Radio not working, Dealer-0, RamForum-1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Long story short, my 8.4AN screen went blank after hooking up a jumper box. Could not find a fuse in the panel for the radio, just one marked AMP. Brought it to the dealer who, after diagnostics, said the radio was shot but agreed to replace it under warranty. Not believing there was actually no fuse for the display I started searching for a wiring diagram. This post lead me to what honestly is the holy grail of wiring diagrams for our truck.

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/holy_grail_wiring_diagrams-29694/

Sure enough, there is a separate 20amp fuse outside of the box which was blown. Funny thing is the service manager said he had his "electronics expert" on my truck to diagnose:) Thank God for the Interwebz (no offense to Al Gore).

RamRadioFuse.jpg

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its the same problem in motorcycles and big trucks..Alot of times the dealer doesnt know..

Think of it this way...How many venders are under the umbrella of the dodge product..Every tech doesnt know everything about all thats gone into the truck/car ect..

Thats where you go see a tech that is related to the issue..Seeing its a new truck you contact the manufacture and ask them who they use to fix the specific issue..

I have a 2016 freightliner and she was due for her 1st top end inspection and tune up,I didnt go to freightliner,i went to detroit because all day long they work on the same thing and know it inside and out..If i go to frieghtliner then they work on everything and can easily miss something only because they are not up to date or just on so many different jobs through the day..

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever something doesn't work, I test each and every fuse in the car. A lot of stuff has more than one fuse and in a different spot. It's a shame that a lot of people probably get ***** $$$ wise when it comes to this.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Whenever something doesn't work, I test each and every fuse in the car. A lot of stuff has more than one fuse and in a different spot. It's a shame that a lot of people probably get ***** $$$ wise when it comes to this.

Yep, but without an actual wiring diagram I'm not sure I'd ever have found it. Not like it jumps out at you, even when you're looking around. My only guess as to why it's not in the main fuse panel/PCM box along with everything else is to help isolate the radio from electrical noise (alternator whine). But just a guess.

RamRadioFuseImg3.jpg