Recharge Air Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sheriff Justice
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks for the response. I’m not going to touch it. Not trying to waste money, was thinking more of a preventive maintenance. In the past I use to recharge my a/c’s by adding a little bit of refrigerant because they also contain additives, but never mind. “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it”.

Take care all!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First of all it's not freon, freon was banned years ago. It's refrigerant.
"Freon" is actually a trade name much like "Xerox" is refered to as photocopy and not specific to any one banned refrigerant.
There is a "Freon 134a" which is a Hydrofluorocarbons (HFC) refrigerant made by The Chemours Company which is a spin off from DuPont who originally developed the refrigerant with General Motors. DuPont originally sold 134a under the name of Suva
The 1234YF refrigerant is a Hydrofluoroolefins (HFO) categorized as having zero ozone depletion potential (ODP) and low global warming potential (GWP). The banned refrigerants are Chloroflurocarbons (CFC) and Hydrochloroflurocarbons. (HCFC). Eventually even HFCs will start to be phased out unless you live in California because they're starting to cram that down your throats now.

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings,
Hope all is well with you & family. Anybody recharge the A/C other than a Ram dealer? I own a 2014 and my mechanic told me Friday he can’t recharge the A/C because Ram takes a special tool (?) and he does not carry it. My A/C is working fine / cold, just wanted to recharge it as routine maintenance. I use it often.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
I've never heard this done as any routine maintenance. The AC is a closed system so nothing should ever escape it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've never heard this done as any routine maintenance. The AC is a closed system so nothing should ever escape it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Does it not have high/low pressure valves like other systems? I assume thats what the 2 spots with the grey caps are, which can leak. (From experience on 2 other vehicles)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sheriff Justice
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
What are you hoping to gain by getting it recharged? If your system is full, they’re going to evacuate what’s in your system then recharge it with the same refrigerant that was evacuated.

Anytime an A/C system is evacuated the refrigerant is stored in the source tank to be reused. You won’t be getting new refrigerant if that’s what you’re after.

If you have access to a probe thermometer. Measure the outlet temperature of the air with the system on max A/C with recirc on. Depending on ambient temp if you measure around 50F it’s working normally and there will be nothing to be gained by a recharge.

Thank you @Tach_tech . Really explains the process. My A/C is working fine. I dropped my truck off Friday for an oil & filter change and I was adding a few misc items to give business / help out the shop + mechanics. I even had them change the air filter even though that is something I always do myself. Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you @Tach_tech . Really explains the process. My A/C is working fine. I dropped my truck off Friday for an oil & filter change and I was adding a few misc items to give business / help out the shop + mechanics. I even had them change the air filter even though that is something I always do myself. Thanks!

If you ever do need A/C work Terry,W&B across the street from the A&W on Edmonton Trail is all set to handle the new stuff in your truck.Dan spent a ****load of money buying everything to do the new style A/C ,and they used my truck to practice on,he's done several of the O-ring replacements since,lol

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its cool, its probably up to spec.

Ever since I got my 14 Ram, I noticed that it can't keep up with 134a or R12. Putting a thermocouple to the vents, yes it gets cold but the AC system can't remove enough energy (BTUs?). I have asked multiple newer FCA owners. They all complain that the rear passengers get little to no cooling.

I took mine in under warranty and they said its all up to pressure spec.

You can buy fittings and use your own gauges to check, but freon is going to be costly if you can find it.

If its running and cooling, that's probably the best you can do. Maybe eventually some hacks will come out and make it run better. For example, I used canned air instead of R12. Cheap and ran like a dream.

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is reminiscent of hearing the old timers tell me about selling refrigerant changes because it was 'worn out".
Nothing could be further from the truth, refrigerant doesn't wear out, it leaks out. If your AC is working good enough for you than don't mess with it. Pulling the refrigerant charge to recharge the system can actually reduced the amount of oil in the system. The AC system is a sealed system, leave it that way.
Due to the mild flammability of the 1234yf, the design criteria of the system components are more robust.

