question on the Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just completed the install of my Vararam, a few questions and being that its Saturday, I didn't want to wait till Monday to call Matt.

1st can you install the original engine shroud with the Vara?

2nd the instructions say to disconnect the battery for 2 hours, if I have a Diablo installed is this step still necessary?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just completed the install of my Vararam, a few questions and being that its Saturday, I didn't want to wait till Monday to call Matt.

1st can you install the original engine shroud with the Vara?

2nd the instructions say to disconnect the battery for 2 hours, if I have a Diablo installed is this step still necessary?

Thanks!
I kept the engine shroud on, found that it helped with making the Vararam level. I added a catch can, Vararam and installed the Trinity all at the same time, so I didn't do the battery pull thingie.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I took my engine shroud off. I don't know how leaving the shroud on will affect the crank case breather they supply. My engine is tuned with the DS too. I feel it's always a good idea to disconnect your battery whenever doing any performance upgrade.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would still disconnect the battery even though you have a tuner installed. I do this anytime I add a new mod that affects airflow in or out of the motor.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
and the reason for disconnecting the battery is to reset the computer or what?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes, it is to reset your computer so that it adjusts to the increased airflow quicker. The computer will adjust on its own, but it usually takes a week or 2. Disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes will do the same thing so that you feel the gains as soon as you complete the install.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Yes, it is to reset your computer so that it adjusts to the increased airflow quicker. The computer will adjust on its own, but it usually takes a week or 2. Disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes will do the same thing so that you feel the gains as soon as you complete the install.

oops nevermind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I had assumed that the Diablo, would do that, next question, will I need to reload the tuner after the disconnect?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The Diablo will reset the computer every time you load a new tune, but if the tune is already in the truck, it will not reset itself after each mod. You would need to reload a new tune in order to use the Diablo to reset the computer.

OP
OP
R

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir! Did the battery disconnect, gonna take it for a rip, just waiting on the catch can! :)

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
i just installed the vararam today and when putting everything back together i also wondered if the engine shroud went back on or not but i left it off because it makes sense to leave it off to allow the crank case filter to breath more freely.

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i just picked up a 15 sport on sat and thinking about the vararam i normally would use s&b my concerns are water and other road crap getting in there any thoughts on this

OP
OP
R

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove in a down pour yesterday and didn't have any issues. I'm looking for a wrecked truck, I'm thinking about scavenging the engine cover and do some carving to make it fit over the new vent.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I wouldn't worry about rain water getting in the vararam.I did have to wipe out the vararam after 1700 miles through north Dakota,Montana,Washington ,and Oregon. But it wasn't much especially to the thousands of bugs i killed. I had to clean the windshield everything I got gas. It functions well,looks good, and is customizable customizable. If you like it get it

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i just picked up a 15 sport on sat and thinking about the vararam i normally would use s&b my concerns are water and other road crap getting in there any thoughts on this

i had some snow/ice build up on the front of the filter during the winter months. didn't care for that and switched to the s&b.

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i had some snow/ice build up on the front of the filter during the winter months. didn't care for that and switched to the s&b.

Thanks bud that was a big concern as this will be driven non stop in the winter as my 06 cummins gets parked for the season