@RamCares this is not right and needs to be fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't know what your problem is but you need to chill out. BTW I believe this latest update, which is needed to be done, does NOT cost you a thing!. It is corrective s/w. Now if you want or think you need the fancier updated s/w then yep you will a price for that privilege. And gee you know what we went for years not needing an V ort GPS so think you will survive without it if that becomes the case. Enjoy.
I have NO problem with the update, I have a problem with how they rolled it out. They send me an email every month showing data they read from my truck ( without my permission) but they can't send an email telling me to check that I have the correct revision in my radio. Instead the nav ***** the bed without warning. After I found out about it on this forum I updated it and all is fine. So if you're fine with the " let it break and they'll have to figure it out " method, fine that's your option but I would like a warning that if it didn't update then get the file and update it manually.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
@RamCares
I just had an issue with my 2017 Ram Bighorn where the GPS mysteriously stopped giving directions. I found that it wasn't picking up satellites all of a sudden. I looked around this forum & found that there is an update that will disable the GPS after November 3 if not updated, which I apparently didn't receive. See below as per "TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf"
DISCUSSION:
Vehicles sold in the U.S. can receive software updates “overtheair”.
Updates to software will occur
in a phased rollout.
The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio.
Customers will see a notification on their radio screen when new software is available for their radio
(Fig. 1) . The owner will have the option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There
is not an option to decline the update indefinitely, the update must be performed.
NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turnbyturn,
date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
NOTE: This is an information only Service Bulletin to inform the dealer how the FOTA update
is performed. This document does not contain a LOP for reimbursement.

My Ram lives in the driveway & has received past updates automatically when parked there before. To have an update like this is complete Bull S***. It could leave someone stranded as far as navigation without warning when we are depending on FCA's WAY overpriced Nav system to guide us ($500 + $150 updates, which gives the lesson: Don't pay FCA, buy a Garman Dashtop system for WAY LESS than FCA charges & avoid this!!)!!!! As stated above on Nov 3rd GPS will lose guidance. Well here I am on November 21, 2019, and please correct me if I'm wrong but Nov 21 comes after Nov 03 doesn't it??? excuse my sarcasm as I was left without the use of NAV due to this BS. Luckily I have access to this forum & found out about this update, 18.45.01 to the Uconnect system on My '17 Ram. FCA needs to fix this process of updating. I have no faith in "Big Brother" controlling the fate of MY Ram at their whim without my permission. A letter in the mail PRIOR to this miraculous update deadline of theirs would be appreciated so I could either download this in time or schedule an appointment at my dealer PRIOR to being stranded.

FYI, My NAV worked perfectly many times in the last few weeks including yesterday, November 20, 2019 until total failure today, November 21, 2019. Way after the November 3, 2019 deadline when the automatic update should have happened.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
My 2016 Eco Diesel has the same issue, won't update, tried multiple times, even with on line help. Made two trips to dealer and they couldn't get it to work. Nav is useless, time is one hour off, back up camera works once in while, usually does not when i need it to tow. I am waiting for the thumb drive in the mail and we will see. The GPS system should have free updates, until it does I am with Garmin. I need to have updates every month to get all the traffic and road changes around here and that would cost a bundle with Chrysler.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The $150 / update is ridiculous. You can fix the time. Just tap on the time and there is a setting to do it manually or let gps do it.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
It just resets to an hour off, gps may be accurate one day and the next day it is 20 miles away. Cannot trust it to work anymore.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I much prefer the manual update using the USB drive. Just finished mine, it took 20 minutes.
I was wondering about the "Engine Running" requirement, but I am sure that the earlier post suggesting that it prevents a dead battery is correct.
No issues with this update.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
You would think the dealer could do that, but I have logged about 5 hours in the waiting room over two visits and they were unable to do so!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would think the dealer could do that, but I have logged about 5 hours in the waiting room over two visits and they were unable to do so!

What s/w version is currently on your radio?

If 17.something, you should be able to get the 18.45.01 update here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

then install it yourself.

If 16.something, it might require a little more work but we might be able to walk you through it.

