Ram 1500 stuck in 4th and won't move problem and fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I recently had a problem with my 2011 Ram 1500 4.7. It got stuck in 4th threw a CEL and barely moved when trying to accelerate. This happened upon start up in the morning about to go somewhere. (Keep in mind I had my TIPM, PCM, and shift solenoid replaced last year so I was like this better not be the problem) I said hell with it and took my Honda instead. (Keep in mind the day before it drove fine) Next day I tried to see if it would move, and it did but felt like the trans was slipping and not fully engaged, and some points when I revved the motor the truck did not move at all. This was all done within 10 feet of my front yard because that's how bad the transmission wasnt putting power to the wheels. Truck was pretty much crippled. I towed it to my local mechanic and this is what was found. When you drop the transmission oil pan the sump filter that sucks up fluid into the transmission, blew out on one side. How this happened he or I didnt know because there shouldn't be any pressure to create a blow out cause it creates vacuum pressure. I physically held the blown out filter and it was pretty damn solid, I squeezed the part that blew out and even tried pulling it apart and it was solid. (The filter was brand new of last year) Anyone see or experienced this? What would cause this? I've attached 2 pics of the filter.
20190524_160431.jpg 20190524_160356.jpg

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s actually somewhat common. I’ve run into it a number of times, it’s either the filter split like you had or it’s actually popped out of the feed hole.

OP
OP

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It’s actually somewhat common. I’ve run into it a number of times, it’s either the filter split like you had or it’s actually popped out of the feed hole.

What causes it though? It's not like sucking causes a back pressure strong enough to blow an intake filter.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Was this an OEM filter?

OP
OP

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
No it wasnt. It was a Fram OEM replacement if I remember correct. I bought from Rock auto.

Last edited:
OP
OP

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Well a week later, truck has the problem once again. Back to the shop. This truck is dead to me. Once fixed, the for sale sign goes on the window. Lol.

Thinking of a Ford Raptor down the line.