@RamCares this is not right and needs to be fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@RamCares
I just had an issue with my 2017 Ram Bighorn where the GPS mysteriously stopped giving directions. I found that it wasn't picking up satellites all of a sudden. I looked around this forum & found that there is an update that will disable the GPS after November 3 if not updated, which I apparently didn't receive. See below as per "TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf"
DISCUSSION:
Vehicles sold in the U.S. can receive software updates “overtheair”.
Updates to software will occur
in a phased rollout.
The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio.
Customers will see a notification on their radio screen when new software is available for their radio
(Fig. 1) . The owner will have the option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There
is not an option to decline the update indefinitely, the update must be performed.
NOTE: If the update is not performed the following will occur.
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turnbyturn,
date, time) will
be inaccurate.
• Certain connected services applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS.
There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
• Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
• Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
NOTE: This is an information only Service Bulletin to inform the dealer how the FOTA update
is performed. This document does not contain a LOP for reimbursement.

My Ram lives in the driveway & has received past updates automatically when parked there before. To have an update like this is complete Bull S***. It could leave someone stranded as far as navigation without warning when we are depending on FCA's WAY overpriced Nav system to guide us ($500 + $150 updates, which gives the lesson: Don't pay FCA, buy a Garman Dashtop system for WAY LESS than FCA charges & avoid this!!)!!!! As stated above on Nov 3rd GPS will lose guidance. Well here I am on November 21, 2019, and please correct me if I'm wrong but Nov 21 comes after Nov 03 doesn't it??? excuse my sarcasm as I was left without the use of NAV due to this BS. Luckily I have access to this forum & found out about this update, 18.45.01 to the Uconnect system on My '17 Ram. FCA needs to fix this process of updating. I have no faith in "Big Brother" controlling the fate of MY Ram at their whim without my permission. A letter in the mail PRIOR to this miraculous update deadline of theirs would be appreciated so I could either download this in time or schedule an appointment at my dealer PRIOR to being stranded.

FYI, My NAV worked perfectly many times in the last few weeks including yesterday, November 20, 2019 until total failure today, November 21, 2019. Way after the November 3, 2019 deadline when the automatic update should have happened.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, if you think your case is bad, there are plenty of VINs that are showing "up to date" on the website, yet they not only dont have 18.45.01, they might not even have any form of 17.x. And to add salt to the wound, UConnect took down all other versions of the s/w to download, so they cant even get up to 17.x without a wing and a prayer. Or the potential of being forced to go to a dealer, who will (ruthlessly, if you ask me) threaten to charge them for the update if they are out of warranty.

Ive said it before and I will say it again - the OTA process is not working and has never really worked IMHO. Ditch it completely, post the software for download on an FCA server and let people install it. If people dont feel comfortable installing it, dealers should do it for free. They dont need to babysit it, really, they just need to start the process and walk away. There should be no reason to charge a customer at all, much less "flat 1 hour of labor" for sticking a USB stick in a port.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FWIW, if you think your case is bad, there are plenty of VINs that are showing "up to date" on the website, yet they not only dont have 18.45.01, they might not even have any form of 17.x. And to add salt to the wound, UConnect took down all other versions of the s/w to download, so they cant even get up to 17.x without a wing and a prayer. Or the potential of being forced to go to a dealer, who will (ruthlessly, if you ask me) threaten to charge them for the update if they are out of warranty.

Ive said it before and I will say it again - the OTA process is not working and has never really worked IMHO. Ditch it completely, post the software for download on an FCA server and let people install it. If people dont feel comfortable installing it, dealers should do it for free. They dont need to babysit it, really, they just need to start the process and walk away. There should be no reason to charge a customer at all, much less "flat 1 hour of labor" for sticking a USB stick in a port.

And to boot they supply installation instructions on the Uconnect site where you download the update which states:

Radio Software Update Instructions
If you have trouble with the software update, please contact Uconnect Care at 877-855-8400.
It is important to read the instructions below completely before undertaking the task of updating the radio software. If you do not feel comfortable with this task, simply call your local Chrysler/Ram/Dodge/Jeep dealer to make a service appointment. Your dealer will perform this service for you free of charge.
WARNING: This procedure requires the engine to be running for up to 25 minutes. The vehicle must be located in an area with adequate ventilation. Failure to have adequate ventilation could cause a build-up of carbon mon-oxide and/or low oxygen levels. Do not attempt to perform this procedure in an enclosed garage or parking structure.
CAUTION: The software update procedure takes 25 minutes. You must allow 30 minutes to perform this software update.
CAUTION: Do not drive the vehicle while the radio software update is being performed.
CAUTION: Do not perform this radio software update while the vehicle is parked over combustible material (tall grass, brush, leaves, etc.). The exhaust pipe temperatures could cause a fire.
CAUTION: Be sure that there is at least 1/4 tank of fuel before perform this software update.
CAUTION: Do not leave the vehicle unattended while performing this software update. An unattended running vehicle may result in vehicle theft. Also, a running unattended vehicle may violate state and/or local laws.
CAUTION: Do not install the supplied USB drive into any other FCA vehicles. Permanent radio damage to those vehicles may occur. Discard the supplied USB drive after the radio software in the intended vehicle has been updated.

