Question about those that own 6'4" vs 5'7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsebastian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
So I'm buying a new Ram. I have some specific requirements, which include the 3.92 rear, bucket seats, no tow package (I will not pay extra for manual mirrors) and 18 inch wheels. The wheels are not a deal breaker, but I would prefer not to pay $1500 for wheels, plus I like the ride on the 18s better (more sidewall).
I wanted a 5'7" because I don't really haul a lot that I would I need the extended bed for, and after reading some of the postings hear, do worry just a bit about manueverability.
Of course, we have not searched a 300 plus mile radius and cant find any of what I want that the dealer is willing to give up to the dealer I am working with.

My dealer has a 5'7 with everything I want except the bucket seats, and a 6'4" with everything I want with 20 inch wheels (again Im not too concerned with 20s as I would take them off and sell them after purchasing a set of 18 inch Rebel wheels and tires, probably come out at least close to even or a couple of hundred in the hole)

So for those that have driven both, what say you about living with the 6'4" box? Does it suck parking, does it slow it down? Any do any light off-roading or overlanding with it?

Thanks for your assistance. I'm really bummed out about it.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went from a short box to a long box. Just bought my 18" Coopers prior to trade in so had them swapped between thev2 trucks.
The long box has it's down side. Watch where you park at stores. Parking lots are not always your friend. I have a 2500 an have at times found myself backing up, pulling back up while turning the wheel then backing back up to get going to straight. As for off road it can be a pain depending on the situation. I have a 30ft camper I drag to hunt club an I have to turn it around to park it. The distance between the brush an the trees across the road make it a "snug" fit.
I haul a lot more so when camping so I can an do overlook the little hassles a long box can create. Maybe I've just gotten used to it to who knows.
As for ride I can tell a difference while towing the camper but nothing when I'm empty. Fuels mileage is a tick better but I went from a 2015 to a 2020, same 6.4 with 373 gears.
If you don't want to be inconvenienced parking in some parking lots a long box is no big deal or different than a short box. If you like or need to always get the closest spot to the store door you better stick with a short box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
The 1500 and 2500 are different animals, the 2500 is not as maneuverable as the 1500 and it has more to do with steering radius than box size- I just swapped from a short bed 1500 to a 2500.
On the 1500, the longer bed also gives a longer wheelbase, which is better for ride quality and towing stability. The difference is about 1' overall, not drastic. The 6'4 1500s aren't very common in my area, but I find the larger bed to be more useful than the 5'7 bed. I can fit my mountain bikes standing in the bed with the wheels straight, which I could not do on my 1500 short bed, so it makes carrying 3 bikes with a pvc DIY rack super easy.
If you're doing light off-roading, you'll be fine. If you're overlanding with it, you'll be spending some money on suspension and other mods for more clearance anyway but you'll liekly want more space from the larger bed. The power wagon seems to do just fine with a 6'4 bed ;)

OP
OP
L

lilsebastian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a short box to a long box. Just bought my 18" Coopers prior to trade in so had them swapped between thev2 trucks.
The long box has it's down side. Watch where you park at stores. Parking lots are not always your friend. I have a 2500 an have at times found myself backing up, pulling back up while turning the wheel then backing back up to get going to straight. As for off road it can be a pain depending on the situation. I have a 30ft camper I drag to hunt club an I have to turn it around to park it. The distance between the brush an the trees across the road make it a "snug" fit.
I haul a lot more so when camping so I can an do overlook the little hassles a long box can create. Maybe I've just gotten used to it to who knows.
As for ride I can tell a difference while towing the camper but nothing when I'm empty. Fuels mileage is a tick better but I went from a 2015 to a 2020, same 6.4 with 373 gears.
If you don't want to be inconvenienced parking in some parking lots a long box is no big deal or different than a short box. If you like or need to always get the closest spot to the store door you better stick with a short box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have no problems parking further away, I normally do anyway as I don't see the value in driving around for 5 minutes to avoid 45 seconds of walking.

I just have reservations. I know it's only 9 inches, but...

