@RamCares this is not right and needs to be fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Interesting, I received an email to update my 16 challenger to 18.45.01, but not for my 16 RAM. I checked the version on my RAM and sure enough it also needed to be updated. Mind you, when I checked online it showed my RAM was up to date, but when I physically checked which version I had on both vehicles they were both out of date. Fortunately both systems were operating just fine. I simply accomplished the updates myself. They took about 30 minutes each.

On the flip side, I’ve never had a problem with my navigation. I rely on it often, and I’m going to update my maps for the first time in 2020. I plan on keeping the truck at least till 2023.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I'm so glad I got the tradesman, I thought I wanted the nav, and big screen. I have to drive a 1/4 mi from the property, to get 1 bar signal. 10 plus miles for 4G. Verizon. I just use my phone with a cup holder mount for nav. The above situation would drive me crazy.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
@RamCares
I just had an issue with my 2017 Ram Bighorn where the GPS mysteriously stopped giving directions. I found that it wasn't picking up satellites all of a sudden. I looked around this forum & found that there is an update that will disable the GPS after November 3 if not updated, which I apparently didn't receive. See below as per "TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf"
DISCUSSION:
Vehicles sold in the U.S. can receive software updates “overtheair”.
Updates to software will occur
in a phased rollout.
The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio.
Customers will see a notification on their radio screen when new software is available for their radio
(Fig. 1) . The owner will have the option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There
is not an option to decline the update indefinitely, the update must be performed.
NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turnbyturn,
date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
NOTE: This is an information only Service Bulletin to inform the dealer how the FOTA update
is performed. This document does not contain a LOP for reimbursement.

My Ram lives in the driveway & has received past updates automatically when parked there before. To have an update like this is complete Bull S***. It could leave someone stranded as far as navigation without warning when we are depending on FCA's WAY overpriced Nav system to guide us ($500 + $150 updates, which gives the lesson: Don't pay FCA, buy a Garman Dashtop system for WAY LESS than FCA charges & avoid this!!)!!!! As stated above on Nov 3rd GPS will lose guidance. Well here I am on November 21, 2019, and please correct me if I'm wrong but Nov 21 comes after Nov 03 doesn't it??? excuse my sarcasm as I was left without the use of NAV due to this BS. Luckily I have access to this forum & found out about this update, 18.45.01 to the Uconnect system on My '17 Ram. FCA needs to fix this process of updating. I have no faith in "Big Brother" controlling the fate of MY Ram at their whim without my permission. A letter in the mail PRIOR to this miraculous update deadline of theirs would be appreciated so I could either download this in time or schedule an appointment at my dealer PRIOR to being stranded.

FYI, My NAV worked perfectly many times in the last few weeks including yesterday, November 20, 2019 until total failure today, November 21, 2019. Way after the November 3, 2019 deadline when the automatic update should have happened.

What if i don't use the gps navigation.... does it still need to be updated?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I understand your frustration with the update. Please confirm you're running software level 18.45.01, if not you will need to update your software. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions about the update.
The files for software level 18.45.01 are currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi everyone. I understand your frustration with the update. Please confirm you're running software level 18.45.01, if not you will need to update your software. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions about the update.
The files for software level 18.45.01 are currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home.

Alison
RamCares
Alison
Thank you for replying. Are you going to flow this up to FCA? They either need to get the automatic update out well in advance of any deadline or get letters or emails out to owners before their GPS wakes up dead.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Let's not bring up that in NJ there is a law on the books about excessive idling. We can be fined for idling over 15 minutes. My truck, my radio. I should have the option to update or not.
Thank God I live and will die in Texas!!
The way I see it... my truck, my gas,my time,my money.
I'll do what I want.
Oh yeah did I mention my freedom too

Blue Mule

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
AFAIK the only 2 things affected by this "bug" are the navigation and the automatic setting of the clock (because it uses the GPS signal)

You can manually set the clock by disabling "set time from GPS", then the only bug left would be the nav, so if you dont use that you'll be fine.

you sure ? My radio was shut down the last time I had to do do a n update. One thing I am not sure of, is it the radio mtg that does the update or fca ?

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The update itself fixes the GPS/clock, but there were people that had issues with the OTA notification blocking use of the actual radio.

Im not sure if the OTA is still going out, so if its not your radio should work fine, just the GPS will be inaccurate and the auto-sync of time will be wrong.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn if my cheap radio screwed up today. It froze up. Stayed like that for about 15 minutes

Blue Mule

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank God I live and will die in Texas!!
The way I see it... my truck, my gas,my time,my money.
I'll do what I want.
Oh yeah did I mention my freedom too

Blue Mule

Can't argue with that, especially Freedom which we thank, you, huntergreen, jrod who all posted in this thread along with all of the vets in this forum and the country for preserving:cheers:
Damn if my cheap radio screwed up today. It froze up. Stayed like that for about 15 minutes

Blue Mule

Oh well, looks like your radio got the last word there Mcbroom. Are you gonna run the update?