The correct instructions are here Thanks to Mpgrimm2:

His link:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

See TSB 08-089-19 LINKED BELOW
TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf

Which said to leave the ignition OFF, Not running, which I did & it installed without problem. When I tried following the previous "Run the engine for 25 minutes during install" it crashed twice which is when I followed the "Ignition off" version!!!

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW I think they say to have it running to make sure the battery stays charged. I installed it with the engine running just to be sure.

Based on how their updates have gone in the past, I could only imagine how unrecoverable a radio would be if the battery died during an update. I think they should just say the battery should be fully charged or at least on a charger while the update is taking place. Maybe tell the dealers to run the truck if they are doing multiple and dont have a ton of battery chargers, but end users shouldnt have to leave the truck running.

Thankfully, this should be the last update I ever do. My head unit seems to be an OTA "ghost" so I never get prompted for updates (which is a good thing). Only reason I installed this one is to keep the nav working, which it has. So as far as Im concerned there will never be another update important enough for me to willingly install.

They really did s the pooch on this one, though....waited WAAAAY too long to release it. The s/w was up on the server just about a month ahead of the actual date, yet they "officially" released it 3 days before November 3. OF COURSE not everyone got it in time.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When my GPS **** the bed I thought my radio was going south. I just renewed with Sirius a week ago after cancelling back in September when they wanted over $250 for a year. They finally emailed me & gave me 1 year for $60 PLUS, after an argument to get what they offered, an Amazon Echo Dot for free (49.99 value) & free activation, I figured I would have to get the radio replaced, in warranty of course, then deal with Sirius to transfer the account to the new radio so luckily that didn't happen.

FYI, I just saw that Best Buy has the Amazon Dot for just over $20 on black Friday for those that are interested.
:cheers:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This week rollover "bug" was (literally) 19.7 years in the making, so its not like they didnt have a heads up :)

I know that FCA doesnt make the chipset that needed to be updated, but my guess is the chipset manufacturer had the fix ready to go a LONG time ago, because surely THEY knew it was coming.

FCA getting a hold of it, building it into their own and then distributing it was the issue, IMHO.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This week rollover "bug" was (literally) 19.7 years in the making, so its not like they didnt have a heads up :)

I know that FCA doesnt make the chipset that needed to be updated, but my guess is the chipset manufacturer had the fix ready to go a LONG time ago, because surely THEY knew it was coming.

FCA getting a hold of it, building it into their own and then distributing it was the issue, IMHO.
And the fact they said to have the truck running had less to do with the battery charge and more with the fact they all have stock in oil...:D

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What really ticked me off, if you didn't notice I was pissed in post #1 :D, was I had the issue today around noon where it wouldn't work. I got home & realized it wasn't picking up the satellites, I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reboot the system, and cleaned the battery terminals while I had them off. After that I restarted it & all was good, GPS working fine. My daughter called & asked if I could pick up the youngest grandson from school, we already had her older one at our house sick from school today, I left to get the younger while the Mrs watched the older and went to put the GPS location in & NO Satellites!!! Thank goodness for my old memory as far as finding his school which is 30 miles from our house.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, no one really knew what to expect once the "bug" hit. You are not alone in your experience....a lot of owners on other forums (Challenger, Cherokee, etc) are saying "hey I didnt need the update, GPS still works". Until it doesnt. Then it will work again if you reset the radio, disconnect the battery, etc. Then it will stop working again.

So, it looks like the update really was necessary. But I can only imagine how many people out there have no idea. The list of affected vehicles (you can see it in the TSB PDF) is probably close to, if not over, a million.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2019
Engine
Cummings 6.7
It did something like this on our Pacifica it finally did the update over the air but it did take about 45 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, no one really knew what to expect once the "bug" hit. You are not alone in your experience....a lot of owners on other forums (Challenger, Cherokee, etc) are saying "hey I didnt need the update, GPS still works". Until it doesnt. Then it will work again if you reset the radio, disconnect the battery, etc. Then it will stop working again.

So, it looks like the update really was necessary. But I can only imagine how many people out there have no idea. The list of affected vehicles (you can see it in the TSB PDF) is probably close to, if not over, a million.
My point is if they insist on having aliens send the updates down from the mothership, skip the **** probing & send the updates already. :rolleyes:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the OTA update on Halloween night, had to run out for something important and when I started the truck it informed me I needed to do the update, or schedule it for later. As I needed to be leaving, I opted to schedule it for early the next morning. As soon as I hit the button to schedule that time, it started updating and told me not to turn off or drive the vehicle. I got a little pissed and left anyway, drove through a pretty ridiculous storm while it was updating for the next 15 minutes or so. It finished before I got to where I was going, screen rebooted and everything was fine and has been since then.

No real point to the story, other than maybe the "can't drive" while updating is BS too? Good luck with yours, I feel for you guys that are having these issues, I've dealt with losing GPS before multiple times but it was due to the 8.4 unit ******** the bed multiple times.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I use my phone.
It's free.

I was the Director of Clinical Engineering at a hospital in North Jersey in 1999. My dept. (2 of us) were responsible for ensuring all of the patient medical equipment would work when the dreaded "End of the World" arrived at 00:00 hrs, 01-01-2000. I can honestly say, we had less trouble than you did with your truck. Sad when you think about it. Makes me feel just a little bit better about my Tradesman.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem with driving, I think, is that you can lose the cell connection too. So what happens if the file download is incomplete.

Plus it uses the Sprint network, which is not the greatest of the great, so its pretty easy to end up somewhere with not great coverage.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got the OTA update on Halloween night, had to run out for something important and when I started the truck it informed me I needed to do the update, or schedule it for later. As I needed to be leaving, I opted to schedule it for early the next morning. As soon as I hit the button to schedule that time, it started updating and told me not to turn off or drive the vehicle. I got a little pissed and left anyway, drove through a pretty ridiculous storm while it was updating for the next 15 minutes or so. It finished before I got to where I was going, screen rebooted and everything was fine and has been since then.

No real point to the story, other than maybe the "can't drive" while updating is BS too? Good luck with yours, I feel for you guys that are having these issues, I've dealt with losing GPS before multiple times but it was due to the 8.4 unit ******** the bed multiple times.
I never received a warning, just a ****ing. FCA needs to be more proactive on these updates

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with driving, I think, is that you can lose the cell connection too. So what happens if the file download is incomplete.

Plus it uses the Sprint network, which is not the greatest of the great, so its pretty easy to end up somewhere with not great coverage.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that aspect of it. Guess I got lucky there too.

I never received a warning, just a ****ing. FCA needs to be more proactive on these updates

I agree, I just got lucky mine did it then. If it hadn't done it on its own I would likely be in the same position. Certainly seems like these updates are more trouble than they are worth most of the time.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Point taken, but I have Sprint & have great coverage & signal strength where I'm at. I have NO issues with wifi, internet, & phone coverage, my signal strength is maxed out & I still didn't receive this "Time Limited" update

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And to boot they supply installation instructions on the Uconnect site where you download the update which states:

Radio Software Update Instructions
If you have trouble with the software update, please contact Uconnect Care at 877-855-8400.
It is important to read the instructions below completely before undertaking the task of updating the radio software. If you do not feel comfortable with this task, simply call your local Chrysler/Ram/Dodge/Jeep dealer to make a service appointment. Your dealer will perform this service for you free of charge.
WARNING: This procedure requires the engine to be running for up to 25 minutes. The vehicle must be located in an area with adequate ventilation. Failure to have adequate ventilation could cause a build-up of carbon mon-oxide and/or low oxygen levels. Do not attempt to perform this procedure in an enclosed garage or parking structure.
CAUTION: The software update procedure takes 25 minutes. You must allow 30 minutes to perform this software update.
CAUTION: Do not drive the vehicle while the radio software update is being performed.
CAUTION: Do not perform this radio software update while the vehicle is parked over combustible material (tall grass, brush, leaves, etc.). The exhaust pipe temperatures could cause a fire.
CAUTION: Be sure that there is at least 1/4 tank of fuel before perform this software update.
CAUTION: Do not leave the vehicle unattended while performing this software update. An unattended running vehicle may result in vehicle theft. Also, a running unattended vehicle may violate state and/or local laws.
CAUTION: Do not install the supplied USB drive into any other FCA vehicles. Permanent radio damage to those vehicles may occur. Discard the supplied USB drive after the radio software in the intended vehicle has been updated.

The correct instructions are here Thanks to Mpgrimm2:

His link:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

See TSB 08-089-19 LINKED BELOW
TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAx v18.45.01.pdf

Which said to leave the ignition OFF, Not running, which I did & it installed without problem. When I tried following the previous "Run the engine for 25 minutes during install" it crashed twice which is when I followed the "Ignition off" version!!!

Let's not bring up that in NJ there is a law on the books about excessive idling. We can be fined for idling over 15 minutes. My truck, my radio. I should have the option to update or not.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if i don't use the gps navigation.... does it still need to be updated?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

AFAIK the only 2 things affected by this "bug" are the navigation and the automatic setting of the clock (because it uses the GPS signal)

You can manually set the clock by disabling "set time from GPS", then the only bug left would be the nav, so if you dont use that you'll be fine.