radio sounds like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have only owned Ram or GMC if you ever see me driving any ford unless mustang boss 302 know that the real me has been abducted by aliens

Scott J Mirabella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my 0.02. The 8.4 inch, 6 speaker base stereo leaves a lot to be desired. I came from a RAV 4 ( i know it's embarrasing) that had a great sounding factory stereo. After reading the thread on here and several youtube videos, I decided to swap out my 6 speakers. As many have said, Chrutchfeilds says 6x9 won't fit in the doors, they do. I had a a set of Sony explode 6x9 from my son's S10 that he grenaded. I put them in the rear doors. Peice of cake. He also had a pair of Nackamichi 6.5 round. Bought 6x9 to 6.5 adapters on Ebay for $11, and they slid right in. Then I bought the Infinity reference 3.5 that were recomended here and on youtube for the dash. It was actually pretty easy. I bought 3 sets of connector adapters from Crutchfeild so i wouldn't be butchering wires. The sound is amazing and the investment minimal. And anyone ca do it.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Upgrading the base 6 speaker system is relatively inexpensive. Keep the radio.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well the selling dealer didn’t want anything to do with diagnosing the radio their claim was they couldn’t diagnose anything on the radio over 20 on the volume so I ended up taking it to another dealer had a manager listen to it and said it’s absolutely not right at this point they are ordering a new radio but nobody including the technician is holding there breath that they are going to fix it.From what they were talking about the thinking is it has something to do with those stupid microphones that are up inside the headliner and if that’s the case that means I bought a $56,000 pick up truck that has the sound system of a 77 pinto I’m really hoping that the new radio fixes it

If you have the noise cancelling mics in the ceiling, you can unplug them where they connect under the driver seat. mine created a droning sound at a certain speed and all is good after disconnecting them. I am also a picky listener and to me, the Alpine system sounds pretty good. folks that ride with me often comment on it.

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK I don’t have the Alpine system where under the seats where are you able to do that like I said I am disgusted with the sound!!!

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
scoot the driver seat all the way forward and you can get to the box where they plug in. somewhere on this site there are a cpl. pics of which wires to unplug.. you can search ANC and there are quite a few posts about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
tried finding pics on what to unplug under seat but no luck and is mine different cause it’s a 2500?

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
unpluged both plugs under driver seat no change sound still cuts in and out

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
dealer put new radio in still not as loud as i would like but at least it’s not dropping sound anymore!!!!!!!

Saz01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I just recently purchased a 2020 ram 2500 HD midnight edition Big Horn with the 8.4 radio by the way it’s not the Alpine or the Harman Cardin I traded in my 2011 and I have to say my basic 2011 ram had a better sounding stereo than the one that is in my 2020 as I’m listening to music and I like to listen to my music loud the volume goes in and out not completely but it’s almost like somebody is turning the knob back-and-forth I’ve taken it to the dealer they claim there’s nothing wrong there is a TSB about sound issues for the noise canceling but they claim it’s only for the 1500s and has nothing to do with the 2500s very frustrating that an almost $60,000 vehicle has a horrible sounding radio and even when it’s turned all the way up it’s not very loud whatsoever is there anybody out there experienced this issue or can tell me what to do to fix it again happy with the truck overall but the stereo system has me very upset
I have a very similar problem with my 2019 Laramie, 8.4" non-NAV with Alpine system. About half the time the radio volume sounds like someone is turning the volume knob back-and-forth, but the issue is only when listening to FM. If I switch over to AM or satellite the volume is perfect and steady, when switched back to FM the volume again goes right back to fluctuating up and down. But again it only happens maybe half the time. I've tried adjusting different speed, fade, etc. radio settings with no luck.

jeff208863

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 liter Eco Diesel
I have just experienced a radio issue too. 2020 Laramie with HK 12 in flat screen. I bought new and loved the sound for 85k miles. Suddenly today i noticed the volume was much louder and audio was crap on fm. Sirius and Bluetooth. I use andriod Samsung and it is not a phone issue. Problem persistent even after Bluetooth was off. Something is wrong in the radio. Like another post i thought all the speakers or amp had blown. But volume at 8 was like it used to be at 20.