Rear window Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Ellis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good afternoon. I’ve seen a lot of posts about the 5th gen having issues with water leaking in through the third brake light and or back window. Has anyone had that issue with their Power Wagon

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has been good so far but I have seen several reports of this which is why I’ve been keeping a close eye on the the rear window and the cab lights also. I also made sure I was very careful and inspected the seal when I removed my 3rd brake light to install LED cargo lamp bulbs.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the is an underlying issue on the non power wagon’s, it will be the same with the power wagon too...its essentially the same truck in that aspect.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought this is a larger issue on the 5th gen 1500s? All HDs are currently of the 4th gen cab (regardless of what FCA says). Issues on 2019+ 1500s wouldn't translate. Issues on 2018 and older 1500s/2500s will.

OA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the info Omar. Just wasn’t sure if the issue had been seen in the 19-20 Power wagon.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
even if it is on the new trucks just take $10 to home depot and get weather striping. its easy fix unless the person is incompetant of using a screwdriver

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, had it happen on two gen 4 1500's. I think their sealing method is weak. I used some masking tape and black RTV, works great. No evidence of leakage on the PW. Yet.

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dang it...!! I'm disappointed to read about this ongoing problem. I had a hell of a time with my 2007 RAM leaking sliding back window. I swore I'd never have another truck with one. Now of course 14 years later, here I am with a 2020 PW with a damn sliding window. It seems that the track fills with water and if the little drain holes in the track are clogged, the wells under the rear seats catch the overflow. Same stupid problem many years later.

Eforce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
even if it is on the new trucks just take $10 to home depot and get weather striping. its easy fix unless the person is incompetant of using a screwdriver
That wont fix it if the Window Surround assembly is Cracked.

Eforce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my post was regarding the 3rd brake light
Well, That is one of the possible causes on this thread.
There was another guy on a FB thread that insisted that the Brake light was the only cause,and that the Home depot cure would fix it.
Mine wound up being the Window Surround.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Have read a number of anecdotal accounts of water entry at the CHMSL assy, but rarely the glass. I have a Tradesman PW, so it's one piece rear glass. MY CHMSL did fill with water somehow, but as far as I can tell it did not enter into cabin. I'm pretty sure it would have traveled into rear cabin area unless there is drain somewhere I haven't found. Replaced the assy and it been water/moisture free thus far.

4X4BOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last yr my '19' PW 3rd light leaked, really didn't notice if it leaked inside the cab...just noticed the Cargo Camera was under water.
Well, it has done it again...this time leaking inside the Cab (was it shoddy work or poor seal or both).
I'm outside the 3yr/36k mile warranty.
None the less, they are fixing it under warranty but not willing to remove the headliner and stationary rear seat back to clean and disinfect so it doesn't turn into mold or have that mildew smell.
Had to open a Case with FCA...pretty sure I'll WIN.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had a 2015 that started to leak around the third brake light. I took some black RTV silicone and went around the light and blended it so it look factory. Never had another leak and was a simple fix better than factory.

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i bought my 12' Ram I put clear silicone around the 3rd brake light, did the same on my 2021 PW. I have the power slider on my Tradesman PW, its been replaced once due to a wind storm. doesn't seem to leak