Ram 1500 Rebel / Front axle & carrier issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sebix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys,

Need some tech advice.
Yesterday my mechanic uninstalled my front axle/differential to check why the shaft has a play.
After a fast diagnose the bearing seems to be fine, but the shaft inside the differential has some play.

Is this normal or should it be stiff inside?

here is a video:
Thanks for your support.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't say for sure, but it looks normal to me. It's a splined connection into the differential so there will be some movement.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That doesn’t look alarming. There will be play there. As long as the splines don’t have any damage.

What was the original issue?

OP
OP
S

Sebix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The issue was that it had some play on the shaft and the mechanic told me it shouldn’t. + it was leaking a bit, so we changed the sealant.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The issue was that it had some play on the shaft and the mechanic told me it shouldn’t. + it was leaking a bit, so we changed the sealant.
Was the play checked with CV axles and everything installed? If you wiggle the inner cv joint on the shaft there will be a little bit of play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45