rear coil spacers-well now what:)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I decided I wanted to have a bit of rake back on my 2018 Ram 1500. My initial plan was to go with a replacement coil, only to get a bit of added height. I contacted Tuff Trucks and they recommended the 1223VT I think it is called based on my perimeters. Added rear height but no towing, rarely a load aside from occasional HD trip, no constant 500lb plus load. That being said, they did say because of how the variable shock loads, I may want to add coil spacers as well to ensure it will always sit higher without the issues that the 1223 gives if you don't have an almost constant load.

So, then I thought...I end up spending almost 300 canadian for coil springs, then I still have to possibly add coil spacers which are insanely expensive in Canada (well, they are insanely expensive in general for a fricking puck) Anyway, after searching all day yesterday, I found some at a reasonable price that I liked.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-2009-20...m+1500&hash=item41a4f485e9:g:0isAAOSwVfVeWUsw

coilspacer.jpg

I got him to give me some money off on the product so I paid about 110 Canadian. I know it sounds expensive to my US friends, but this is Canada. Can't believe how many people are charging insane shipping on ebay since I last used to supplement what they charge for product. Its insane. Anyhew...questions:

This is a bolt through and use at the top type, right? there is no nipple hole so it can sit on the bottom perch. I don't have the instructions yet, but my guess is I would still use the insulator just under it on top of the coil.

If I get the one that was advertised its the delrin version. (there was a steel option I believe or a delrin option. This ad was for the delrin which I wanted). Here's my conundrum. I have a 2.1" bilstein 5100 lift on the front and my truck looks with no lift on back to sit basically dead level with no load. This ia 2" spacer. Do you think it will actually lift my truck by 2" on rear? I've read that some don't actually give you the stated height but I don't know if thats the material gets some crush with weight, or if its a front end thing only. I've just seen disclaimers from some manufacturers. And I don't know if Delrin will compact at all or not. I don't want to be putting these in, taking them out again. So here's what I'm considering and trying to figure out how I would do it cheap! I'm thinking to get them cut down or milled down by to 1 inch. From 2. The good news is Delrin is easily machined so I'm sure a machine shop could do a precise job on it. The bad news..I want to avoid spending more money on the project. @Wild one , any ideas? LOL!

Last thought and question- Do you think that if I left it at 2 inches and it didn't go below 2, that the stock shocks would have any issues or am I adding too much height to use them? i'm happy with what I have and again, don't want to spend more money.

Thanks for thoughts. If I seem OCD its probably because I am. Causes me to overthink a lot of things:)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the VT springs already? They should give you 1-1.5” lift. Those are new and the longest coils they have which are 1/4“ longer than stock. In any case you won’t need the spacers.The 1223V are supposed to be stock height, the VTs are supposed to lift your 1.5” according to their website. If they post actual free length and rates they would clarify and help those looking for those springs to make a better decision. Listing only 25% or 50% firmer than stock doesn’t help people. Lol

The amount of lift you’ll get in the back out of the spacer is the size of the spacer itself. The spacer sits at the top or bottom of the spring and the springs are sitting straight.
The front is different because there is an angle in the strut and a ratio that angle creates because the Lower portion of the strut is sitting in the lower control arm which pivots up and down.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thx for your thoughts. No thankfully I think I had not bought the springs yet. Here is what Paul at Tuff Trucks said:

Thank you for your inquiry. We have 2 kits that give a lift but one of them TTC-1223 is considered a rough ride when empty and requires a constant load of 500lbs. The other kit is the TTC-1223VT which is a variable rate coil that gives a 1-1.5 inch lift to the rear of your truck. This coil has 2 capacity rates with the first 2 inches being the same as your OEM coil is now so you will get a lift when the truck is empty but as you load more weight it will compress 2 inches until it reaches the second rate of a 35% increase to handle the load so now you will lose the lift when loading which means you may want to help the lift with spacers.

I know I don't load often but when I do I don't want up to a 2 inch drop until I unload. For example, I'm going 10 hours to our cabin this summer and prob will bring up to 200lb of stuff back with me. Plus I carry about 50 lb of tools for road emergencies in a tub in the back. I don't want the truck nose up at all for 10 hours so yeah, I want to put a little rake back into it (not just because of that trip but in general but not 2 inches! I think 1 would be ok to my eye.

Its been one yr since the bilsteins so i need to recheck measurements on the truck height
Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thx for your thoughts. No thankfully I think I had not bought the springs yet. Here is what Paul at Tuff Trucks said:

Thank you for your inquiry. We have 2 kits that give a lift but one of them TTC-1223 is considered a rough ride when empty and requires a constant load of 500lbs. The other kit is the TTC-1223VT which is a variable rate coil that gives a 1-1.5 inch lift to the rear of your truck. This coil has 2 capacity rates with the first 2 inches being the same as your OEM coil is now so you will get a lift when the truck is empty but as you load more weight it will compress 2 inches until it reaches the second rate of a 35% increase to handle the load so now you will lose the lift when loading which means you may want to help the lift with spacers.

I know I don't load often but when I do I don't want up to a 2 inch drop until I unload. For example, I'm going 10 hours to our cabin this summer and prob will bring up to 200lb of stuff back with me. Plus I carry about 50 lb of tools for road emergencies in a tub in the back. I don't want the truck nose up at all for 10 hours so yeah, I want to put a little rake back into it (not just because of that trip but in general but not 2 inches! I think 1 would be ok to my eye.