Is it a head unit that had navigation from the factory? Or did you have to pay for a code to enable it?

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Is there a way to initiate an ota update? Mine has never updated nor have I received any notifications that it needed to be (other than some of the problems others have discussed in this thread).

Thx.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to initiate an ota update? Mine has never updated nor have I received any notifications that it needed to be (other than some of the problems others have discussed in this thread).

Thx.

No, but you can go here to get the files and do it yourself:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

Personally I would only update if I really needed it (i.e. your truck has navigation).

The clock being off is not a huge deal, you can unselect auto setting of the time and just set it manually instead.

But if you have nav, that being "way off" will bite you in the butt someday, so I would update sooner rather than later.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW, if you think your case is bad, there are plenty of VINs that are showing "up to date" on the website, yet they not only dont have 18.45.01, they might not even have any form of 17.x. And to add salt to the wound, UConnect took down all other versions of the s/w to download, so they cant even get up to 17.x without a wing and a prayer. Or the potential of being forced to go to a dealer, who will (ruthlessly, if you ask me) threaten to charge them for the update if they are out of warranty.

Ive said it before and I will say it again - the OTA process is not working and has never really worked IMHO. Ditch it completely, post the software for download on an FCA server and let people install it. If people dont feel comfortable installing it, dealers should do it for free. They dont need to babysit it, really, they just need to start the process and walk away. There should be no reason to charge a customer at all, much less "flat 1 hour of labor" for sticking a USB stick in a port.
You can blame Sprint wireless service for the problems, that company is the worst on the planet. Uconnect made a huge mistake by hooking up with this lame cell company. Maybe the should go with Verizon or ATT but its too late.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Thx.
Don't do it. Enjoy your working unit. Do not fall for the con and the resulting mess.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have done about 4 manual updates to my 2014 NAV unit. They all went well.
Are the update problems that folks have a result of OTA updates.
During a manual update, the first thing that is done, is that the file (files) are validated.
I would have thought that the full image would be downloaded and validated as well with OTA updates.

Then there is the question of a battery problem during the update. It is possible the OTA update is done when the owner is not in the vehicle.
Maybe they had a low battery that caused a problem, becasue FCA makes a big deal about keeping the engine running during a manual update.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual updates are a complete wipe and reinstall.

OTA is a "patch" to go from old to new, basically only overlaying the new changes over it. Otherwise each truck would have to download 1.2GB, could you imagine the Sprint network catching on fire as thousands of vehicles downloaded 1.2GB? lol

I think there are multiple issues with the OTA process....network reliability (Sprint is low on the totem pole), lack of installer robustness, inability to reinstall the same s/w or downgrade to an earlier version, etc. Inability to trigger the OTA manually. Inability to completely opt out of OTA.

On top of that it seems like they have a lot of issues keeping track of versions, some newer versions wont install over older depending on how old the original is. Even been some reports of "oh wow, we didnt expect a different map version", because users (gasp) actually updated their nav maps.

Manual updates seem to work just fine, barring hardware issues (see: Sierra Wireless BOLO failure).

OTA processes in general can work....just look at Google, Apple, etc. BUT the main difference is that they require a Wifi connection...they will not update over cell connection, AFAIK.

When gigantic tech companies wont update over a cell connection, what makes FCA/Uconenct think their process would be more reliable than Google or Apple?

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Don't do it. Enjoy your working unit. Do not fall for the con and the resulting mess.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk
I really don't want to, but I'm starting to get issues that bug me. Radio shuts off immediately after engine shutoff (regardless of settings) and clock was messed up for a while. I'm on a 16.X.X software version and I've heard of issues going from 16 to 18. Really, I just want my radio to stay on when I shut off engine.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really don't want to, but I'm starting to get issues that bug me. Radio shuts off immediately after engine shutoff (regardless of settings) and clock was messed up for a while. I'm on a 16.X.X software version and I've heard of issues going from 16 to 18. Really, I just want my radio to stay on when I shut off engine.

RA3 (no NAV, or paid to activate it after purchase of vehicle) or RA4 (cam with nav from factory)?

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Came with NAV from factory, so I'm guessing RA4.