radio volume increases at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Cates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
morning, first time post here.
i have a 2019 WARLOCK with a 5.7 Hemi. When i have the key on accessory, listening to the radio, the volume will spike every now and again. this started last summer, took it to dodge and they said it didnt happen to them but they updated the radio anyways. seemed to go away(or at least i never noticed it although i wasnt driving as much due to covid)
recently it happened again, only this time the display on the instrument cluster where the digital speedometer is went from reading 0 to - - - while the volume spiked. again with the key in accessory.

has anyone ever had this happen before?? i called dodge and all they did was check to see if there was an update for the radio again....

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My uconnect updated last night then today i was pulling into a drive through and it went up quite a bit louder randomly. not sure if it was related to that update or what but it was the first time it happened in 2 years i have owned it. i do have mine set to increase with speed but i was actually slowing down and only going about 3 MPH when this happened today

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Check in your menu to see if the radio has the volume set to adjust with the speed and stuff. Maybe shut it off and see if that helps.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2019 WARLOCK with a 5.3 Hemi. When i have the key on accessory, listening to the radio, the volume will spike every now and again. this started last summer, took it to dodge and they said it didnt happen to them but they updated the radio anyways. seemed to go away(or at least i never noticed it although i wasnt driving as much due to covid)
recently it happened again, only this time the display on the instrument cluster where the digital speedometer is went from reading 0 to - - - while the volume spiked. again with the key in accessory.

has anyone ever had this happen before?? i called dodge and all they did was check to see if there was an update for the radio again....
You have a 5.7 liter,345 cubic inch hemi

OP
OP
M

Mike Cates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Check in your menu to see if the radio has the volume set to adjust with the speed and stuff. Maybe shut it off and see if that helps.
I will try it today.....not sure why it would make a difference as i wasnt driving, but i will try anything lol. thanks

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my first radio did it all the time ........now on my second radio and it does it too but not very often.....or should i just say that i don't notice mutch because I almost never have it on acc.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a 2019 WARLOCK with a 5.7 Hemi. When i have the key on accessory, listening to the radio, the volume will spike every now and again. this started last summer, took it to dodge and they said it didnt happen to them but they updated the radio anyways. seemed to go away(or at least i never noticed it although i wasnt driving as much due to covid)

What radio do you have, Mike? And when you say your volume spiked, did it go max volume or just somewhere in-between? My 8.4C UAS has become self-aware twice in the last couple of months going max volume, and the only volume change I could make was muting it. No knob turning or button pressing to lower the volume did anything except the mute button. Then after sitting all night, it was fine the next morning.

OP
OP
M

Mike Cates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
What radio do you have, Mike? And when you say your volume spiked, did it go max volume or just somewhere in-between? My 8.4C UAS has become self-aware twice in the last couple of months going max volume, and the only volume change I could make was muting it. No knob turning or button pressing to lower the volume did anything except the mute button. Then after sitting all night, it was fine the next morning.
I have the same 8.4C radio. it didnt go to max but it was alot louder. the volume spike never lasted long enough to try any volume changes as it would only last for a sec or 2.

OP
OP
M

Mike Cates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
turned off the speed adjust and it didnt do it all weekend. Guess i will be keeping that off. thanks

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
My radio does the very same thing. I just opened another case with UConnect today as they closed the case Ram Cares started for me last fall. It is like clockwork every 5 minutes the radio will increase in volume AND on my truck (the dash is set to show MPH) the 0 for MPH goes away and 3 dots appear for the 4 or 5 seconds that the radio blast. Only does this in ACC and every 5 minutes.
Also if you select the lower setting of the AVC it changes the amount the volume increases. Glad I have a warranty because I am afraid it may blow a speaker.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I just spoke with UConnect (again) and I have to return the truck to the dealership and have a "star case opened", where service techs with work with UConnect engineers to try and find the problem. I have an appointment set for the week of June 7Th and it is my understanding that they will have my truck for possibly a few days.
I will post any finding that they suggest.
Unfortunately bad timing as I am in the middle of moving and need the truck.

Work vehicle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My 2018 Ram Big Horn (married man's edition - V6 no balls) does the volume modulation all the time and now has started to switch to right side speakers when it wants. It also cranks the volume when I am just sitting in it listening to the radio. Does this about every 5 minutes.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear about the various concerns you're experiencing with your Uconnect system and the varying sound levels. If you'd like additional support while working with your dealer to get this addressed, or you have concerns pertaining to these symptoms, please send our team a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
The volume spike with mine happened when I was driving, and my volume button did turn it down, but not until I turned it far enough to mute the music, and when I turned it up to check it the first click clockwise and it was wide open again. I guess from what I am reading it will be a trip to the dealer .

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have chose to pass on giving my truck to the dealership for a couple of days so they could open a "star" case. I live over 20 miles from the dealership, no loner is to be given and I just don't see the point since its not a critical issue. Since I added some LED's and increased tire size I don't need them to flash the BMC looking for a bug that will cause me a few hours to reset everything I have done.
If someone does get a fix I hope you post what the fix consist of for us with this issue.

Last edited: