headlight assembly dust covers, and I personally don’t want to do that.

That said, the LED bulb kits have almost caught up to the HID kits, in regards to light output (close enough for me), as kit developers have really come up with led bulb designs that mimic the halogen bulb beam pattern, while offering significantly improved and increased light output, that work well in projector headlight assemblies.

As I said, there are numerous threads on this forum for you to read through as well as headlight bulb review and comparison resources, many offered by headlight bulb retailers.....
Here is one resource that many respect and refer to.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/

Well if you use AlphaOBD to turn on HID’s, you can bypass all of the relay harnesses and resistors and capacitors needed, so all you need is the bulb, ballast and Ignitor. Then, once you only need those 3 things, you can fit certain hid kits into the oem projector housing without drilling the dust cap, for example the Innovited HID kit fits inside the OEM Projectors with no need to drill anything.

But if you don’t want to spend the money on AlphaOBD and a Bluetooth OBD device, you can always run the wires straight out the seam where the dust cap meets the housing. There is a rubber gasket along the seam where they meet and you can run the wires there and then tighten down the dust cap screws and it is 100% perfectly sealed from all elements. This is how Retroshop installs their HID kits on these lights now, and what they recommend to customers installing them on the OEM Projectors. I’ve personally done this and ran them like that for almost 12 months without a single condensation issue.

So really there is no need to drill the dust caps anymore, either activate the HID in AlphaOBD and stuff the ballast and ignitor into the headlight housing or run the wires along the seam of the dust cap where it meets the housing. Either way, no drilling required.

2012 Ram RCSB 5.7: R/T Replica (in progress) | Mufflex DOD-M80 Y-Pipe Muffler Delete | K&N Intake | Pedal Commander | AlphaRex V1 Headlights | Innovited 35w 6000k HID Low Beam | Katana LED High Beam | MicTuning LED Fog Bulbs | Opt7 LED Tailgate Strip | All Black & Red Badges | Custom Hood & Bed Side Vinyl Graphics | Custom Fire HD 8” Tablet Radio | Alpha OBD w/ Mx+... [Coming Soon: AlphaRex Custom RGB Headlight Build | Katzkins Leather Reupholster + Custom Wrapped Door Panels & lots more]

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm actually partial to the reflectors with good bulbs... And yes, we have a vehicle with LED projectors...

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
HIDs with AlphaOBD. Don't spend money on all those harnesses with resistors and capacitors that try to trick the stock computer. Sometimes they work, but there are more parts to eventually fail. Alpha keeps it simple and the HIDs really are a step up.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
HIDs with AlphaOBD. Don't spend money on all those harnesses with resistors and capacitors that try to trick the stock computer. Sometimes they work, but there are more parts to eventually fail. Alpha keeps it simple and the HIDs really are a step up.

I could never get HID’s to work on my truck since the day I bought it. No combination of relays and resistors would work, no canbus adapters worked, always issues with one side being out or both not working. Finally I gave up and retrofitted Morimoto led projectors. Then I found out about AlphaOBD and I installed the AlphaRex 2019 Style headlights with an Innovited HID kit and it fires up every single time with just the ballast and blubs. Not a single issue yet. AlphaOBD is worth the money over and over. Nothing but praise from me.

2012 Ram RCSB 5.7: R/T Replica (in progress) | Mufflex DOD-M80 Y-Pipe Muffler Delete | K&N Intake | Pedal Commander | AlphaRex V1 Headlights | Innovited 35w 6000k HID Low Beam | Katana LED High Beam | MicTuning LED Fog Bulbs | Opt7 LED Tailgate Strip | All Black & Red Badges | Custom Hood & Bed Side Vinyl Graphics | Custom Fire HD 8” Tablet Radio | Alpha OBD w/ Mx+... [Coming Soon: AlphaRex Custom RGB Headlight Build | Katzkins Leather Reupholster + Custom Wrapped Door Panels & lots more]

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO the AlphaOBD is great for shutting of the bulb error messages but I still recommend the relay harness. This will ensure you supplying good clean power. The biggest problem for HID ballasts is voltage issues like dips and spikes. The relay harness will supply steady clean power. protect your investment with good power.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So what bulb kit does one get if using alphaobd?
I was gonna get the ddm tuning setup which comes with all those extra parts, but i guess their not all needed with the alpha obd

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMO the AlphaOBD is great for shutting of the bulb error messages but I still recommend the relay harness. This will ensure you supplying good clean power. The biggest problem for HID ballasts is voltage issues like dips and spikes. The relay harness will supply steady clean power. protect your investment with good power.
Alfa does not shut off the error messages. It shuts off the PWM so that there is....steady clean power, therefore making the relays redundant.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So what bulb kit does one get if using alphaobd?
I was gonna get the ddm tuning setup which comes with all those extra parts, but i guess their not all needed with the alpha obd

I spent $200 on the Morimoto H7 his kit + relay and also canbus adapters and none of it worked. Returned it all and bought the Innovited 35w h7 his kit off amazon for $40 and it has worked perfect every single time I get into my truck. I highly recommend it as it’s only $40 and works very well.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Plug and play with the DDM Tuning Plus Canbus kit. I've been running the 35w 5500k kit in my 2019 for a bit over a year without issue.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDMPlusCanbusHIDKit

If using AlphaOBD you do not need the Canbus version and you can save some money buying the non-canbus version.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

^^ $35 and it’s all you need (if using AlphaOBD to enable HID’s.)

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If using AlphaOBD you do not need the Canbus version and you can save some money buying the non-canbus version.

True, but isn’t AlphaOBD $50? Not a bad deal if you’re looking to adjust other things in addition to adding HID’s.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
True, but isn’t AlphaOBD $50? Not a bad deal if you’re looking to adjust other things in addition to adding HID’s.

Yes. The android version is $50, I don’t know how much the PC version is but I know if it’s not the same it’s only a dollar or 2 less.

Don’t forget you also need a Bluetooth OBD adapter. I recommend the MX or the MX+ Bluetooth OBD device as it’s what most members on here use and I personally use and it works perfectly with no issues at all.

OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o7CzDbQJVHJP1

PapaCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3.0 liter eco-diesel
Ill third the HID’s. Super bright!
I have 55w 6000k GTR from headlight revolution. I had an issue early but they resolved it with the lifetime warranty and gave me enough extras to keep my going for years!

Same setup for me. Awesome! Waaaaay better than halogen and with projectors way better than LEDs. I consider the headlight upgrade my best add on. Also got the GTR Lighting LEDs for the high beams. All with lifetime warranty.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Wattage, bulb type and color i i know whats needed, but what about those other options on that link you provided?