Projectors are .. meh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced one ballast with an extra I previously purchased from DDM today and no improvement. However, in the process I noted that my factory halogen bulbs were 9012s and DDM shipped me 9005/9006 bulbs with the Ultra Canbus kit. I placed the order over the phone and recall them saying I needed 9005/9006 bulbs, but it looks like the factory projectors on the Laramie Limited use 9012s.

However, other than fitment, which I was able to make work, I wouldn’t think the light output would different.

Any thoughts on this?

Interesting, i had sent them an email and they said 9005 for projectors and highs, 9006 for fogs. On the site it says 9005 bulb or 9006/9011, no option for 9012.
I wonder if an hid bulb is different and its either 35w or 55w and the other numbers are just so they fit the housing their going into....

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DDM already replied to my email from yesterday about this and they said their HID bulbs are 9005/9006/9012 universal, so that’s not the issue. This is driving me nuts. I mean compare the above pics to this, it’s ridiculous.

upload_2019-10-20_7-50-13.jpeg

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JB1: I hate to ask, but if you still have the packaging for your DDM components could you share the part numbers they sent you? Could you also confirm what year your Ram is, the trim model, and whether you have factory projectors? Thanks!

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m in the process of now swapping the HID bulbs with a second spare set I previously purchased from DDM. I noticed that there is a shutter inside the OEM projectors, and it’s closed (it blocks the lower half of the projector). I’m wondering if this shutter is not opening and causing the low light output. I’ve heard others mention this shutter but I’m not sure what’s it’s design purpose is.

Anybody know how this is supposed to work and how I can test whether it’s opening when it’s supposed to?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC the shutter only opens when the high beams are on

Couldn't find the box, guess I threw it away

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DDM already replied to my email from yesterday about this and they said their HID bulbs are 9005/9006/9012 universal, so that’s not the issue. This is driving me nuts. I mean compare the above pics to this, it’s ridiculous.

View attachment 183831

I have the same DDM kit and it’s bright like the pic JB1 shared.

The shutters in the low beam projectors are supposed to open when the high beams are activated to project maximum light output.

Also, I have a 2017 with factory projectors and used dielectric grease on all the connections. I bought two sets, since I planned on doing my fog lights-but ended up getting Morimoto XB fogs.

Pics of bulb box & ballast:

RVkS1te.jpg

dzzFA9b.jpg

Last edited:

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. The shutter seems to be working properly. The low beams throw very little light with the shutter closed. They are super bright with the shutter open when I turn the brights on. Not sure what’s going on. I just replaced the HID bulbs with a spare set and it doesn’t appear to be any better. My last attempt will be to use alfaobd tomorrow to see if the HID setting(s) helps.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought I read these aren't designed with shutters....

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My OEM projectors have shutters. I have a 2014 1500 Laramie Limited.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok i i thought i read it somewhere, im sure mine are the same then

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the alfaOBD HID setting did not improve things. My truck just does not like the DDM Ultra CanBUS system. No complaints about the high beams after the shutter opens in the factory projectors, but the low beams are abysmal.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you saying the shutter redirects light to the high beam reflector? Im not sure i understand this shutter, I thought a bulb for the projector and a bulb for the high, atleast that what i see from the front lol

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you saying the shutter redirects light to the high beam reflector? Im not sure i understand this shutter, I thought a bulb for the projector and a bulb for the high, atleast that what i see from the front lol

Searched and found this for ya

It's on factory projectors and TYCs. It's basically a plastic piece that blocks the upper part of the projector beam. When on low beam, the shutter is down, which you can see as a cutoff in the upper part of the beam. When you switch to high beams, the shutter retracts via a solenoid, allowing your low beam to shine unobstructed. With the extra light from the low beam combined with the high beam bulb, it really throws some light.

Low beam= projector with shutter down

High beam= projector with shutter up + high beam bulb

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990