Radio randomly changing inputs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Has anyone else had their radio jumping by itself between inputs? Mine is in the 2014 3500, three times now since I've owned it, the radio has started jumping between Satelite radio and AUX, it jumps back and forth 6 or eight times before stoping on one input or the other. :werd07: Any help would be great.

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do you have your Phone connected at all, or any other "AUX" media connected?

My phone's Bluetooth has been a bit sporadic with the latest firmware build I installed, and it repeatedly connects to my truck which causes the audio to jump from SXM to "Media".

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I guess, If I'm in the truck my phone would be conected to bluetooth at all times. Should I not have it conected?

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
My 11 would randomly stop receiving XM and go to FM. If you selected XM it would not receive an XM signal and the channel was stuck on the last XM channel I was listening to. Mostly happened in very cold weather. Once the temps got back above freezing the XM would start to work again.

After 2 years of putting up with this I finally took it back to the dealer where the entire radio was replaced for free, under warranty. Problem free since replacement

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '13 sometime jumps out of AUX and seems to default to Satellite radio. At first I thought it was when I hit a bump in the road which maybe temporarily disconnected the AUX but once it happened when I was parked ---so no idea. I've never had it switch back and forth like that. That's nuts.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hopefully next time I drive it I'll be able to catch it on video so the dealer won't think I'm nuts when I tell them, if I do I'll post the video here for all to see. It is nuts

LeatherNuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did, I read how to reset the head unit and it solved the issue. I used to lose all my presets as well, haven't had an issue since the reset.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new one. Today, my USB input dropped and switched to XMSat but without any of my pre-sets (they're suddenly gone). Then when I restart the truck a few minutes later, I hear satellite radio music AND a song on my USB playing simultaneously !!!!! Both songs playing over top of each other at the same time. That's the wild world of Uconnect.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am now having the same issue with it jumping between radio and AUX input. I read on another forum that there is a TSB out on this issue. Says they have to replace the console lid as the media hub is defective and no way to replace it inside the lid. Will let you know when I drop off my truck to get some repair work done on the paint from the factory.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am now having the same issue with it jumping between radio and AUX input. I read on another forum that there is a TSB out on this issue. Says they have to replace the console lid as the media hub is defective and no way to replace it inside the lid. Will let you know when I drop off my truck to get some repair work done on the paint from the factory.

Please do. Mine goes back in to be looked at again in April, so if you have an answer prior to that please please please let me know.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Says they have to replace the console lid as the media hub is defective and no way to replace it inside the lid.

I think this is what the dealer did to mine last week. So far, it hasn't randomly switched sources. It also seems to find the USB drive faster upon initial start up. They are also replacing the voice command module tomorrow and then I will get the paperwork showing what all was done. Be interesting to know how many of these Uconnect systems were faulty and replaced by Chrysler.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm using an AUX cable to temporary stop it from switching back and forth from radio to AUX. Will be taking it to the dealer in a few weeks.

scobbyanddale

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 express cc 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is a recall for this where they update the software in the radio...

salibas007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 1500 sport is doing the same thing. Whether I'm listening to FM or XM it randomly switches to the AUX input a few times in a row.

Really annoying. But now that I read that I'm not the only one with this issue, I'll call the dealer tomorrow and schedule a visit to fix this. I thought this was some freak issue I'm only having and all I could imagine was the dealer looking at me like I'm nuts.

joseph54k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had this problem and found that after it flips to Aux input on its own the display did not say CONNECT DEVICE, it will if you select the Aux input on the screen and no device is connected.

This lead me to believe that the radio thought a cable was being plugged into the Aux input jack in the console, so a couple times after it flipped I tapped the top of the console and it immediately went back to radio.

I then plugged and unplugged a cable into the Aux input jack to confirm that it is a physical switch that tells the radio to flip between Aux & radio.

My conclusion at that point was that the contact tolerances are too close on the Aux input and it makes and loses contact occasionally telling the radio to switch inputs.

I plugged a dummy cable into the Aux input jack permanently and it stopped. I haven't confirmed yet but simply plugging and removing the Aux cable may correct the jacks tolerance issue.

PJ1521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have had issues with my uConnect as well. I have only had my truck for 4 months, the original radio just stopped receiving XM out of know where. They ended up replacing the unit itself. 2 weeks after the unit was replaced I started having the issue with the inputs changing on their own. It's a bit annoying that they can't fix little issues like this!

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mine goes back in for round two this weekend, not sure what their going to do but hopefully they can fix it. I will let everyone know what they do and how it works.

Any updates from anyone about what was done to your truck that fixed this yet?

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any updates from anyone about what was done to your truck that fixed this yet?

Dealer replaced the USB module in the center console for me and it stopped randomly switching from USB to Sat.radio/AM.FM and some other oddities. Been a month now and no problems with that issue since. If the random changing issue doesn't involve the USB port though, then this won't apply.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Dealer replaced the USB module in the center console for me and it stopped randomly switching from USB to Sat.radio/AM.FM and some other oddities. Been a month now and no problems with that issue since. If the random changing issue doesn't involve the USB port though, then this won't apply.

Thanks, I will mention this to the dealer when I drop it off. Not sure they'll listen to me but hey you never know, I thank my lucky stars I have what seems to be a good dealer, compared to some of the horror stories I've read on this forum about other dealerships.