Its been one yr since the bilsteins so i need to recheck measurements on the truck height

You should not loose 2" with just 250lbs of weight with the VT's. We did a little calculation not long ago. let me see if i can find where i wrote it.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Cool thx

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what i have in my spreadsheet:

1210's are advertised as 258 lbs/inch (25% extra load)
1211's are advertised as 50% extra load, so that is 319 lbs/inch
1223 are the same as 1211's but i bet you a tad longer
1223V are stock rate 1st rate, 280lbs 2nd rate (35% extra load)
1223VT's are the same as the 1223 but 3/4" longer, so you should have 280lbs/inch on their 2nd rate

Now what's the stock rate ?
if we take 258 lbs/inch from the 1210 and they are 25% firmer that means:
258 -> 125%
*** <- 100%
Simple math will tell us the stocker are 206lbs/inch, and that's what you have in the VT's on 1st rate.

Multiply that by 2 (since you have 1 spring per corner), and you have 400lbs of weight before they drop 1", another 400 lbs top drop a full 2" and hit the 2nd rate of 280lbs/inch
Since you are lifted already 1" with the VT's unloaded, you would need at least 400lbs in the back of the bed to drop to stock height, and another 400lbs after that that for your 2nd rate to kick in.

Hope it helps.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting! Thx for the info

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I decided I wanted to have a bit of rake back on my 2018 Ram 1500. My initial plan was to go with a replacement coil, only to get a bit of added height. I contacted Tuff Trucks and they recommended the 1223VT I think it is called based on my perimeters. Added rear height but no towing, rarely a load aside from occasional HD trip, no constant 500lb plus load. That being said, they did say because of how the variable shock loads, I may want to add coil spacers as well to ensure it will always sit higher without the issues that the 1223 gives if you don't have an almost constant load.

So, then I thought...I end up spending almost 300 canadian for coil springs, then I still have to possibly add coil spacers which are insanely expensive in Canada (well, they are insanely expensive in general for a fricking puck) Anyway, after searching all day yesterday, I found some at a reasonable price that I liked.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-2009-2020-Dodge-Ram-1500-2WD-4WD-2-Inch-Rear-Leveling-Lift-Kit-4X2-4X4/281940362729?fits=Model:Ram+1500&hash=item41a4f485e9:g:0isAAOSwVfVeWUsw

View attachment 208606

I got him to give me some money off on the product so I paid about 110 Canadian. I know it sounds expensive to my US friends, but this is Canada. Can't believe how many people are charging insane shipping on ebay since I last used to supplement what they charge for product. Its insane. Anyhew...questions:

This is a bolt through and use at the top type, right? there is no nipple hole so it can sit on the bottom perch. I don't have the instructions yet, but my guess is I would still use the insulator just under it on top of the coil.

If I get the one that was advertised its the delrin version. (there was a steel option I believe or a delrin option. This ad was for the delrin which I wanted). Here's my conundrum. I have a 2.1" bilstein 5100 lift on the front and my truck looks with no lift on back to sit basically dead level with no load. This ia 2" spacer. Do you think it will actually lift my truck by 2" on rear? I've read that some don't actually give you the stated height but I don't know if thats the material gets some crush with weight, or if its a front end thing only. I've just seen disclaimers from some manufacturers. And I don't know if Delrin will compact at all or not. I don't want to be putting these in, taking them out again. So here's what I'm considering and trying to figure out how I would do it cheap! I'm thinking to get them cut down or milled down by to 1 inch. From 2. The good news is Delrin is easily machined so I'm sure a machine shop could do a precise job on it. The bad news..I want to avoid spending more money on the project. @Wild one , any ideas? LOL!

Last thought and question- Do you think that if I left it at 2 inches and it didn't go below 2, that the stock shocks would have any issues or am I adding too much height to use them? i'm happy with what I have and again, don't want to spend more money.

Thanks for thoughts. If I seem OCD its probably because I am. Causes me to overthink a lot of things:)

Not familiar with those spacers Terry,but you should be able to use masking tape to wrap them for a guide where you want to trim them down to,then use a good old hacksaw with a new fine tooth blade to cut them at the tape edge. They're only a spacer so you don't need them precisely cut on a lathe,as the Delrin will conform to the spring and pocket over time. Did you look into a set of inner spring air bags,they might be another option to check out for your circumstances

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not familiar with those spacers Terry,but you should be able to use masking tape to wrap them for a guide where you want to trim them down to,then use a good old hacksaw with a new fine tooth blade to cut them at the tape edge. They're only a spacer so you don't need them precisely cut on a lathe,as the Delrin will conform to the spring and pocket over time. Did you look into a set of inner spring air bags,they might be another option to check out for your circumstances
Thanks Rick. Yeah I guess I thought I was building a piano here...if you get my point. I found a guy with a lathe who can make them nice for 25 bucks. I may go that route as I would have to spend at least that much on a vice (all the tools i have & I don't have a vice!) Air bags sound cool but pricey..and maybe complex:) The pucks are bought and paid for so I think I'll just work with them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Rick. Yeah I guess I thought I was building a piano here...if you get my point. I found a guy with a lathe who can make them nice for 25 bucks. I may go that route as I would have to spend at least that much on a vice (all the tools i have & I don't have a vice!) Air bags sound cool but pricey..and maybe complex:) The pucks are bought and paid for so I think I'll just work with them.

It was somewhere around a 100 bucks for the airbags I have,but that was several years ago.They just go inside the spring and you run a couple lines for the air fittings,not hard to do,but a little tougher then installing the spring spacers.Both require spring removal,but the bags also entail running a couple air lines