Recorded 68RFE Temps after the TTBV block delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calinb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2016
Engine
3.7 6-cyl, 6.7 Cummins
Here is the Thermal By-Pass Valve (delete block) we are referring to

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...ypass-valve-delete-13-18-67l-ram-cummins.aspx

The video explains the purpose of this delete block!
dieselpowerproducts.com said:
"The 68RFE especially has been plagued with a high failure rate that many attribute to the fact the converter in this transmission never goes into a full lockup,..."

Sounds like a case of two good ideas gone bad (sticky/excessive bypass and less than full lockup). Now I know why my 2016 Cummins Bighorn tranny runs so hot!

Ironically, this seems to me to be a mod that would severely threaten a transmission warranty claim. Might not a dealer / FCA claim a failure occurred because the transmission was running too cold?

I have two years of powertrain warranty remaining and only 23,000 mi. on the pickup (use it for camping, mostly) so I might do the mod, regardless.

Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like a case of two good ideas gone bad (sticky/excessive bypass and less than full lockup). Now I know why my 2016 Cummins Bighorn tranny runs so hot!

Ironically, this seems to me to be a mod that would severely threaten a transmission warranty claim. Might not a dealer / FCA claim a failure occurred because the transmission was running too cold?

I have two years of powertrain warranty remaining and only 23,000 mi. on the pickup (use it for camping, mostly) so I might do the mod, regardless.

Thanks!

you could always save the valve and put if back in case of warranty of you were worried, but no way anyhow, even with the valve that is there now, the transmsion still operates in the cold until warm, it just spends less time in the cold without the valve delete. It still starts at the same exact cold temp with valve or with delete.

calinb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2016
Engine
3.7 6-cyl, 6.7 Cummins
you could always save the valve and put if back in case of warranty of you were worried, but no way anyhow, even with the valve that is there now, the transmsion still operates in the cold until warm, it just spends less time in the cold without the valve delete. It still starts at the same exact cold temp with valve or with delete.
Well...an extreme case of running too cold too much of the time (Fairbanks, AK in the winter?) is probably tough on a transmission too but my guess is this mod is probably a better wager for most of us than the factory bypass valve. I've seen well over 200 degrees F far more times than I can remember!

Yeah--that's what I'll do. I'll keep the valve. Thanks!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If this mod may cause issues we had better call FCA and tell them to go back in time and install a thermal bypass on all the other transmissions in the world ( including other past and current RfE’s) that have never come with one.

Guys,

Case in point. You could get a 1500 with the RFE trans with OR without this OEM installed thermal bypass. So its not even on all current trucks with the RFE.

I think the mod is safe.

If you live in weather cold enough to worry about cold trans temps you will probably want a grill bra and a block heater anyway for other reasons.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll say this .
My 1500 with the 65RFE does not have the Thermal Valve and my temps never go above 135° unless I'm towing heavy or climbing mountains , in fact 4 to 5 months a year here as a typical daily driver to and from work my xsmn temps struggle to get up to 100° . This morning at 54° outside after a 25 min drive to work my xsmn temp was 96° .

I changed my factory fluid at 47k and it looked BRAND NEW !
I've heard others with the valve say their xsmn oil looked very dark and smelled burnt at similar mileage .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well...an extreme case of running too cold too much of the time (Fairbanks, AK in the winter?) is probably tough on a transmission too but my guess is this mod is probably a better wager for most of us than the factory bypass valve. I've seen well over 200 degrees F far more times than I can remember!

Get the cold weather cover for an Ecodiesel if you're worried about it getting too cold...

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I can only speak for myself here: I would much rather have to deal with much cooler Transmission temps - then (Proven) damaging - Higher transmission fluid temps.

While towing med/heavy loads for long distances!
I totally understand the warranty concerns - I also understand with this mod I lesson the chances of having to deal with a warranty issue!

This mod might not be for every RFE owner!
For those who tow med/heavy - it might be something to consider.

I feel with common sense reasoning: I have only increased the longevity of my 68RFE with the addition of this mod as well as switching to a higher quality true synthetic ATF & a much more efficient synthetic media spin-on filter.
Also doing MUCH shorter OCI then recommended is a huge plus!

The ATF will never truly be stressed to its Max! (Temps)
That is one of the most important facts. (Longer fluid life/Better quality protection)

MOST might not feel the same as I (Which is perfectly ok with me) - I tend to think/wonder way far outside the Tiny FCA box. (Which has never created me issues) may I say! :favorites37:

Ok: :Rant: Everyone have a SAFE/Great Tuesday.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can only speak for myself here: I would much rather have to deal with much cooler Transmission temps - then (Proven) damaging - Higher transmission fluid temps.

