Rear Step Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Npd9769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I took my 19 Laramie Longhorn to a dealer for the first oil change. While there, the Service Writer advised me of two more recalls on my truck. I knew of the recall for the back up camera but she said there was another pending one for the rear step. I asked her what the problem was with that and she stated she wasn't sure but as of now there was no fix but I should receive a notice in the mail soon. Has anyone else heard of this?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I took my 19 Laramie Longhorn to a dealer for the first oil change. While there, the Service Writer advised me of two more recalls on my truck. I knew of the recall for the back up camera but she said there was another pending one for the rear step. I asked her what the problem was with that and she stated she wasn't sure but as of now there was no fix but I should receive a notice in the mail soon. Has anyone else heard of this?
Hmmm. Hope there is a recall. I have a step too. The one on my truck is verrry hard to deploy then it snaps back with a vengeance sounding like a gunshot when it hits the stop. I didn’t order it, it just happened to be on the truck. I don’t use it at all because of how it works.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never knew that rear steps were a factory option on the Ram's. Learn something new everyday.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Never knew that rear steps were a factory option on the Ram's. Learn something new everyday.
For $195.00 you too could have had a chunk of factory installed scrap iron. Which apparently doubles as a toe smasher. 8B3613C9-2109-4389-89AB-C95240AFF5BA.jpeg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's great (NOT). I just installed one on my Laramie. It won't be covered by the recall because it didn't come with the truck. I like the step, and use it quite a bit. But it does bother me how hard it slams home.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I asked about getting one for my Power Wagon, I was told it would be available in August. Who knows with the games being played in Michigan.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve not received any notification. Ordered mine with the truck so it’s been on from factory. I love mine. Took me a while to figure out how to deploy it and get it back in, but now it’s like butter, and yes, it snaps back in but I like that. No way for it to come out on it’s own. Takes next to no pressure to pull it out and push it in when you do it parallel with the truck.

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with one from factory and it was stolen in railroad parking lot, never used it anyway

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Guys.....

Put your left hip towards the truck bed, use your right foot on the ledge and push it out.

Then use your hands to push it in and control the close.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Yes, I got the step and the recall notice. The recall is for side load durability concerns on the mounting bracket. So far I have no concerns with how it functions.

My step came with the Bed Utility Group with the led bed lighting and spray in bed liner for $695, which is very reasonable. I use my step a few times a week and it has been flawless. I love it, especially for how high the back end of these trucks are.

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I got the step and the recall notice. The recall is for side load durability concerns on the mounting bracket. So far I have no concerns with how it functions.

My step came with the Bed Utility Group with the led bed lighting and spray in bed liner for $695, which is very reasonable. I use my step a few times a week and it has been flawless. I love it, especially for how high the back end of these trucks are.

Got mine with that package as well. Haven't seen anything for a recall come my way.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Got mine with that package as well. Haven't seen anything for a recall come my way.
Maybe the 1500 uses a different mount. Mine came in the mail...twice since I've had the truck in the last 5 months.

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 2500 tradesman had one on it from the factory, but was removed at dealership just prior to me buying the truck due to the recall. I never even got to use or even see it, but I paid for it.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 2019 2500 tradesman had one on it from the factory, but was removed at dealership just prior to me buying the truck due to the recall. I never even got to use or even see it, but I paid for it.

Same here. Dealer was "forced" to remove mine before I could pick up the truck. Sure hope they come up with a replacement soon. It would come in very handy!