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is reminiscent of hearing the old timers tell me about selling refrigerant changes because it was 'worn out".
Nothing could be further from the truth, refrigerant doesn't wear out, it leaks out. If your AC is working good enough for you than don't mess with it. Pulling the refrigerant charge to recharge the system can actually reduced the amount of oil in the system. The AC system is a sealed system, leave it that way.
Due to the mild flammability of the 1234yf, the design criteria of the system components are more robust.
Oops. Lol. What he said. If your a/c is low you have a leak. If it’s not leave it alone.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This thread just reminded me. I'm still running Winter air in my tires. I need to switch over to the summer air now. Such a pain having to do all 6 tires plus the spare.
Thanks guys! ;)
While you're at it use nitrogen but make sure you use summer nitrogen and not leftover winter nitrogen.:rolleyes:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
"Freon" is actually a trade name much like "Xerox" is refered to as photocopy and not specific to any one banned refrigerant.
There is a "Freon 134a" which is a Hydrofluorocarbons (HFC) refrigerant made by The Chemours Company which is a spin off from DuPont who originally developed the refrigerant with General Motors. DuPont originally sold 134a under the name of Suva
The 1234YF refrigerant is a Hydrofluoroolefins (HFO) categorized as having zero ozone depletion potential (ODP) and low global warming potential (GWP). The banned refrigerants are Chloroflurocarbons (CFC) and Hydrochloroflurocarbons. (HCFC). Eventually even HFCs will start to be phased out unless you live in California because they're starting to cram that down your throats now.
You are litterly the only person I have ever heard call it freon 134a. Every HVAC tech (residential, industrial, age automotive) I know or have ever met, refer to it as refrigerant, be it freon, r12, r134a, or 1234yf.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You are litterly the only person I have ever heard call it freon 134a. Every HVAC tech (residential, industrial, age automotive) I know or have ever met, refer to it as refrigerant, be it freon, r12, r134a, or 1234yf.
you missed the quotation marks, I was referring to the actual name on the cylinder and referenced the "Suva" name when it was sold by DuPont.
The brand/trade name of "Freon" was synonymous with CFC and HCFC refrigerants, 134a was probably the only HFC in the bunch.
Freon_134a_.jpg
I've probably used at least 5 different brand names of more refrigerants than most HVAC service techs have ever come across in the field.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While you're at it use nitrogen but make sure you use summer nitrogen and not leftover winter nitrogen.:rolleyes:
Harbor freight is working on a tire air recovery unit. Save that winter air for later.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

actually it is quite common for a tech to call it freon, as a 38 year retired commercial refrigeration tech you will hear it called different names, refrigerant, freon, gas, etc. as others said, if it is working ok, leave it alone, if low on gas you need to find the leak. I had never heard of 1234YF until buying the Ram. the stuff is very expensive, if I were to have to do a recharge, 134A has similar evaporating temps in the operating range on the PT chart, I would try the less expensive 134A and see how it worked or mayben get a restrictor from one that specs 134A

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had never heard of 1234YF until buying the Ram. the stuff is very expensive, if I were to have to do a recharge, 134A has similar evaporating temps in the operating range on the PT chart, I would try the less expensive 134A and see how it worked or mayben get a restrictor from one that specs 134A
The system uses an expansion valve mounted at the firewall that is replaceable from the outside but not sure if the 134a one would fit or you would even need to. The oil in the system is compatible with 134a even though it's specific for 1234YF. It should be possible for someone with refrigeration experience to charge the system with 134a but amount won't be what's on the sticker and a backyard mechanic would probably overcharge the crap out of the system.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why can't they just put in a sight glass like the old r12 systems had. If the glass was clear then the system was full (assuming the compressor clutch was engaged). If it had bubbles then it was low & you added freon until the bubbles cleared. That system worked just fine.
:cheers:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why can't they just put in a sight glass like the old r12 systems had. If the glass was clear then the system was full (assuming the compressor clutch was engaged). If it had bubbles then it was low & you added freon until the bubbles cleared. That system worked just fine.
With the new refrigerants a bubbling sight glass isn't always an indication of a low charge. The compressors in the 1500 are variable so you may see bubbling as it modulates, if you charge to a full sight glass it will most likely be over charged.
Those old sight glass systems held extra refrigerant that wasn't really needed. If you have an extra ounce of refrigerant in every vehicle rolling off the assembly line, the added cost would be in the millions of dollars.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks crash.

Ive been wondering for a long time.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2012 still blows nice and cold-i wouldnt think of messin with it.