While towing med/heavy loads for long distances!
I totally understand the warranty concerns - I also understand with this mod I lesson the chances of having to deal with a warranty issue!

This mod might not be for every RFE owner!
For those who tow med/heavy - it might be something to consider.

I feel with common sense reasoning: I have only increased the longevity of my 68RFE with the addition of this mod as well as switching to a higher quality true synthetic ATF & a much more efficient synthetic media spin-on filter.
Also doing MUCH shorter OCI then recommended is a huge plus!

The ATF will never truly be stressed to its Max! (Temps)
That is one of the most important facts. (Longer fluid life/Better quality protection)

MOST might not feel the same a I (Which is perfectly ok with me) - I tend to think/wonder way far outside the Tiny FCA box. (Which has never created me issues) may I say! :favorites37:

Ok: :Rant: Everyone have a SAFE/Great Tuesday.

OHHHH boy you did it now @SyN, you’re thinking logically and with common sense[emoji106]

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:banghead: I meant to include the 66RFE as well!

Loaded temps (Towing) are our main interest - post install, but you are more then welcome to post your unloaded temps as well.
(During all times throughout the year)

I would also be interested to see if these temps also fluctuate with different brands of ATF+4 being used.
Example: RL C+ / Amsoil / Schaeffers All-Trans / Ravenol / or just your regular ATF+4.

When high ATF+4 Temps are one of the main causes of future transmission issues / failures - this simple / inexpensive mod was a no brainer.

i use royal purple max atf and it dropped my temps a lot. i have 545rfe, trinity2 tuner fans set at 190
degrees and have clutch fan delete and added v6 fan. my trans oil stays 135 to 140 around town maybe 150 on longer highway trips

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have 66RFE have not towed yet. 52 outside temp. my trans only gets to 116 so far. before the delete it ran 179 to 183 empty. I was worried about warranty also. but after thinking about it i dont want dealers touching my truck. so the hell with warrany and fca. my truck my way!

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ripping: You just possibly eliminated one possible warranty visit due to many trips with high ATF temps.

it's something now you won't have to concern yourself with any longer.

Congrats!

Just keeps those filters changed & keep her in fresh ATF & she will repay ya with hopefully a long trouble free life!

Marczing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoormen
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info. It's cool that a delete kit is available now. It looks like that would work on a 1500 with the 65RFE as well. I bypassed the TCV on my '13 1500 with 65rfe a while ago and temps never go over 120* unless I'm towing. And even then they never go over 150*. I did install an aux trans cooler though. Here's the OEM bypass on my truck.....

View media item 27425

You have spark my interest, with living in BC we have lots of hills, I would love to do this mod could you provide me with more info thanks.

Marco

Last edited:

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You have spark my interest, with living in BC we have lots of hills, I would love to do this mod could you provide me with more info thanks.

Marco

All I did was remove the TBV and run lines to the aux cooler I installed. It runs in series with the OEM cooler in the radiator. It's nothing high-tech :)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
DAMN! That’s a lotta $$$ for a piece of brass!

Why couldn’t 2 unions just be used instead of this?

The bypass is anodized aluminum. LOOKS like brass. But its not.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So we thought of that, but the way the lines are, it may be more difficult than possible. I also am not worried about spending $100 to make my life easy.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

BINGO!

I did mine when i got home from work. Got done as the wife and kid pulled in the drive. Easy peezy !

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine

Ha too funny. My old 2010 with the 545RFE actually had the trans fluid gel during one of our interior cold snaps. The solution..... thermal bypass valve. Dealership told me that the bypass was only installed on trucks shipped to Canada and no one thought of AK. Now it appears they're standard across all transmissions - good or bad.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
66rfe transmission temp report after the ATS Thermal bypass install:
Details of the my install here, Post # 19:https://www.ramforum.com/threads/transmission-service-66rfe.143721/page-2

Temps before, install, unloaded driving , 174 degrees, air temp didn't matter much.
Temps extended idling in 108 degree outside air, 200 degrees.
Temps after Install, unloaded driving any outside temp above 90, between 150 -160 degrees.
TOWING, 4500 LB BOAT, Yesterday 113 degrees air temp tow haul on, hilly, 60 -70 mph
160 degrees in the flats, passing and up hill 165- 168.
Definitively keeps the temps lower.
If you start at lower temps it takes longer to reach the upper end. I'm sure that during extreme towing situation's it might go higher, but the less time it spends at the upper range the better. Overall worth the $100 buck price and piece of mind.