Protect underneath?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone apply anything on the underside of there truck to protect it and keep rust away?

I got a few little rust spots that I wanna take out with a wire wheel or something and then spray the bottom to seal the metal and keep it protected.

Would bed liner work? I don't feel like taking somewhere to have it done either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Anyone apply anything on the underside of there truck to protect it and keep rust away?

I got a few little rust spots that I wanna take out with a wire wheel or something and then spray the bottom to seal the metal and keep it protected.

Would bed liner work? I don't feel like taking somewhere to have it done either.

There are a couple different things people are doing.

My truck is originally from New York, so the underside has tons of surface rust. So I am in the process of doing is spraying the entire underside with Rust Reformer from Autozone, then going over it with simple black paint.

Other people like to use a product that is specifically made for it, called Undercoating which your parts stores also have. The only reason I didn't use it is I heard (don't know the truth in it) that if you get any sort of water in between the undercoating and you truck, the water will sit there and rust through, because it is sealed, whereas paint is porous so the water will just drip off.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would only use por-15
You can use bedliner but I was happy with the results, really wasn't happy with undercoating

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've tried undercoating. It's mediocre for a season, then just flakes off. I want a solution, not a band aid.

I was sickened when I looked under my Ram with 11k miles on it. I don't understand why the factory can't put a decent finish on ANYTHING under there.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've tried undercoating. It's mediocre for a season, then just flakes off. I want a solution, not a band aid.

I was sickened when I looked under my Ram with 11k miles on it. I don't understand why the factory can't put a decent finish on ANYTHING under there.

I completely agree, never understand why the manufacturers don't put a nice undercoating on. U would think a 30-40k truck would have a nice undercoating applied to the whole under carriage. I have been using this stuff lately and like it Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor. I just crawl under the truck from time to time and if i see some surface rust or anything, spray it down with the fluid film. It does not wash off either, have had it sprayed on the undercarriage for months. Lot easier and more convenient than doing the proper undercoating crap, plus that stuff can be so damn messy. The fluid film is excellent for an all around lubricant and undercoating, leaves the undercarriage of my truck lookin nice and shiny

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
u got me thinkin again, just went out and sprayed some more fluid film on lol. Here's a few pics of what it looks like after

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. Does it treat surface rust, or just inhibit future new rust?

OP
OP
MoparSickness77

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'm gonna get some fluid film and give it a try. Seems good

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I used black laquer spray paint. The blue is the Krlon X metal. Now I just need to get it washed so I can do some more touch ups
000_0031.jpg
000_0033.jpg

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
cheap spray on bed liner the nasty oily kind that every one tells you to aviod
thats what you need just spray 2-4 cans every month or two till you have covered every thing up and when its all covered just start over and keep spraying

also avoid the good bed liners only because they are harder to brush off of nuts and bolts with a wire brush when you need to servise your truck