Question regarding current used vehicle market sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, my truck is at the dealership right now getting a diagnostic regarding a no start/ no crank. I am assuming a new PCU will most likely be the fix but I am waiting for the phone call from the dealer to confirm. Other than that, truck is great and this being its first issue since I bought new. My understanding is a PCU can be a common failure and relative easy fix for a dealer. Anywho, I cant help but wonder about maybe upgrading to something else/ newer. There really isnt a "need" but the thought has crossed my mind.

Anywho, 1 owner, no accidents, white 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, max tow, 3.92 gearing. No engine mods ever, LEER 100XR shell, upgraded wheels/ tires (tires may need replacing within next year or two), bumper and I took all my Baja Designs lights off. Some small parking lot style door dings on both sides (hard to see in photos but can be seen in person). Other than the no start/ no crank, it was running perfect with zero issues. What do you guys think I could get for this truck private party and/ or trade in once fixed by the dealer? Leaning more towards private party so I can squeeze a couple drops of money out for the next purchase :D

NOTE: Truck is not for sale at this time on this forum. An ad will be placed in the for sale section once I get the truck back from the dealer. This is not a "feeler." Please refrain from PM'ing me until you see the truck in the for sale section.

EDIT: 97,000 miles :D

IMG_E0297.JPG

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Used to be private party would get you more dollars, but with chip shortage the big boys are giving unheard of dollars to buy used rams. Check it out places like Carvana are just giving way more then the normal amount, plus you don't have to play salesmen games with some stranger. You get an offer from these places, take it or leave it. two minute offer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might be hard getting the part due to chip shortage.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Used to be private party would get you more dollars, but with chip shortage the big boys are giving unheard of dollars to buy used rams. Check it out places like Carvana are just giving way more then the normal amount, plus you don't have to play salesmen games with some stranger. You get an offer from these places, take it or leave it. two minute offer.
Agree.... We were going to sell our old 2007 Ford Edge. 180k. Figured we'd ask 1500, college town and all. Dropped by Auto Nation on a whim, just curious. Initial offer was 1560, asked if he could do better. Got the old "let me check with my manager" line. Yea. Right. Came back at 1850. Take it!!

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
00_exterior-FL.jpeg

I private-sold my '15 2500 4x4 Tradesman RC/LB/5.7/3.92/65K miles right at the end of June (2021) for $27,500. Best dealer trade-in offer was $22K, and Vroom offered $24K.

Only one data point, but hope it helps.

es

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Agree.... We were going to sell our old 2007 Ford Edge. 180k. Figured we'd ask 1500, college town and all. Dropped by Auto Nation on a whim, just curious. Initial offer was 1560, asked if he could do better. Got the old "let me check with my manager" line. Yea. Right. Came back at 1850. Take it!!
Did you ever notice that whenever a salesman goes to talk to the manager he comes back with coffee & a doughnut.... ;) :rolleyes:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should check with a few dealers on a new Tk. I've known a few guys who've gotten tremendous deals trading in their truck about your age. I mean like way more than used pickups were selling or last year. Right now the market is super high, and it may change sooner than we know. I personally wouldn't wait ..git er dun!

Ultimately it's the 'deal' they put together which is a combination of your trade and discount on a new truck (regardless of what they 'tell' you they're going to give you). The other thing is if you can't sell it right away, this sellers market could change pretty quick. All the houses in our area that have come up for sale since mid June are still for sale (in the spring people were offering 10k over asking!). I think things are softening up, regardless what realators are reporting. If the housing market softens, it's going to drag the car market down too. There was a report recently used car sales are softening up too.

