Question and Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldnslow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am new to this and looking for some advice and help. I will try to keep this short and sweet.

a little background first

I have a 2012 Power wagon. Purchased used with 30,000 miles no dents, or dings. It was in great condition when i purchased it about 3 years ago from a dodge dealer.

Now over the last 6 months have had some major issues.

September 10 my transmission **** the bed. Towed to dealer and turns out a cellnoid pack went bad (according to the dealer) I am not a mechanic all i know the truck stop moving going up a hill for now apparent reason. Wasn't driving it hard and normal day dry roads in 2 hi.

Dealer replaced and covered it under warranty. The truck at the time had about 64,000 miles on it.

February 10. Truck died again. We had a snow storm and had about 4 inches of snow with ice all over the roads. Had the truck in 4 high for a day and half of slow mild driving. Left my house drove about 100 yards and the truck came to a violent stop. No idiot lights on. Didn't hit anything just stopped. I took out of 4 hi tried to move nothing. Right rear tire just spun. Put in 4 low and the truck grunted and groaned and slightly moved. Kept in 4 low and back it home. Parked in garage. Called tow truck.

Now the dealer said after looking it over said the front differential needs to be rebuilt. They are not sure if it is covered under warranty and if not then it would cost $5500.

I have had my truck in 4 low about 3 times. just to make sure it worked and didn't do anything crazy.

My truck has 66,000 miles on it.

how does something like this happen?

is the normal at 66k miles?

wouldn't this be covered under power train?

any help or advice would be great

This is my first and very likely my last dodge. I have owned ford and chevy and never anything like this. My last truck was an 08 f250 with 110k miles no issues at all.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Originally you had a 5 year 100K mile warranty/
That ran to 2017 +/- unless you bought something different from the dealer at purchase.

If your fluid was low, or contaminated, in the front diff it could fail.
Its interesting it rolled in 4WD low if diff was bad. It should have rolled in 2WD.

There have got to be shops other than the dealer willing to either put in a gently used junkyard diff or rebuild it for a lot less than the dealer...call around.

OP
OP
O

Oldnslow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info.
My truck is at the dealer I was under the impression the warranty was still good. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer to let me know if it is covered or not. My major problem is I would have to get a tow to another shop and I am currently out of state. My GF is trying to handle all this for me.

OP
OP
O

Oldnslow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you by chance know the life of Diff fluid? again, I have only had it in 4 low about 3 times. 4 hi about 5-7 times. Normally when we have snow which is rare. Or if the boat launch is extra slimy

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info.
My truck is at the dealer I was under the impression the warranty was still good. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer to let me know if it is covered or not. My major problem is I would have to get a tow to another shop and I am currently out of state. My GF is trying to handle all this for me.
ask them for pictures of the diff with the cover off.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Originally you had a 5 year 100K mile warranty/
That ran to 2017 +/- unless you bought something different from the dealer at purchase.

If your fluid was low, or contaminated, in the front diff it could fail.
Its interesting it rolled in 4WD low if diff was bad. It should have rolled in 2WD.

There have got to be shops other than the dealer willing to either put in a gently used junkyard diff or rebuild it for a lot less than the dealer...call around.

Power Wagon differentials can be hard to come by. The OP may be in the for cost of a new one if he doesn’t have warranty coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Power Wagon differentials can be hard to come by. The OP may be in the for cost of a new one if he doesn’t have warranty coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then he should start calling around....shouldn't he?