RAM almost here - things to watch out for during the Business Managers meeting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People have had varying results trying to deal with the paint problem. Some dealerships will fix the problem, but I think these dealerships have an "inhouse" body and paint shop. The problem seems to be when the dealership has to "farm" the work out. In most cases after delivery, the factory wants pictures and the whole process gets really bogged down. I think I'd check the truck out really really well for any defect in the paint and then based on that you need to decide whether it is bad enough to refuse the truck or too go ahead and go through the process of getting it repaired to your satisfaction, knowing your brand new $50k+ truck has to be either spot painted or completely repainted. IMHO it's just kinda ****** you can't get a decent paint job on that expensive of a truck. Maybe you're going to be one of lucky one's and not have any paint problem---I sincerely hope that is the case. Best of luck with your new truck and congrats on your purchase!!!!! I hope that it treats you well for years and years.
Jay

PS---Some discussion of paint problems in this thread
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/traded_my_15_outdoorsman_17_big_horn-110910/index2.html

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a few paint defects after delivery of my '17. They aren't horrible, but the truck is white so they are seemingly easier to find. We aren't talking things that you can really see, though...once more than a foot or so away you'd never be able to notice. And even a foot away you'd really have to look for them.

Its really the only thing that bothers me about the truck, but Im not too worried (I didnt pay 50K either :) ). As long as they dont rust Im ok with it. Worst case I could always Dr ColorChip them or something....luckily white is fairly easy to match or at least make them look not obvious.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Guys!

Some really helpful stuff here - has me filled with a lot more confidence than I had this morning. So my takeaways are:

- Don't get muscled into paying for something they've "already done" which I didn't agree to (VIN etching, etc.)
- I should still be OK if I buy no warranties the day-of.
- Getting Krown rustproofing aftermarket does not void my warranty.
- Don't pay until they've committed to fixing what I need.
- Show up with a notebook, do full inspection.
- Check thoroughly, look for:
- Paint defects
- Bad seals on doors, windows, sunroof.
- Drive it
- Listen for weirdness, feel for chugginess, etc.

Anything else to look for in my inspection? I had them do the spray-in bedliner - I've heard aftermarket was better, but I had it rolled into the price. Anything I should look for in the bedliner? Someone mentioned box alignment - is that when one corner of the box is lower than the other? If so, how do they fix that?

Thanks again, guys. I'm reaaaally hoping this works out. Nothing worse than walking away from a big purchase with a bad-taste in the mouth. Hoping I drive away giddy in my dream truck ( minus mods ) and can soon join the community as a RAM man.

- Yak

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First, check out the truck, in the daytime. As stated, check the paint closely. Make sure everything is as it should be. Check that everything that you ordered is on the truck. Get a copy of the build sheet. Read carefully. Do this before you sit down with the business manger. Take your time, don't let anyone rush you. If anything is amiss, make sure it is repaired to your satisfaction before you sign any paperwork.

As for the contract, the first things I look at, is agreed upon price, agreed upon payment, interest rate and length of loan. I bring a calculator. Check that the tax was calculated correctly. If it doesn't total up, either have it corrected or walk. I have never paid more than the agreed on price, no admin cost, delivery cost ECT. These are the cost of doing business. You loose your edge if you aren't ready to get up and leave.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do a really thorough walk around the truck. While some things are covered such as paint defects though they have to photograph it and send a claim to chrysler and wait for approval. Other things such as bad alignment of the window trim, box out of alignment may fall under "within factory specifications" before you sign the paperwork though it's the dealer will fix it to complete the sale.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check Every panel - Even the fckn roof!!
Check the storage bins, where you may have them, make sure the bed looks straight with the cab, make sure it drives good. seriously spend 20 mins just looking at the fit and finish on all body panels “ Even the roof”. Maybe take a peak underneath. Check the engine bay, and the interior of the cab. All in all spend about 45minutes - 1 hour just inspecting it. Then drive it... then start the paperwork. So plan to **** away 2-3 hours. But hey, ur spending a Fck load of money, make sure ur good with it! Keep us posted.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, Guys!