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I had a 5.5' bed on my previous Nissan Titan, and have a 6'4" bed on my 2500 Mega cab now. It is much longer of a truck being a mega cab and a longer bed, but I definitely prefer the longer bed. We are on a week long vacation that required loading up bins of food, luggage and bikes. It is much easier now than with the 5.5 bed.

It is better to back into tight parking spots than to pull in forward, but still can be a challenge, I think it's would be quite a bit easier with a crew cab variant (instead of my mega cab). I live in suburbia, so if you were in a dense urban city, it might be too much of a pain for parking.

Not sure why you wouldn't get the tow package because of mirrors? You can get power tow mirrors (I think that is standard in some trim levels). If you ever tow anything, you will be glad, and it will be easier to resell the truck down the line, I think.

OP
OP
L

lilsebastian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 5.5' bed on my previous Nissan Titan, and have a 6'4" bed on my 2500 Mega cab now. It is much longer of a truck being a mega cab and a longer bed, but I definitely prefer the longer bed. We are on a week long vacation that required loading up bins of food, luggage and bikes. It is much easier now than with the 5.5 bed.

It is better to back into tight parking spots than to pull in forward, but still can be a challenge, I think it's would be quite a bit easier with a crew cab variant (instead of my mega cab). I live in suburbia, so if you were in a dense urban city, it might be too much of a pain for parking.

Not sure why you wouldn't get the tow package because of mirrors? You can get power tow mirrors (I think that is standard in some trim levels). If you ever tow anything, you will be glad, and it will be easier to resell the truck down the line, I think.

No the Tow Mirrors on the 1500 delete the power mirrors. They are not power folding and not heated as far as I know. I don't want them.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I had a ram 1500 with 5.7 box, and now a Power wagon with 6.4 box.

As said above. its a bit different comparing a 1500 to a 2500.

It is a bit longer, and obviously the wagon is just bigger in general. But its not too difficult to park. I actually find it easier to back into parking spaces, because then you have the steering and ultimately pivot point on the opposite end. i think it makes it easier anyway.

I like 6.4 box. mainly because now i can put a larger truck tent in the bed. Makes for more room when camping :)

Edit: Oh, and regarding off roading.. pin striping, and the occasional scratches and dings are to be expected.... but that hasnt stopped me yet! love off roading this thing.

shurik74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I had the same dilemma 5.7 or 6.4, ended up with 6.4. It's been a month so far no complains on maneuvering or parking, also I think truck looks a little better with longer bed :)

Nautikos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I've always had long bed trucks. My 2500 was a long bed quad cab and my last truck an F-350 dually. Parking has never been an issue except the dually width wise. I just picked up a 2020 1500 5'7" bed. I don't haul as much as I used to but I enjoy the extra room in the cab. I'd trade it any day. The shorter wheel base makes for a slightly rougher ride on some of these screwed up bay area freeways, but not it isn't anything to complain about. It is probably the best riding truck I've ever owned.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No the Tow Mirrors on the 1500 delete the power mirrors. They are not power folding and not heated as far as I know. I don't want them.
This is true for 19 and 20. 2021 the power tow mirrors and surround view will be available for 1500.

Not sure what trim you are looking at...but also keep in mind that the class IV hitch is not standard on tradesman and Bighorn. If you are getting either and do not get the tow package, chances are you will only get the bumper class III hitch.

I drive a crew cab 2500 long bed...the 8 foot one. I park in any parking space so long as the 2 beside me have parked correctly.

As @LeesEvoX said. I back into my spots for both ease of entering and exiting.

Me personally...i do nit like the look of the 5'7 bed. One reason I passed on the REBEL. I like the large crew cab...but didnt want to pass up the 6'4 bed and the wife would not accept the quad cab.

But...i also couldnt talk myself into going back to a 1500.

