Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njsportsman62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My radio stopped recognizing my iPhone. The car play or apple play or whatever it's called is not coming up. It worked in the past and works in my wife's car (Jeep Cherokee). The dealer is telling me I need a software upgrade and wants $169. I would think it should still recognize my phone but obviously not have the new upgrade features. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For your 2021? I was told radio updates now come free via satellite download, I have read some say you can got to Uconnect and download to USB stick and then install update your self as for dealer not sure why they did not tell you this....

OP
OP
N

njsportsman62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oh they did. They gave me a 169 options but I guess when I didn't bite they just did it for free for the reasons you stated. Thanks

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It worked in the past and works in my wife's car (Jeep Cherokee).

Just to verify, it worked in her cherokee with the same cord that you use in your truck?

Would be nice if it was just the cord going bad, which I have heard of happening and effecting carplay.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Replacing the cable and removing and re-adding the connections/pairing solve a lot of issues.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all they did the upgrade and did not charge me.
Well heck, they should have done immediately. If nothing, U should still be under warranty. Not a dealership on the "shore", is it, LOL.

AND U can go to the site in an above post and do your upgrade, just MAKE sure U follow directions to the LETTER.

TheRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What system do you have. 8.4 non nav, nav, or 12 in

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My radio stopped recognizing my iPhone. The car play or apple play or whatever it's called is not coming up. It worked in the past and works in my wife's car (Jeep Cherokee). The dealer is telling me I need a software upgrade and wants $169. I would think it should still recognize my phone but obviously not have the new upgrade features. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Just had this same problem. Ended up having o have my iPhone SE reprogrammed at an Apple place. Also found out you can not get good CarPlay if you have the phone on battery saver. Before it was no problem! After the new program it will not work in saver mode. But works great now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not have a problem with Carplay on my I Phone 11 in my RAM, even if on battery saver, but all trucks/phones just not the same.
ADDED: This is just my experience. But I also do have an 11, not one of the new 13's or SE's.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 14 has never been updated, I just checked that link and it shows that I have no updates.
The Nav system does not show new streets, the hands free bit works fine, don't go anywhere anyway.
I have never plugged the new to me I phone 8+ in to play anything, as I just up graded (?) from my nice flip phone.
I just had a charge cable go, it showed charge, but would not charge the battery, new cord worked fine , as well as the cord in the truck.
If some one is having trouble, a new cord may be the first thing to check
BTW ,I have the big screen with touch screen, forget the model #, 8.4 Nav I think.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't own a Smart Phone. BUT

because your radio is a 2014, i don't know if the radio & phone maps work together

I believe that you can download at least 1 free live map to your phone, i did mention FREE

The radios map update has a FEE of something like $149+
You would never want to update the radios maps before a 3 year period has passed
every once in a while they have special prices

I think a Garmin GPS with FREE Lifetime Maps & Traffic may be your best deal