RamBox worth getting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rflagg42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
#1 issue I didn't think about is that the Ram boxes pretty much prevent you from ever having a truck cap. There are a few tonneau covers available but choices are limited when compared to the regular bed.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have it and I regret it. It is sexy, not too expensive an option, neatens up the box and still holds plywood. But it condemns you and future owners to never being able to use a one-piece cover, anything requiring stakes, a camper or a shell. Besides the doors are plastic, not metal so you have to take more care when scrambling over the sides by standing on the tires. If you do get it, I am extremely happy with my Agri-Cover Pro aluminum tonneau, one of the very few items made to fit this configuration. Wish I could put a cap on though.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently had to pick up a sectional for my daughter and her friends college apartment. There would of been no way for me to achieve that woth the lost width of the bed with the Ram boxes the way they needed to be loaded for the trip back from the store. So to me I'd rather have the space for when the need arises.

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 Tradesman 2500 which I have been using for 6 months. I love them but there are some drawbacks.

Pros:

1. I do a considerable amount of mountain biking. It's great because I have everything I need in the boxes. they are always there. I don't have to scramble and risk missing something that could easily put my ride out of commission. Tools, pump, spare tubes and tires, gloves, and several other items. It's just there -- I load the bike and hop in the truck and go!
2. when I do shot trips with the family and I use my truck I do take out the biking stuff out and the boxes will hold all the food and everything we need in a secure location that is dust-free. No more keeping stuff in the cab or in the bed under a tonneau cover.
3. They carry a whole lot of stuff and for the 2500 can carry up to 350 lbs each -- don't quote me on that and also I think the 1500 has less capacity.
4. I can fit a pallet in the back -- have to be careful but it fits.
5. I use mine with a gooseneck dump trailer and even at extreme angles they don't hit but I am pretty sure you could hit the neck with the bed if you tried.
6. they are well built.

cons:

1. if you are a weekend warrior landscaper and you want to haul dirt you will have less capacity and getting dirt over the top of the boxes cant be good. I have a dump trailer so it's not an issue for me.
2. limits what you can put on the back like ladder racks and definitely can't put camper tops or anything like that.
3. not crazy about the curved look but it's a truck so who cares -- really doesn't bother me that much.
4. if they get damaged I'll bet anything it's going to cost an arm and a leg so if you plan on always tossing stuff in the back that is heavy keep that in mind. again, I have a dump trailer so not an issue for me.

at the end of the day, I like them, they really work for my purposes.

like everything in life, it's a give and take -- nothing is perfect.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
If you think you want one, you should get it. I love it, lockable, out-of-the-way storage that is easy to access. Much better than those add-in bed boxes others get, IMHO. And you really don't loose much space in the bed that you'd use most of the time anyway. Some think you lose width, you really don't as it's still as wide from wheel well to wheel well as it is without it. Heck, I even have a hard folding cover for my bed that works great with the Ramboxes.

P.S. replacement of the lid seems around $100 if it ever gets damaged. I'm sure the dealer would gouge you though and charge more.

Last edited:

Kubasaki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have the Ram Box on our 2013, it is really handy for us. Was especially handy when we were camping. Worth the money.

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my second 1500 limited and I really use it (RamBox) a lot. I’ve had it on both trucks and had Tonneau cover on both. the last truck was the fourth GEN and I had a factory soft top on it this truck is a fifth GEN and I have a hard backflip top that is working out really really well.
I keep tools, rags, bungee cords, trailer hitch parts, various balls, etc. Mine have been perfectly watertight and I do carry firearms and ammunition. Here’s the Bak-Flii F1 that folds up in thirds all the way to behind the back window completely out of the way. I have the camera rear view option and it’s as if the back window is completely unencumbered. I also opted for the split tailgate and retractable step. My old back feels a lot better if I can step right up to the bed without having to lean over he tailgate to get stuff out of the bed. Happy hunting. It’s only money and increases the value of the truck so you’ll get some of it back at the end.Don’t let any negative nimrods steer you away from the truck or the options that you want.

Attachments

• FD34A4EC-74CD-4218-B75B-D0C90F7097C7.jpeg
    FD34A4EC-74CD-4218-B75B-D0C90F7097C7.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 23

Dave-B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm going to get a new Ram 1500. Trying to decide if it is worth getting the rambox.

I do hunt in the fall so I thought it may come in handy. Just not sure it's worth getting. My old 2007 Ram is showing it's age. Time for a new one.
I was in the same boat. I just ordered mine with ramboxes last week. I went back and forth and read all these reviews and it looks like if it's something that interests you you should probably get in but if you want to maximize your standard bed capacity then maybe pass on them. Let us know what you decide.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I don't like them. For the same money I got the bed platform with the pull out drawers underneath. It's not that high, and I don't haul mulch. It also gives me full withdt above the wheelwells if I'm moving furniture.

TropicalWeather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My next Ram with have them. They do cut into your cargo capacity, if you're hauling or trailering.

