Rams newest uconnect update broke my nav. system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well, living in the country is great.. but satellite wifi is not, it took all this time just to get those two links on my drive! I'm going to have to do the next step another day.I'm a bit nervous that more downloading is involved, takes hours here, and if I get step two done who knows how long step three will take. I will have to pick up another drive, then I will get the second file on that. I hope this fixes my GPS, took a good part of my day.Will I have to go through all this when RAM sends out the next great update?

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hope not. Next satellite rollover shouldnt be for a couple decades.

Once you get to the install part, let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will, thanks Ken

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went out to the truck this morning. As soon as I opened the door the message 'Insert update USB' flashed on the display.

I inserted the USB I made last night 17.x, and it began updating.

Sitting in the driveway in Run mode...

Fingers crossed I can get functionality back.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went out to the truck this morning. As soon as I opened the door the message 'Insert update USB' flashed on the display.

I inserted the USB I made last night 17.x, and it began updating.

Sitting in the driveway in Run mode...

Fingers crossed I can get functionality back.

If your truck is not running, I would put a battery tender/charger on it if possible. The 17.x update takes a while, wouldnt want it to kill your battery (especially DURING the update)

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If your truck is not running, I would put a battery tender/charger on it if possible. The 17.x update takes a while, wouldnt want it to kill your battery (especially DURING the update)

Yea, mine took an hour when i did the 17.43 update.

My truck is Canadian, and i never even considered the possibility that it would use a different update than US trucks. I went to 17.43 with us files, then to 18.45 on US files.

So far, so good. Its been running for several weeks on the US update software. Its working better than ever on US RA3 version 18.45.01

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I came across this thread. I recently noticed my GPS was acting very strangely. Funny that it will accurately display the map while driving but gets lost immediately if you ask for directions. I just did the update, now to take a drive and see if it worked. I modified the above instructions though and used bourbon instead of beer. Hope that didn't mess anything up. :)

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Glad I came across this thread. I recently noticed my GPS was acting very strangely. Funny that it will accurately display the map while driving but gets lost immediately if you ask for directions. I just did the update, now to take a drive and see if it worked. I modified the above instructions though and used bourbon instead of beer. Hope that didn't mess anything up. :)

Out of curousity, what year is your truck and which radio?

And yes, bourbon obviously gets the job done! Probably better even, than beer. Especially if its Makers Mark!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded my 2016 1500 with the factory nav. when I first bought my truck.I was very happy with the system, then noticed today the nav is screwed up since they pushed the update, it shows the truck icon floating off the road, and none of the streets jive up.I tried to disconnect the neg batt terminal, no luck.Anyone else have this issue?
Maybe you can in the settings mode do a factory reset. but call uconnect first because you might wipe out the Nav on it but they would reload it because you paid already for it

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curousity, what year is your truck and which radio?

And yes, bourbon obviously gets the job done! Probably better even, than beer. Especially if its Makers Mark!
2015 Laramie 1500 with factory nav

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 came with a RA3 and alpine system. I bought a 2015 RA4 off ebay and installed it a year + ago. I downloaded the update from this forum, took the files in the folder and stuck them on a memory stick, after about 2 mins a pop up showed and asked if I wanted to install. I did this when I left work and my drive is 30 mins, as I got home, it finished, took 35 mins total. So far been perfect, zero issues.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You downloaded the update files from elsewhere? Or one of the files i linked in this thread?
I just went to the uconnect website and entered my VIN to see if there was an update. There was. Unzipped it onto a flash drive and partied the rest. Probably just what you were recommending. I have a short attention span and sometimes I'm not so keen on too much reading and just went directly to where I thought the solution might be.

I have to admit I didn't initially think to go there because my system had recently updated, or so I thought.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just went to the uconnect website and entered my VIN to see if there was an update. There was. Unzipped it onto a flash drive and partied the rest. Probably just what you were recommending. I have a short attention span and sometimes I'm not so keen on too much reading and just went directly to where I thought the solution might be.

I have to admit I didn't initially think to go there because my system had recently updated, or so I thought.

Im happy to hear that you got updated without any of the trouble others have experienced.

Hopefully this will be the last update we have to deal with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
Well I attempted this update and went through the correct steps/downloads. Entered my vin in and it said I have the update as well. However, my 2014 is running an old version - 15.26.1 - on Uconnect. When I go in to update to the 17.x ra3 it says I have the incorrect software.

The PDF on the uconnect's site states I need to see the dealer if my radio is still on 15.26.1. Looks like I am making a trip to the dealership over the next few weeks. Maybe this explains why Uconnect could not connect to my truck and told me to go in to see the dealer originally?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I attempted this update and went through the correct steps/downloads. Entered my vin in and it said I have the update as well. However, my 2014 is running an old version - 15.26.1 - on Uconnect. When I go in to update to the 17.x ra3 it says I have the incorrect software.

The PDF on the uconnect's site states I need to see the dealer if my radio is still on 15.26.1. Looks like I am making a trip to the dealership over the next few weeks. Maybe this explains why Uconnect could not connect to my truck and told me to go in to see the dealer originally?

The 17.X software is model year and radio specific. Make sure you have 17.x for a 2014 RA3. I dont think we've been able to find that exact version yet (UConnect took down all of the old updates when they release 18.45 and I had not downloaded every single version ahead of time because I did not anticipate the level of their stupidity)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
The 17.X software is model year and radio specific. Make sure you have 17.x for a 2014 RA3. I dont think we've been able to find that exact version yet (UConnect took down all of the old updates when they release 18.45 and I had not downloaded every single version ahead of time because I did not anticipate the level of their stupidity)

That makes a ton more sense. I could not find a download in the post for '14 so I used '13 thinking it might be the same. Thanks for the clarification! The radio works just fine and no use in screwing with it until I find the download and can do it properly. Love how they took down the old updates and caused more of a headache for everyone involved.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That makes a ton more sense. I could not find a download in the post for '14 so I used '13 thinking it might be the same. Thanks for the clarification! The radio works just fine and no use in screwing with it until I find the download and can do it properly. Love how they took down the old updates and caused more of a headache for everyone involved.

To be honest, if you arent using the navigation setup, the latest update doesnt really do anything other than that (and it will fix your clock if its on the automatic setting).

Granted, you are on a really old version so going up to 17.X might not be a bad idea anyway, but the 18.45.01 update is for fixing the GPS bu which affects navigation and auto-time-setting only.

Keep an eye on this post: https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1125880/

Thats where the 2014 RA3 file will be posted once someone provides it.

-Chris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
To be honest, if you arent using the navigation setup, the latest update doesnt really do anything other than that (and it will fix your clock if its on the automatic setting).

Granted, you are on a really old version so going up to 17.X might not be a bad idea anyway, but the 18.45.01 update is for fixing the GPS bu which affects navigation and auto-time-setting only.

Keep an eye on this post: https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1125880/

Thats where the 2014 RA3 file will be posted once someone provides it.

-Chris

I wouldn't mind upgrading to just the 17.x because it's nice to have a newer version and I will absolutely keep an eye on that post once someone can provide it. Until then, I will keep it as is! I was afraid I had bricked it, but luckily it went back to factory settings on the unit and all was well. Kind of surprising that it didn't brick with all of the other issues I have been seeing. Thanks again Chris!