RA3 Nav Activation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So did FCA crack down on people selling the Activation codes to unlock the nav on a RA3??? It seems like all the sources that could provide it suddenly dried up....

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes they did, that are all gone.
I activated mine but honestly if I was to do it again I think I would find a RA4 radio and just swap them out. That way I would get the HD radio as well.

Ramtruck16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they did, that are all gone.
I activated mine but honestly if I was to do it again I think I would find a RA4 radio and just swap them out. That way I would get the HD radio as well.

The 8.4 radio i got was dirt cheap and i just wanted the bigger screen, the previous owner had the Nav activated so that was a bonus. Im like you I should have waited and got an RA4 radio instead. This one is fine what for i need if for though..

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, even if you have an 8.4 NAV radio, you still have to pay to turn the NAV on? I've been looking at upgrading to a RA4 radio head, I'd have to pay to turn the Nav on?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, even if you have an 8.4 NAV radio, you still have to pay to turn the NAV on? I've been looking at upgrading to a RA4 radio head, I'd have to pay to turn the Nav on?

There are 2 versions of the 8.4 radio, One comes from the factory with Nav and HD radio capability (RA4 version), the other does not have those 2 options (RA3 version) But you can pay to add the Nav on the RA3 (but still won't have HD radio). Nav is preloaded on the non-Nav RA3 radio but requires an activation code to make it work.

Now to confuse you even more there is a New 8.4 radio that came out in 2017? on some trucks and is the standard now. They are the UAQ (Nav capable) and the UAS (non Nav and not able to add it like the older units). Both of these have Car play and android auto which the older units above do not. These may require some additional parts to get working in your vehicle but it can be done. (there is a thread on how to install these)

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The RA3 also has less ram, and can not do 3d view. Don't forget new maps come out each year and cost another 150 to add on to the device :)

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are 2 versions of the 8.4 radio, One comes from the factory with Nav and HD radio capability (RA4 version), the other does not have those 2 options (RA3 version) But you can pay to add the Nav on the RA3 (but still won't have HD radio). Nav is preloaded on the non-Nav RA3 radio but requires an activation code to make it work.

Now to confuse you even more there is a New 8.4 radio that came out in 2017? on some trucks and is the standard now. They are the UAQ (Nav capable) and the UAS (non Nav and not able to add it like the older units). Both of these have Car play and android auto which the older units above do not. These may require some additional parts to get working in your vehicle but it can be done. (there is a thread on how to install these)

OK, That is what I originally thought, minus the ability to ADD it to the non NAV radios. So if I buy one that says NAV, like the RA4 or the RA3N, the nav is already active...Thank you