Re-center Steering Wheel After Leveling Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davalt75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just had a 2 1/2" Rough Country leveling kit installed. I have no complaints about the leveling kit itself. I cannot tell any difference in the ride whatsoever. However, the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right now when the wheels are straight. The alignment seems good as the truck tracks straight when I take my hands off of the wheel. It is just the steering wheel that is crooked. I've read that on previous generations this could be easily fixed by adjusting the drag link. Has anyone had experience doing this yourself on a 5th gen 2500 or 3500? Or should I take it to a tire shop and let them do it? I'm a do it your selfer and I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself. Especially if it is relatively simple.

Last edited:

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, I did. Couldn’t be simpler.

2020 2500

OP
OP
davalt75

davalt75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, I did. Couldn’t be simpler.

2020 2500
In the videos I've seen online there is a hexagonal adjustment piece in the drag link with a locking nut on each end. I looked under the front end and I didn't see said piece so I'm assuming the draglink must be a little different on the newer trucks. Or did I just overlook it?

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2020 was just like this

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can turn the draglink in whichever way is needed to recenter the steering wheel however since you lifted the truck 2.5" you bet your toe also moved and if your caster is adjustable that would have changed as well. Get the truck to the alignment rack so you can get her back to spec. Way Cheaper than a new set of tires.

Last edited:

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can turn the draglink in whichever way is needed to recenter the steering wheel however since you lifted the truck 2.5" you bet your toe also moved and if your caster is adjustable that would have changed as well. Get the truck to the alignment rack so you can get her back to spec. Way Cheaper than a new set of tires.
Agree with this. The geometry has changed which is why the steering wheel is a little off. You may not see any wear on your tires for a while but if you don't have it checked for alignment you will wear your tires out quicker - obviously right?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Agree with this. The geometry has changed which is why the steering wheel is a little off. You may not see any wear on your tires for a while but if you don't have it checked for alignment you will wear your tires out quicker - obviously right?

Hes got a 2500, so the toe is not effected at all with levels or lifts (solid tie rod between the two tires). The caster will now be a bit different, which is basically the only thing adjustable on a 2500.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Davalt, I have a "16" 2500 that I installed the same leveling kit on. You need to install an adjustable track bar. When the level kit was installed it automatically pulls the axle to the left, which inturn makes the steering wheel off center. RC has a nice trackbar and adorable to.