If you are thinking of trading up (and I would seriously do that), the sooner the better. Eventually the economy will soften up some, dealers will get their chips, then they're going to discount the heck out of the glut of 10's of thousands of new vehicles sitting in corn fields right now! They'll be great financing deals. When that happens a used '14 won't have near the value it does today.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
It looks like you have a couple other rigs right now. If you are serious about selling, I would sell now while the market is insane and wait for the bubble to burst. I don't think there is any way this madness can continue for too much longer. Once things mellow out, your dollar will be much more valuable. Good Luck!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep in mind that if you trade that is "x" amount of dollars you are Not paying taxes on the new vehicle so factor that in. You may get $1K more in private sale but depending on value and taxes in your area you could be getting $1500 off in taxes so trading is the better option.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind that if you trade that is "x" amount of dollars you are Not paying taxes on the new vehicle so factor that in. You may get $1K more in private sale but depending on value and taxes in your area you could be getting $1500 off in taxes so trading is the better option.

what's this taxes you are talking about.....man I am glad Montana does not have sales tax.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Depends on the state. Hell, some states charge tax on full MSRP, not even what you pay for it!

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Looks like used prices may have peaked in June (barring future market disruptions):

US-CPI-2021-09-14-used-vehicles_.png

Source: poke here

The CPI for used vehicles fell by 1.4% in August from July, the first decline from the ridiculous spike as some price resistance is finally starting to crop up. It pushed down the durable goods CPI, shown above. Retail prices follow wholesale prices, and used vehicle wholesale prices started ticking down in June from their equally ridiculous spike, but prices remain ridiculously high. The CPI for used vehicles is still up by 32% from a year ago.

es

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Depends on the state. Hell, some states charge tax on full MSRP, not even what you pay for it!

Absolutely, I should have spelled that out more clearly. In general I think the majority do give you the break on taxes (at least the states I have lived in have).

Trunk Monkey

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
What states charge vehicle sales tax based on MSRP vs. actual sale price? Thats a new one on me.

I guess if you’re paying over MSRP on a Hellcat redeye edition there would be some benefit in that.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
^^ THIS ^^

My lease on my 2018 Big Horn was coming due in May. My lease buyout was $23,679. In January I contacted Carvana went through their process and got an offer of $26,550. Took it to a Ford dealership and got an offer of $27,000. Same day I looked at my exact truck on Carvana, except it had 15,000 more miles on it and it was listed at $33,700. Went on CraigList and saw a very similar truck to mine at a dealership for $34,200.

I ended up buying my leased truck.

The point is--don't dismiss Carvana or dealerships. They are dying to get used trucks.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Not sure how much this will help but it's my sons recent experience. He had a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's loaded except leather, sunroof, and heated seats. Truck had never ever been back to the dealer for anything (salesman even commented that the last carfax report was at 6000 miles when he bought it). He was rear-ended and the hitch was bent, rear bumper bent and both bed sides dented from the bumper hitting them but that was all repaired. About $3000 damage and he had pics to show salesman. Truck had 95,000 miles on it. This was 2 or 3 months ago so pretty recent. Dealer only had 9 new vehicles on their lot and 3 were trucks. 1 1500, 1 2500 Cummins (the one he was looking at) and 1 2500 6.4. The other 6 new ones were cars. They only offered him $29,000 for his truck. I was with him and he the dealer would not budge. His new 2500 Cummins was $68,000 and they would not budge on it either. A few days later they listed his truck for $49,000. It was only about $55,000 new. I'm sure they didn't get that for it but bet the got $40,000.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get a great idea daily on values (private sell, trade, etc) by going online and running thru KBB, Edmunds, Carvana, and Carmax, etc. I've sold 2 vehicles this year (1 traded in and 1 sold outright (my beloved Ram)). Carmax tends to offer the most on cash offer and is all of a 1 hour process to hand over the keys in my experience. They beat KBB value by about 10%.
Car values have maxed out with a slow fall to come through end of year IMO. With GM and now others formally announcing pulling back on production (regardless of reason) thru the next couple months, it will hold pricing and demand seems about steady for now.
The internet, a cup of coffee, and an hour are your friends in knowing typical values for your area for your vehicle.
Lastly, trade-in probably gets you best options of good deals with dealer knowing he has another vehicle to move. But absolutely shop it around before saying yes!

Laidback50

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1/2
Engine
It’s not a Ram but I traded my GMC SIERRA 1500 in on a 2007 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 with 42 k miles. They gave me $44k which is what I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
If at any point during negotiation you never stood up and said, "let me go home and think about it", you did not get your best deal.
( I have 35 years in the retail automobile business and retired from one of the largest highest volume dealers in the USA.
I was the deal desk HMFIC )