Ram trucks arent what they used to be.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
What’s wrong with companies today! I’m mean really, they know it’s a problem and say “no it’s not pulling” or “we can’t fix it” wtf!!

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I agree. I told the dealer if it does need an adjustable ball joint then I shouldn't have to pay for it. Or pay for tires that wear out to soon. Appt at new dealer tomorrow.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today you sometimes have to embarrass people in order to get things done. That phone of yours have a video cam???? Imagine the service writer on YouTube, ha. Point is, accountability.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I agree. I told the dealer if it does need an adjustable ball joint then I shouldn't have to pay for it. Or pay for tires that wear out to soon. Appt at new dealer tomorrow.

Who did you finally go with?

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is my fourth ram.First was a 1994,1997,2005,2017. Purchased a 2017 ram.Pulls to the right and dealer says ram knows about the problem and does not have a fix. Also it surges even after warm. Dealer also says ram knows and has no fix. Falls on its face at lights and stop signs 3 to 4 times a day.Dealer says when u have the oil changed have them flash it each time. maybe it will help. Cant believe this. Worst truck I ever had. Anybody had these problems? Les schwab says alignment is good.Needs an adjustable balljoint if I want to drive straight.
My 2016 Ram 2500 is 3 times more the truck verses my 2004 Ram 2500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Randolm_walk I am taking it to wilsonville tomorrow. We will see what they say.

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Dropped my truck off at a new dealer thursday. Same crap at first. Argued with me saying Ram puts a pull in there trucks on purpose incase you fall asleep at the wheel. I told them im not falling for that. He drove my truck and said yes you have an excessive pull. Saying if its camber it cant be fixed. Or could be the rear end is out of alignment and also cant be fixed.I told him yes a adjustable ball joint can be put on the front. So I left the truck over night and went back at 3:00 the next day.They flashed it for the surging wich has helped some so far but not all of it. Still hadn't been put on the alignment rack and they wanted it till monday. But I would have to pay for the rental car because the expensive warranty I have only covers 1 day. As it is I have to pay $90.00 for an alignment even if it is all good. Saying most of the work is in setting it up on the rack.Finally after an hour of them trying to figure out what to do cause im not paying for a rental and they didnt get in on the rack with the 24 hours they had I told them to give it to me im tired of there crap and if ram isnt going to back up there products ill take it to a different place.And that im going to get on every forum I can about this and that I have already filed with the FCA and we will see what they and ram cares can do. Then he changed his toon a little. Saying give us a chance to look at it and see what we can do. So made an appt.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Truck pulling to the left is now a safety feature :rotflmao: dang who knew. Why ain’t it listed on the build sheet as a safety feature then lol

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
When my truck was 100% stock it would hold the road completely straight even if I let go of the wheel and it still does that now with a couple of mods. Especially if you modify (but even stock) it is important to find a guy/dealer/offroad shop who knows what they are doing on these 2014+ HDs.

Cliff R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi which I no longer own. Not coming on here to "bash" anything or anyone, I just wasn't happy with it and I am NOT a troll, or going to boost another product line, just telling folks reading this like it is with the truck that I owned.

Anyhow, the truck had a couple of fundamental problems that I decided not to live with.

First it had rear end gear "whine". Completely silent on or off the throttle but at very light load at certain speeds it would howl load enough to make you want to grind your teeth. So I found myself pushing on the throttle just a tad to shut it up. It was the loudest around 60-67mph in case anyone is experiencing something similar, pretty quiet at any other vehicle speed.

It had a "surging" issue at moderate throttle, sort of like the ECU was "hunting" for the right fuel/spark/cam timing but not really finding it.

If you slowed down for a yield sign or "rolled" thru a stop sight/light around 5-10mph it would "tie-up" in the transmission, not really knowing exactly which gear to be in or when to shift to low gear to pull the truck back up to speed again. So you'd just push the throttle down, and down, and down some more then finally it would shift all the way to low gear and lunge forward like you were launching it at the drag strip! Pretty annoying so I found myself coming to a complete stop more times than not so it would avoid that scenario.

I took it to the dealer twice for the gear whine, no one involved with looking at it, driving it or trying to fix it heard anything....FWIW.

The final straw that breaks the camels back here was fuel economy. The last half dozen tanks I ran thru it best was 11.7, lowest was 11.3. I know they don't guarantee any mileage for the HD trucks, but come on now, it's 2108 not 1979. This is not my first Dodge, nor is it my first Hemi powered one, and all the previous Dodge trucks I owned had dead quiet differentials at any load/speed and got better fuel economy.........Cliff

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my fourth ram.First was a 1994,1997,2005,2017. Purchased a 2017 ram.Pulls to the right and dealer says ram knows about the problem and does not have a fix. Also it surges even after warm. Dealer also says ram knows and has no fix. Falls on its face at lights and stop signs 3 to 4 times a day.Dealer says when u have the oil changed have them flash it each time. maybe it will help. Cant believe this. Worst truck I ever had. Anybody had these problems? Les schwab says alignment is good.Needs an adjustable balljoint if I want to drive straight.

You do know that they will pull to the right a little, right? I’m pretty sure that’s the norm (maybe the law) in case you fell asleep at the wheel you are less likely to hit oncoming traffic. Every alignment I’ve had has been this way. I’m on my third dodge/Ram. 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 2wd (11 years), 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 4wd, and now my 2017 Ram Power Wagon. I’ve had a great experience. My 02 started burning some oil, but that was about it.

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I think whats happening on mine is it pulls right but I thing the rear end is off also making it pull more than it should.I will be measuring o see and installing a adjustable ball joint if I have to.But I will let them look at it first. If pulling is a safety thing now then they should save themselves some grief and tell people when they buy one.This is my 4th diesel and I have had a hemi also.Never had pulling issues.

LethalWeapon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 v8
If you really want to get the ball rolling call Chrysler Corporate, file a complaint, and get hooked up with a rep from there and work with them in addition to the service department at the dealership of your choice. Make sure you keep pushing until your issues are addressed. They will make it right, but you will probably have to put in some effort.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The OP stated that the truck pulled right from when it was new. The purpose of adjustable ball joints is to allow for 2 degrees additional adjustment range when a vehicle has been raised or lowered, because doing that defeats the ranges of the cams on the control arms. One thing I have noticed over the years is that when a customer insists on having the vehicle aligned, that's what they get. If they insist on getting the vehicle to go down the road straight, they get something different. Every road is different, so you can't test the vehicle on a road other than what the shop tested it on, but test it you should. If they didn't do a road test when you asked to have the pull corrected, they did not perform the work that was requested. The most amazing part of this whole thread is that a problem was allowed to be neglected right from the start. Every mile since then tends to be used as evidence against the claim, so you have quite a battle at 20k+. All of the Rams I have owned handled just fine, but I drive with some pressure on the steering gear and hold or steer as required.

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I just measured the rearend to see if it was offset. Hard to tell by myself. Ill get help later today. But looks like up to 1/2" off.with out leaf springs.How do you fix that?

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I didnt wait till 20k.I have been battling the dealer since I bought it.I dont have unlimited time to let it sit at the dealer or go back and forth.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I could, I suppose, quote my own post to demonstrate both mentions I made about the problem being right from the start. Something seems to be a problem when you try to communicate with the dealer. It might be helpful if you could persuade someone in the dealership to go with you so you could demonstrate what it is that you want fixed.

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
We went for a ride and he said its pulling.2 dealers now.