Ram vs Silverado reliabillity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I must be doing something wrong. My Rumble Bee 4X4 gets 15-19 mpg city driving and like 13-14 highway because I'm usually doing 85mph. It got 13.5 hauling a 16 foot trailer with a heavy ass 4 wheeler on it yesterday.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last GM I had was a 2001 Silverado. Bought it new, fully loaded off the lot spring of '02 with just 28 miles on the odometer. Drove it home, to school, to work and home again 3 times - the last trip home I made with it, it caught fire with just over 600 miles on it... Turned out to be a engineering flaw in the dash light wiring - 22ga wire with a 20 amp fuse where a 15ga wire and 7.5 amp fuse SHOULD have been used. Paid cash for the truck, all $38K and after MONTHS of back and forth, after lawyer fees, I got a whopping $9900 back...

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Is it just the looks or do you have a bad experience with them?

i live in canada so of course, lots of snow and road salt..most of the 3rd gens rams i have seen have fender/tailgate rust.

lots of silverados and sierras built around the same years, no rust.

also the transmission in the ram isn't as sturdy as the gm trucks..the major issue gm had around 07-08 was the cylinder shutdown mode would burn oil but there was a recall and they fixed it.

also, they look better lol

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i live in canada so of course, lots of snow and road salt..most of the 3rd gens rams i have seen have fender/tailgate rust.

lots of silverados and sierras built around the same years, no rust.

also the transmission in the ram isn't as sturdy as the gm trucks..the major issue gm had around 07-08 was the cylinder shutdown mode would burn oil but there was a recall and they fixed it.

also, they look better lol

Yes 3rd gens have rear fender rust issues if they were not properly rustproofed and maintained.
But with my experience in the salt capital of quebec the equivalent years of gms are all just as rusty if they were maintained in the same fashion.

Also thats not true gm transmissions of this era are just as likely to need a rebuild as a ram unless you are talking allison but even then they do go boom when severely abused.

Hemi cylinder shutdown burns no oil.

And in my personal opinion rams look way better but beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. Gms look akward like teenage boys. Rams are manly trucks.

The rest are facts.

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
To the OP... I love my Ram. I have had all sorts of trucks in the past but this is the one I hold on too. Mine is a 4x4 quad cab with the Hemi. I just cleared 133,000 on it and it has never left me stranded once. The last maintenance I did to it was the 40,000 mile service until recently. Of course I did a couple break jobs, a dozen or so oil changes, and a couple sets of tires. This thing has been way better to me than I have to it. Recently I have sunk a couple grand into the front end, breaks, tranny service, tune up, etc... because I decided to keep it for another 5 years. It just runs so good and drives like new again. Just can't imagine getting rid of it yet. How many people can jump into their 9 year old truck and smile driving it still. I do...

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Last GM I had was a 2001 Silverado. Bought it new, fully loaded off the lot spring of '02 with just 28 miles on the odometer. Drove it home, to school, to work and home again 3 times - the last trip home I made with it, it caught fire with just over 600 miles on it... Turned out to be a engineering flaw in the dash light wiring - 22ga wire with a 20 amp fuse where a 15ga wire and 7.5 amp fuse SHOULD have been used. Paid cash for the truck, all $38K and after MONTHS of back and forth, after lawyer fees, I got a whopping $9900 back...

Damn that sucks... Do you remember where it was built?

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To the OP... I love my Ram. I have had all sorts of trucks in the past but this is the one I hold on too. Mine is a 4x4 quad cab with the Hemi. I just cleared 133,000 on it and it has never left me stranded once. The last maintenance I did to it was the 40,000 mile service until recently. Of course I did a couple break jobs, a dozen or so oil changes, and a couple sets of tires. This thing has been way better to me than I have to it. Recently I have sunk a couple grand into the front end, breaks, tranny service, tune up, etc... because I decided to keep it for another 5 years. It just runs so good and drives like new again. Just can't imagine getting rid of it yet. How many people can jump into their 9 year old truck and smile driving it still. I do...

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

Good to hear! I will most likely buy a truck with 100k on it, service it myself and keep it til it's done for.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that sucks... Do you remember where it was built?

That was 13 years ago! Hell, I have to have a reminder on my phone for my own birthday.... :roflsquared:

IIRC, it was a VIN starting with a 1, indicating US origin. Which plant, no clue... After this incident, I will never buy another GM product again - if all other manufacturers go belly-up and GM is the only one that survives (HA!) I will walk everywhere, unless they start making shoes too....