Raced a Maxima today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is funny. 6:00 AM this morning, I'm on the way to the gym. Manage to catch the light making a right turn and beat the traffic. This particular stretch has a series of light about 1/2 mile apart. Here comes this late model Nissan Maxima flying by, come up on the next red light and jambs on the brakes. Next green light he floors it (four lane thorofare fwiw), next light sure enough, slams the brakes. I'm positive he's going to do the same thing at the next green light.

I put the trans in tow mode and watch the light, Throttle up to about 800-900 rpm to take slack out of the driveline (I used to drag race - a lot) . Light turns, I'd bet my reaction time was well under 1.0. Let the truck run out the gears , let up about 60-65mph , Nissan was just starting to walk away at that point anyway.

Guess my point is, Nissan Maxima is spec'd to run 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (obviously controlled conditions), but this 5700#, 3.21 geared, 33" AT tired hunk of iron hung right with it in real world.

Have to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. As predicted, driver of that Maxima wouldn't look over at the next light.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] best part.

Driver would t look at you at the next light

Hes been HAD!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back when I first got mine I ran a quad cab srt10 to the limiter from 60 had him by a fender. CC 4x4 3.21s the new set up pretty sure a 60s beetle would walk me lol

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
as long as you're paying attention to what's in front of you, seen a few end up in the assend of the person at the next light.
i have to let those moments pass now, Houston PD is cracking down hard on anything or anyone that might possibly seem like something that might be anything like possibly thinking about a street race. i gotta protect my CDL. so nofun brigade driving for me:angels2:

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is funny. 6:00 AM this morning, I'm on the way to the gym. Manage to catch the light making a right turn and beat the traffic. This particular stretch has a series of light about 1/2 mile apart. Here comes this late model Nissan Maxima flying by, come up on the next red light and jambs on the brakes. Next green light he floors it (four lane thorofare fwiw), next light sure enough, slams the brakes. I'm positive he's going to do the same thing at the next green light.

I put the trans in tow mode and watch the light, Throttle up to about 800-900 rpm to take slack out of the driveline (I used to drag race - a lot) . Light turns, I'd bet my reaction time was well under 1.0. Let the truck run out the gears , let up about 60-65mph , Nissan was just starting to walk away at that point anyway.

Guess my point is, Nissan Maxima is spec'd to run 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (obviously controlled conditions), but this 5700#, 3.21 geared, 33" AT tired hunk of iron hung right with it in real world.

Have to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. As predicted, driver of that Maxima wouldn't look over at the next light.

time for a couple upgrades,,,,,,,,,i wouldnt waste my gas on something so slow

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
time for a couple upgrades,,,,,,,,,i wouldnt waste my gas on something so slow

60-100, dead weight and design (being a truck) is going to change the dynamics. Out of the hole, it's quick enough for my needs. This is the GRN69CHV from my signature. 540" BBC, dyno'd at 705HP, 685TQ, comparatively, yes the truck is slow. But for a 5700# bone stock vehicle, I think it's quick enough for what it is.

009.JPG

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
60-100, dead weight and design (being a truck) is going to change the dynamics. Out of the hole, it's quick enough for my needs. This is the GRN69CHV from my signature. 540" BBC, dyno'd at 705HP, 685TQ, comparatively, yes the truck is slow. But for a 5700# bone stock vehicle, I think it's quick enough for what it is.

View attachment 227965
Very nice car! Glad you had the sense to hold onto it. I sold my 71 Nova SS in 88 when I got married. That first wife is long gone but I still miss that car every day.

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice car! Glad you had the sense to hold onto it. I sold my 71 Nova SS in 88 when I got married. That first wife is long gone but I still miss that car every day.

Unfortunately, that car is gone. Sold it a few years ago. Like everything in life, get to a point where you lose interest and move on. It was enjoyable as a street cruiser up to about 500HP powerplant. Once I made the jump to the 540" motor, was a thrill to lay into it, but it was so impractical anymore to drive anywhere just to go for a cruise, sucked fuel at a rate of about 7-8 mpg, mind of it's own at WOT, lot of it had to do with lack of self control, LOL!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Unfortunately, that car is gone. Sold it a few years ago. Like everything in life, get to a point where you lose interest and move on. It was enjoyable as a street cruiser up to about 500HP powerplant. Once I made the jump to the 540" motor, was a thrill to lay into it, but it was so impractical anymore to drive anywhere just to go for a cruise, sucked fuel at a rate of about 7-8 mpg, mind of it's own at WOT, lot of it had to do with lack of self control, LOL!

Cool story man! Yep, like you I did a lot of street racing back in the day. I still get kick out of fooling around once in awhile but only under the right conditions. There is too much traffic on the roads these days.

Yes, to the point of your original post, these trucks are a lot quicker then they have any right to be, that's for sure. My 6.4 has 410hp/429tq, totally reliable, will run all day long in the heat of the summer in stop and go traffic with the ac on max and never overheat.

Think about what mods you'd have to do to a sbc or sbf to make the power my truck does stock? It wouldn't be much fun to drive and sure wouldn't be as reliable.

These are Good times we're living in automotivally!

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have said this many times, limited production run if need be, Dodge/Ram should've have an option for the 6.4L (preferably the 485HP version) in these. Made it available only on higher trim levels (ie Laramie or above). Limited production run if needed for CAFE. Package it with the stock 5.7L exhaust if that's what it takes to get it into production.

I still believe in the golden rule : there's no replacement for displacement

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Have said this many times, limited production run if need be, Dodge/Ram should've have an option for the 6.4L (preferably the 485HP version) in these. Made it available only on higher trim levels (ie Laramie or above). Limited production run if needed for CAFE. Package it with the stock 5.7L exhaust if that's what it takes to get it into production.

I still believe in the golden rule : there's no replacement for displacement

Yeah man, I totally agree. The blue oval boys (I am one too) will talk about how powerful their 3.5 V6 with a hair dryer on it is....and hey, they do run, no question.

However, to me, I'm old school. There simply is nothing like the sweet sound of a good old American V8 with the proper exhaust system on it in the upper rpm range. Heck any rpm range for that matter! To my ears it's better than any song on the radio. :driver:

To me a pickup truck should have a V8 in it period.

If it ain't got 8, it ain't great! Hahaha :) :patriot::waytogo:

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sport, R/T. Then the hellcat motor goes in the SRT and they have a line of performance trucks... as long as the Sport is 4wd with 4.10's and I can remove the bumpers, In lieu of a bumper I can toss 37's in with, I would buy the truck tomorrow

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
About the only 'racing' I do anymore is when some douche who's driving erratically, on their phone, below the speed limit in the passing lane or otherwise decides to get cute and stomp on it as I attempt to just get around and away from them. The mighty hemi hasn't failed me yet.

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jeep just came out with the Wrangler unlimited Rubicon 392. Lol. Now things got interesting.

Looked it up, packaged in a Jeep, 470HP/470TQ. I'd take that. Heck, even if they dropped it with the stock 5.7L exhaust and choked it down another 10-15HP it would still be worth the cost because you knew once the heart was in the vehicle, it was a weekend of simple bolt-ons to unleash full potential. Can't be that difficult to do, Jeep has been putting them in Cherokees for quite a while. Doesn't seem like RAM is listening to consumer feedback.