Some really helpful stuff here - has me filled with a lot more confidence than I had this morning. So my takeaways are:

- Don't get muscled into paying for something they've "already done" which I didn't agree to (VIN etching, etc.)
- I should still be OK if I buy no warranties the day-of.
- Getting Krown rustproofing aftermarket does not void my warranty.
- Don't pay until they've committed to fixing what I need.
- Show up with a notebook, do full inspection.
- Check thoroughly, look for:
- Paint defects
- Bad seals on doors, windows, sunroof.
- Drive it
- Listen for weirdness, feel for chugginess, etc.

Anything else to look for in my inspection? I had them do the spray-in bedliner - I've heard aftermarket was better, but I had it rolled into the price. Anything I should look for in the bedliner? Someone mentioned box alignment - is that when one corner of the box is lower than the other? If so, how do they fix that?

Thanks again, guys. I'm reaaaally hoping this works out. Nothing worse than walking away from a big purchase with a bad-taste in the mouth. Hoping I drive away giddy in my dream truck ( minus mods ) and can soon join the community as a RAM man.

- Yak

most of what you need to know has been stated. keep to your list and be ready to "walk away" until you get exactly what you want from the truck and the dealer.

then BEFORE YOU SIGN check every single line of the delivery document. on one of my previous purchases, that VIN etching thing was added to my total even though they agreed to take it off. I made them do the entire paper over again. after all, if it gets stolen I definitely don't want it back.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, guys! The truck is supposed to arrive by Halloween so I'll likely be looking at it by Wed - Thurs. Will keep you posted!

Thanks again,
Yak

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
If they have to "break paint" for any defects I would walk away. I can attest to Krown even though I have to drive 1.5 hours to the nearest Krown dealer. Good stuff but make sure you leave your vehicle outside until the drips stop.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Krown dealer in my hometown, about 25 mins away so that is convenient. I'll call them today for a quote.

Sorry for the junior question - what would a pant defect look like? A scratch? Or an obvious mismatch or thinning of some paint?

Are these usually obvious to spot? Does anyone have any pics?

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Krown dealer in my hometown, about 25 mins away so that is convenient. I'll call them today for a quote.

Sorry for the junior question - what would a pant defect look like? A scratch? Or an obvious mismatch or thinning of some paint?

Are these usually obvious to spot? Does anyone have any pics?

I got rid of the pics but I'll try to describe what I had on mine
-a scratch
-a bubble (hard small bubble felt like something was under it) more showed up after the initial.
-a faded circle area where the paint finally flaked off in the door sill

If you search the exterior thread section I know some have posted tons of photos with their paint problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect. I'll head over there and do a search. Many thanks!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my paint issues are:

A couple blobs under the base/clear coat in the lower front of the passenger side rocker panel. The base coat/clear coat was on top of something and formed a "peak" that was easily scraped off. It revealed a black something or other underneath...not sure if it was when the robot changed colors, etc. I plan on carefully polishing/sanding down the high spot the best I can and using touch up paint over it

While I was detailing the truck I found probably 5 or 6 "nubs" under the paint. Most of them are in non-obvious spots, 1 or 2 were "in the field" of a door. They aren't nearly as big of a peak as the rocker panel one I found, so Im debating just leaving them alone.

Honestly, even if I had found them before delivery, Im not sure I would have had the dealer attempt to fix them (they have their own body shop). Maybe I could have talked them down a little on pricing, but I wouldn't really want them attempting to sand, paint, etc.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To new readers checking out this thread it probably sounds like there are all kinds of problems with these Ram trucks. If you asked the same question on any truck site you'd get the same responses about any other brand.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
for sure drive the truck and see if it stops smooth and doesn't have a bump feel when you stop.only major unfixed problem i know of on the ram.my 2015 had it and had it until i traded it.test drove my 2016 checking for it and 15000 miles later its still fine.of the current trucks offered the ram is by far the best.the new f150s are so cheap feeling and made compared to the 09-14s f150s.and the gm's ride and rattle like crazy test drove one and salesman said i'll get the paperwork ready and i said i'm not buying this truck thanks for your time and left the look on his face was like he was in shock.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again for the advice here, guys.

I'm heading in to do my inspection in a half-hour. Bringing my dad with me who's an a lifelong Chrysler/Dodge man. We'll give it a close inspection and hopefully all goes well. I'll post anything in real-time during the inspection if I find/hear/feel anything suspect. Here goes!

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been waiting for over 30 mins for them to bring it out front...they can't find it.

Off to a good start...

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck! Waiting to read about the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it's in the paint shop------just kidding---good luck. I hope things go well.
Jay