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could see how this could be very irritating, I have a friend who literally GPS's to his home a 2 mile drive almost every day. He's just a routine oriented person and this issue would drive this guy insane.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I could see how this could be very irritating, I have a friend who literally GPS's to his home a 2 mile drive almost every day. He's just a routine oriented person and this issue would drive this guy insane.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Not to mention the neighbors when he pulls in a block away, walks into the wrong house and starts drinking THEIR beer:D

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I found this thread. I did an OTA update a few months ago, during the summer. It was slow but worked on the first try. It actually improved search function against my USB stick.

I just went out and checked and I have 18.43.01 [2017 Ram 1500 BH]. Punched in my vin at driveuconnect, and yes, I'm eligible for an update. My system hasn't given me a message yet. I just used Send 'N Go and GPS yesterday, and it worked perfectly.

Is this an optional update? I'm an IT guy, and I get a little nervous when I don't know what a patch is system they're patching and what the update does.

Truck's due in for its 20k mile checkup (brakes need to be looked at), and I'd just as soon have the dealership do it...but NOT if it's optional, and NOT if they intend to charge me.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you have 18.11 or newer you have the GPS fix. 18.45.x is just the customer available download (vs OTA update). You should be ok

M² Mods.

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Alison
RamCares
How do I stop updates? Really don't need updates to have my radio only work for me. And I am tired of the screw ups by ram flashes.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Let's not bring up that in NJ there is a law on the books about excessive idling. We can be fined for idling over 15 minutes. My truck, my radio. I should have the option to update or not.

I heard that! So much for remote starting on cold mornings.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@RamCares
I just had an issue with my 2017 Ram Bighorn where the GPS mysteriously stopped giving directions. I found that it wasn't picking up satellites all of a sudden. I looked around this forum & found that there is an update that will disable the GPS after November 3 if not updated, which I apparently didn't receive. See below as per "TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf"
DISCUSSION:
Vehicles sold in the U.S. can receive software updates “overtheair”.
Updates to software will occur
in a phased rollout.
The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio.
Customers will see a notification on their radio screen when new software is available for their radio
(Fig. 1) . The owner will have the option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There
is not an option to decline the update indefinitely, the update must be performed.
NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turnbyturn,
date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
NOTE: This is an information only Service Bulletin to inform the dealer how the FOTA update
is performed. This document does not contain a LOP for reimbursement.

My Ram lives in the driveway & has received past updates automatically when parked there before. To have an update like this is complete Bull S***. It could leave someone stranded as far as navigation without warning when we are depending on FCA's WAY overpriced Nav system to guide us ($500 + $150 updates, which gives the lesson: Don't pay FCA, buy a Garman Dashtop system for WAY LESS than FCA charges & avoid this!!)!!!! As stated above on Nov 3rd GPS will lose guidance. Well here I am on November 21, 2019, and please correct me if I'm wrong but Nov 21 comes after Nov 03 doesn't it??? excuse my sarcasm as I was left without the use of NAV due to this BS. Luckily I have access to this forum & found out about this update, 18.45.01 to the Uconnect system on My '17 Ram. FCA needs to fix this process of updating. I have no faith in "Big Brother" controlling the fate of MY Ram at their whim without my permission. A letter in the mail PRIOR to this miraculous update deadline of theirs would be appreciated so I could either download this in time or schedule an appointment at my dealer PRIOR to being stranded.

FYI, My NAV worked perfectly many times in the last few weeks including yesterday, November 20, 2019 until total failure today, November 21, 2019. Way after the November 3, 2019 deadline when the automatic update should have happened.
Don't know what your problem is but you need to chill out. BTW I believe this latest update, which is needed to be done, does NOT cost you a thing!. It is corrective s/w. Now if you want or think you need the fancier updated s/w then yep you will a price for that privilege. And gee you know what we went for years not needing an V ort GPS so think you will survive without it if that becomes the case. Enjoy.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Can't argue with that, especially Freedom which we thank, you, huntergreen, jrod who all posted in this thread along with all of the vets in this forum and the country for preserving:cheers:

Oh well, looks like your radio got the last word there Mcbroom. Are you gonna run the update?
I haven't seen any info on an update. Next Monday I'm gonna take it in for an oil change and have them check that out and a couple of other things too.
Nothing major though
Thank you for recognizing our service to our country

Blue Mule

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Don't know what your problem is but you need to chill out. BTW I believe this latest update, which is needed to be done, does NOT cost you a thing!. It is corrective s/w. Now if you want or think you need the fancier updated s/w then yep you will a price for that privilege. And gee you know what we went for years not needing an V ort GPS so think you will survive without it if that becomes the case. Enjoy.
I do not have nav nor do I want nav. I also have been through enough with updates and forced updates and failed fca problems. My truck is currently working but the last update screwed up my heated options. It is a real problem when you use those options for arthritis while driving. I am tired of it. If it works, the customer should have the choice to do an update. The customer should also get way more info about why there is an update than just it being forced on them. Hell, even windows tells you what they are fixing. Before they force you to fix it.

using Tapatalk

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
I do not have nav nor do I want nav. I also have been through enough with updates and forced updates and failed fca problems. My truck is currently working but the last update screwed up my heated options. It is a real problem when you use those options for arthritis while driving. I am tired of it. If it works, the customer should have the choice to do an update. The customer should also get way more info about why there is an update than just it being forced on them. Hell, even windows tells you what they are fixing. Before they force you to fix it.

using Tapatalk

You have a point, and there is an option in Windows to NOT update automatically.