Ziggy2

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wouldn't own a RAM without them. Absolutely recommend, especially if you carry emergency supplies, car cleaning, tools, etc. Keeps the clutter out of the cab, which also keeps it quiet in there. Did not impact my cargo hauling one bit.

partzguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my second 1500 limited and I really use it (RamBox) a lot. I’ve had it on both trucks and had Tonneau cover on both. the last truck was the fourth GEN and I had a factory soft top on it this truck is a fifth GEN and I have a hard backflip top that is working out really really well.
I keep tools, rags, bungee cords, trailer hitch parts, various balls, etc. Mine have been perfectly watertight and I do carry firearms and ammunition. Here’s the Bak-Flii F1 that folds up in thirds all the way to behind the back window completely out of the way. I have the camera rear view option and it’s as if the back window is completely unencumbered. I also opted for the split tailgate and retractable step. My old back feels a lot better if I can step right up to the bed without having to lean over he tailgate to get stuff out of the bed. Happy hunting. It’s only money and increases the value of the truck so you’ll get some of it back at the end.Don’t let any negative nimrods steer you away from the truck or the options that you want.
I have a 2021 Longhorn Limited with RamBoxes and split tailgate, and 100% agree with everything you said! Before I bought I knew I wanted the Ramboxes, but did't realize just how handy they would be! And the split tailgate is great, use it all the time... have not yet put the tailgate down in the normal way. If money isn't a barrier I would recommend both of those features to anyone!

Halojumper09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL. Wow, educate yourself before you start spewing nonsense. Hate to break your heart sugar but plywood fits flat in a regular bed all day long. And Beg to differ all you want, the math speaks for itself. Maybe a perfect sheet of plywood fits your truck but what about a load of mulch? Random stuff that isn't in perfectly squared away boxes, ATV's, motorcycles, Junk, the list goes on and on and on.
I have the Ram Boxes...the only downside I've found is that you have to look hard for a good bed covering...that said, I've put all the items listed in the bed of mine...ATV's, lawn mowers, mulch, etc. Not sure what the downside of having them are.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Ram Boxes...the only downside I've found is that you have to look hard for a good bed covering...that said, I've put all the items listed in the bed of mine...ATV's, lawn mowers, mulch, etc. Not sure what the downside of having them are.

This is a load of mulch, not talking a couple of bags from Home depot.
And you may squeeze a ATV in but nothing else. I can get a full size ATV, all the gear, gas cans, and ramps loaded in the back.

Nice try though.

I'm not here to argue with everyone but when people say "I can get just as much stuff in my Rambox" it's just false. The volume speaks for itself.

Again, get what works for you they are a great option, but not for everyone. Just trying to get factual information out so the OP can make an informed decision on what fits his needs.

20160427_211545457_iOS_zpspnzw4w6e.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fortunately my bed cover of choice was available for rambox beds. My before getting the rambox option was whether I could still fit three 8' kayaks in the bed. My girlfriend had a 2009 with ramboxes and she let me see if I could fit them in. They fit perfectly. People I know have asked me how much it limits carrying firewood. I found that even with the ramboxes I can still exceed my payload if I'm hauling freshly cut doug fir. I haven't had any need to haul furniture but I can see how that might be an issue for some items.

I am too short for Ram Boxes, i would need to haul around a stool, i am 5' 8".
I can't reach into my current bed from the side
I don't need to wonder when the lid is going to warp
Or the handle lock is going to lock me out or not open.

This is perfect for me, it carries all the tools, extra fuel & traffic cones that i need
Both boxes can be slid out, they have to be emptied out for one person to remove them.
I never have to climb into the bed, everything is reachable
Both boxes were custom built & made out of aluminum

View attachment 470983

View attachment 470984

View attachment 470985

View attachment 470986

View attachment 470987
My wife is 5' 7" and she has no issues reaching her ramboxes, even with the air suspension in off-road 2. The sides of the open rambox are much lower than the bed sides. I suspect you made this claim without ever actually trying to reach into one.

Sodapop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Simply stated, I love my Ramboxes. I tend to keep a lot of recovery equipment, first aid supplies, compressor and tools. I love being able to carry all my stuff without having it banging around the bed or in the back seat. I'll probably never own a truck without them.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had no issues finding a cover. Bakflip mx4 is what I got, and it probably would have been my choice or something similar even if I didn't have the rambox.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a load of mulch, not talking a couple of bags from Home depot.
And you may squeeze a ATV in but nothing else. I can get a full size ATV, all the gear, gas cans, and ramps loaded in the back.

Nice try though.

I'm not here to argue with everyone but when people say "I can get just as much stuff in my Rambox" it's just false. The volume speaks for itself.

Again, get what works for you they are a great option, but not for everyone. Just trying to get factual information out so the OP can make an informed decision on what fits his needs.

View attachment 471026
It's not like you can't put a load of mulch in a bed with ramboxes. It's just that you can fit a little bit less than a bed without the Rambox. I don't think anyone is saying that with a Rambox it doesn't take away some of your space, but I don't think it's a significant amount. It would be an interesting experiment to load up mulch in both and see what the exact difference is.