Question about 77KICK28AB speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hi all,

I have 2018 Ram 2500 crewcab and have already upgraded from RA1 to RA2 radio. (I have the base 6 speaker non-Alpine system.)

So, I've searched and read about 4 ohm replacement dash speakers overpowering/ being louder than the front door speakers.

I remembered I had a 77KICK11 setup that I bought for an older Ram, but didn't like it. So I installed the 3.5" Kickers from that older kit just to see how they sounded, and yep, they definitely overpower the door speakers. So I checked them with a meter and they're 3.7 ohm.

I was looking at the 77KICK28AB kit in order to get clearer/crisper highs. I realize this is a popular upgrade, but I'm curious if the 3.5" speakers in this kit have 8 ohm impedance? I'd like the improved sound but not the overpowering volume. Can anybody who has this kit confirm the impedance on the dash speakers?

*EDIT* I SEE THAT THE DASH SPEAKERS IN THE KIT ARE NOT 3.5", BUT 1" TWEETERS*

I can't seem to find any 3.5" 2-way aftermarket speakers that are 8 ohm...

I'm not new to car audio but I am new to this truck.

Last edited:

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put all new kicker speakers in my truck recently, and yes the dash ones are definitely louder than before but I wouldn't say they completely overwhelm the door speakers. as I've said in other posts the placement of the door speakers is more the problem than anything. I turned the treble and mids down and it helped a lot. see my review on the main audio page if you'd like more feedback on this.

OP
OP
Gibbs

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks, I believe I read where you did the upgrade. I just would like a more balanced sound level between the front doors and the dash. I've already turned down the treble and midrange, and faded a couple clicks to the rear, but it still seems a little out of whack to me. I may look into the resistors that one person did, but not sure i like the idea of something getting hot in the dash.

Perhaps I just need to upgrade the door speakers as well to help balance everything out.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ya I did the same...put a few clicks to the back especially since the back doors have the larger 6x9. that being said, yes I would definitely do the front doors as well in your case. if you use a shim you can fit the kicker 6x9 in the front as well...but if not the 6.5" with an adapter bracket worked great and was an easy swap.

OP
OP
Gibbs

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just now realized that the 77KICK28 kit does NOT have 3.5" dash speakers; rather it has 1" tweeters. I also edited my original post.

I guess this is essentially like having a component set.

I just ordered the 77KICK28AB set so we'll see how it sounds once it gets here.

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
You could always just leave the OEM dash speakers in there, unless you are going to amp the system.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best sound stage you'll get is when the larger (midbass) driver and the tweeter driver are coming from the same location.

Most vehicles have the door speakers "too low" to effectively do this, but I would look into a 2-way speaker that fits into the stock opening and make a wedge-shaped spacer that will angle the speaker up from the bottom a bit to try and project it at the driver (and passenger).

Barring that plan, another option would be to use components and install the tweeter onto the trim piece near the side view mirrors. Your goal then would be to aim the tweeter and the door speaker to "meet" at the same spot, near the driver and passenger....probably cant get it perfect, but close enough is better than what we have stock.

Without replacing the head unit thats probably the best we can do....I used to have an Alpine head unit with timing correction controls built in and I could make everything "arrive" perfectly to my ears.

Im not in a rush to replace my stock speakers and I will NEVER replace the stock head unit (since I want the features it has), but if I were I would go with a 2 or 3-way 6x9 and a homemade spacer to tilt them up (some speakers have tiltable drivers too). The spacer would help tilt the speaker AND create more backspace, which might be necessary anyway.

Then Id disconnect the dash speakers. I dont feel like they are aimed very well in stock form anyway, so Im not sure we would "miss" much to begin with.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I just now realized that the 77KICK28 kit does NOT have 3.5" dash speakers; rather it has 1" tweeters. I also edited my original post.

I guess this is essentially like having a component set.

I just ordered the 77KICK28AB set so we'll see how it sounds once it gets here.

in my experience the tweeters in that kit are harsh.....even with the treble turned way down. I ended up putting the stock speakers back in the dash.

the 6x9's in the doors were great....the bass is so much better that it rattles the door panels a lot lol

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in my experience the tweeters in that kit are harsh.....even with the treble turned way down. I ended up putting the stock speakers back in the dash.

the 6x9's in the doors were great....the bass is so much better that it rattles the door panels a lot lol
X2 on the harsh side. I have the set in my work truck now and CS's in my truck that aren't hooked up. Going to try them running of the factory HU today and keep the 693's in the doors on the Alpine amp.

OP
OP
Gibbs

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the info about the Mopar Kickers being on the harsh side; I had to cancel my order anyway due to a death in the family and financial constraints. :(

After trying the 3.5" speakers from the old 77KICK11AB kit, they were too harsh even with the treble and mid turned down and faded toward the back. I just put my factory dash speakers back in and the system is much more balanced.

I have no plans to replace the HU unless I eventually find a good deal on a 8.4" RA3 or RA4. I've been through all the crazy sound systems in my younger days and really enjoyed it, but I have ringing and hearing loss in my left ear and listen to things much more subdued now. Plus I know that its a snowball effect with the upgrades--one thing leads to another.

I may eventually just replace the front door speakers with some quality 6x9 or 6.5" coaxials, especially if I could find some with the tweeter on a swivel where they could be aimed. I know there used to be some floating around back in the day, but I have no idea now.

Appreciate the suggestions and information. I'll eventually figure something out that sounds better without being overly harsh.

OP
OP
Gibbs

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The best sound stage you'll get is when the larger (midbass) driver and the tweeter driver are coming from the same location.

Most vehicles have the door speakers "too low" to effectively do this, but I would look into a 2-way speaker that fits into the stock opening and make a wedge-shaped spacer that will angle the speaker up from the bottom a bit to try and project it at the driver (and passenger).

Barring that plan, another option would be to use components and install the tweeter onto the trim piece near the side view mirrors. Your goal then would be to aim the tweeter and the door speaker to "meet" at the same spot, near the driver and passenger....probably cant get it perfect, but close enough is better than what we have stock.

Without replacing the head unit thats probably the best we can do....I used to have an Alpine head unit with timing correction controls built in and I could make everything "arrive" perfectly to my ears.

Im not in a rush to replace my stock speakers and I will NEVER replace the stock head unit (since I want the features it has), but if I were I would go with a 2 or 3-way 6x9 and a homemade spacer to tilt them up (some speakers have tiltable drivers too). The spacer would help tilt the speaker AND create more backspace, which might be necessary anyway.

Then Id disconnect the dash speakers. I dont feel like they are aimed very well in stock form anyway, so Im not sure we would "miss" much to begin with.

Once upon a time, I had a 1990 Honda Accord with a great sounding system. I had component sets with midbass in front doors, but had the tweeters mounted on the trim near the kickpanels where they aimed up toward your ear. It sounded amazing, so I know what you mean about having everything aimed/staged correctly. But on that car, you were very close to the speakers even though they were mounted at bottom of door panels. You just sat so much lower that it worked out very well.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also removed the 1" tweeters and went back to the OE dash speakers. The tweeters were to loud making the drivers side to dominant . Maybe if they were 8 ohm . I found adjusting the mids and highs up a little sounds much better than the kicker 1" . Maybe the 3.5's would of been better. I should of ordered a set of each instead of two with the one inch tweeters so I could of experimented being I have a reg cab and only used 6x9s in the rear corners and front doors.