I really want a Powerwagon...but I just absolutely love my 8 foot bed. So much more versatility.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went from quad cab 6'4 to crew cab 6'4. I didn't notice any real difference in maneuverability or parking. It's an 8" longer wheelbase, which isn't much. The 5th gens are 4" longer than the 4th in the same configurations.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My dealer has a 5'7 with everything I want except the bucket seats, and a 6'4" with everything I want with 20 inch wheels (again Im not too concerned with 20s as I would take them off and sell them after purchasing a set of 18 inch Rebel wheels and tires, probably come out at least close to even or a couple of hundred in the hole)

So for those that have driven both, what say you about living with the 6'4" box? Does it suck parking, does it slow it down? Any do any light off-roading or overlanding with it?

Thanks for your assistance. I'm really bummed out about it.
Check with your dealer about swapping 18 inch wheels for the 20's if you want the truck with the 6'4" bed. Most dealers in my area won't charge extra for this if you're wanting to swap larger wheels for smaller ones. They usually will charge if you want to swap to larger wheels though.

The only real concern I can see with getting a CC with the longer bed is fitting it in a garage. Many garages aren't large enough to accommodate a truck with this configuration.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2016 CC w/6'4" bed. I previously had a 1998 QC w/5'7" bed. When I was looking for my current truck I had certain criteria as well.
1. Crew Cab
2. Hemi
3. 4X4
4. 6'4" bed
5. 17" wheels
6. Seating
7. Radio
8. Color

The top six were all in the truck I found. I have few issues with parking my biggest adjustment was turning corners. Kept hitting the tires. Big difference between the two trucks. 139" vs 149.5".
I carry my fishing equipment with me almost daily and since I only have two rods shorter than 6'6", the 5'7" bed just isn't an option. I love having the additional length and feel that outweighs any minor parking hassles.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
[
1998 QC w/5'7" bed
There was no 5'7 bed in 1998.

6'6 was the shortbed. In 1998 you could still get a 1500 QC with the 8 foot bed also.

In 2003 they went to the 6'4 bed but still offered the longbed with QC.

In 2009 they got the Crew Cab and 5'7 bed and dropped then 8 foot bed on QC or CC 1500.

Just some info.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
[

There was no 5'7 bed in 1998.

6'6 was the shortbed. In 1998 you could still get a 1500 QC with the 8 foot bed also.

In 2003 they went to the 6'4 bed but still offered the longbed with QC.

In 2009 they got the Crew Cab and 5'7 bed and dropped then 8 foot bed on QC or CC 1500.

Just some info.
Yep. Just looked it back up. Mine had a 6.5 bed for a wheelbase of 139". Bed seemed shorter than that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lilsebastian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate all the replies. After some searching the dealer was able to find what I wanted initially. A granite crew cab with level 1 big horn, buckets, 5’7 box, 3.92 rear, 18 inch wheels and trailer brake. The one he found also happens to remote start and some park assist sensors, which I’m okay with.
20% off msrp. Plus a true fair price for my trade (what it’s worth plus $500).
I know the 6’4 is probably marginally more utilitarian but I’ve always liked the short beds and now I don’t have to fret over maneuvering. I have a 5x8 utility trailer and a small enclosed so I’m happy.
I would have been happy if the truck had the bed package but I’ll get spray in bedliner linex right around the corner from my house so no biggie.
Plan on lifting it a modest two inches and putting rebel wheels with Falken A/T on there, and probably a rear locker, just don’t know what I’m going to do first. I don’t want to spend to much at the outset.

I got 10k of MSRP of a 50k truck so I’m pretty happy.
Now the anticipation of getting it here and ready from the dealer 300 miles away.....

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I traded in a Honda Ridgeline with a 5' bed for a Warlock with a 6.4 bed. My biggest issue with the Ridgeline was the 5' bed. I always needed another foot. I really like the 6.4 bed on the Warlock. The Warlock drives better than the Ridgeline. As far as parking, I don't park next to anyone. I park as far out as possible. Drives my wife crazy.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hee hee reading about parking woes
Try driving/ parking a crew cab long bed (8 ft!) dually!
I'm sure some of you have, if not let me tell you it gives a whole 'nother meaning to the phrase big ass truck! :)