Rear down now!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my truck has been leveled in front before with 35's and it was nice, but really my truck isn't going to be going off road that much, and like most of you in this lowered thread I really kind of like the more lowered type of truck. At my age Im done with lifts and so on. And so with my Tradesman 4x4 I have been working on a Stormtrooper kind of theme with the white and black. All I have left is the bumpers and I just don't know if I want to go with black or white on them. The front end is OK at its current height but that rear end has got to come down to make it level, and I can do the airbags later for hauling. So my question is what are you all using on these 4x4's to get that rear end down for a better look and performance? 20180524_180938.jpg

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Yes u can add bags to help under load. I added bags last weekend to my lowered Ram. Second pick was before bags under load.c8fb7fdc37e7acc25f18749face26b2e.jpg2d077e5799bc0444af6fae1414ea7151.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered my 2" rear lowering springs tonight, will be in around 13JUN18. Seems strange lowering the rear of a 4x4 but I guess this gives me the look and handling and ride of the sportier RAM 1500 but with the 4x4 capability for winter and a little off road capability if needed for those little surprises!

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2" Lowering rear springs will be here in the morning. After I get them installed, Ill post pics. I also color matched that upper front bumper cover and grill today Mopar Bright White paint code so that will be in the pic too. I still plan to get OEM steel front and rear bumpers and color match them too but it will be a while I expect. I going to sell the chrome grill and front and rear bumpers soon to offset the cost of the painted OEM front and rear bumpers. Then to the interior for a few more upgrades and that will be it for a while until I can afford a bed cover of some sort.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20180612_105950.jpg
So she is down in the rear a full 2" from stock 4x4 ride height. I also took the time to paint the upper front bumper cover and the grill Dupli-Color Factory Mopar bright white. I still need to do something with those chrome bumpers and chrome exhaust tip. I think she will be ok. Its kind of the best of all worlds, level stance of a 2wd lowered truck (sort of) and still have the 4x4 option for bad weather and those times when you just gotta have 4x4! The tires are 285/75-17 and the wheels are 17x9 Scorpions. Oh, please pardon the view of my nice messy garage!

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2" Lowering rear springs will be here in the morning. After I get them installed, Ill post pics. I also color matched that upper front bumper cover and grill today Mopar Bright White paint code so that will be in the pic too. I still plan to get OEM steel front and rear bumpers and color match them too but it will be a while I expect. I going to sell the chrome grill and front and rear bumpers soon to offset the cost of the painted OEM front and rear bumpers. Then to the interior for a few more upgrades and that will be it for a while until I can afford a bed cover of some sort.

How did you go about painting that front bumper cover. I have been throwing this idea around for my truck for a few weeks. I have a white tradesman with the chrome appearance group and that black on the front just looks so out of place.

Did you leave it on to paint it and just tape everything off? What kind of paint? I was looking at using Duplicolor perfect match. How many coats and did you clear coat it? Did you prime it first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I plasti diped my chrome bumpers. Touch up every few yrs or so.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the upper bumper I scuffed it with steel wool, used a degreaser and the first three coats are duplicolor bright white rattle can the last two coats are duplicolor perfect match rattle can. I got a used black grill and did the same to it. I put the chrome one away.

20180612_111910.jpg

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the upper bumper I scuffed it with steel wool, used a degreaser and the first three coats are duplicolor bright white rattle can the last two coats are duplicolor perfect match rattle can. I got a used black grill and did the same to it. I put the chrome one away.

View attachment 130741

I think I am going to keep the chrome grill on as I dont mind chrome as long as its not over done. That black piece is just so out of place and looks kind of goofy to be honest. Best pic I have at the moment. IMG_1665.jpg

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am going to keep the chrome grill on as I dont mind chrome as long as its not over done. That black piece is just so out of place and looks kind of goofy to be honest. Best pic I have at the moment. View attachment 130746

I agree. Not sure why Mopar thought they were saving much money by not painting the cover but oh well. I'd have just left the chrome bumpers and grill too but I'm going for a stormtrooper kind of look I guess. Tradesman trucks with just the base package and hemi makes for a fun customizable truck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea it does, but I also like the simplicity of them as well. Not as many bells and whistles to break or have glitches. When I bought mine the salesman asked what I wanted and I told him I was probably going to get something used and had three requirements: V8, 4x4, and no chevy. I also said I’d prefer a long bed and crank windows would be fine by me and he told me, “there isn’t a single long bed on this lot, we can’t give them away and if you want crank windows, your going to have to order you a truck special.” This was a dealership with over 30 acres of vehicles. Haha.

But anyway, your truck looks pretty sweet. The white grill sets it off. I get what your after with the stormtrooper look. I myself like chrome bumpers, just seems normal to me to have chrome bumpers on a vehicle I guess is why.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it does, but I also like the simplicity of them as well. Not as many bells and whistles to break or have glitches. When I bought mine the salesman asked what I wanted and I told him I was probably going to get something used and had three requirements: V8, 4x4, and no chevy. I also said I’d prefer a long bed and crank windows would be fine by me and he told me, “there isn’t a single long bed on this lot, we can’t give them away and if you want crank windows, your going to have to order you a truck special.” This was a dealership with over 30 acres of vehicles. Haha.

But anyway, your truck looks pretty sweet. The white grill sets it off. I get what your after with the stormtrooper look. I myself like chrome bumpers, just seems normal to me to have chrome bumpers on a vehicle I guess is why.

I think it is the only chrome left on the truck, Im not in any hurry to go black or white on them anyway. The dang painted ones are almost as or more expensive than the chromes!