regretting not getting a 5.7l Hemi 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
No regrets here on the engine (I do have 4x4 though). The only thing I do want to change though is the gearing, once the powertrain warranty runs out. I'll likely bump the ratio to 3.55 or maybe 3.92 ( only have 3.21 now)

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like the title says, regret not getting that truck, instead, I opted for the 3.6l 4x2 mostly because of the fuel economy, 470+ miles to the tank- Idiot, this one is.

No point in regretting it man, it's a nice truck. I was always the guy that wanted the 4x4 V8 in my younger years. I live in south Texas. I don't hunt. I don't off-road. Why do I need a 4x4? Why do I need a V8? I haven't hauled or towed anything in over ten years and I don't race or go to the drag strip. I did go from a V6 quad cab to the V8 crew cab about three years ago because of the deal I got. Is the V8 fun to drive? Sure. But I'm lucky to get 370 miles a tank now because of stop and go traffic after work everyday. If I could drop the V6 from my last truck into this one I would do it in a heart beat. Don't beat yourself up man.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Clearly you haven't been in Arizona long enough for monsoon season or drive north of Payson or Prescott.

I've been in AZ long enough for monsoon season and 16" of snow last February from a strange storm (it totally melted in 2 days). Neither of those things felt me needing a 4x4. I love my 3.6 4x2 that gets over 500 miles a tank full. NOTHING is close to anything up here in the AZ desert. I'll take the great mpg's when I have to drive 3 hrs to Phoenix / 2 hrs to Vegas for real shopping or the Dr.

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
LOL - the Canadian guys are all over it being a 4x2. Not really sure how advantageous a 4x4 is in Tuscon, which averages 0 inches of snow a year.

Dumb, dumb Canadians.
So, now that I've said that, I came here to also say, I have rarely used the 4x4 in my truck but glad to have it. Having said that, I think the way you drive is what matters and the tires you have on the truck.

that is all...

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Dumb, dumb Canadians.
So, now that I've said that, I came here to also say, I have rarely used the 4x4 in my truck but glad to have it. Having said that, I think the way you drive is what matters and the tires you have on the truck.

that is all...

My sincere apologies if I came off as insulting, that wasn't my intention at all. I was trying to highlight the difference in weather patterns.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
considering what a hit you are going to take on depreciation (if you bought new), do you tow heavy loads, go off road or snowy weather? if answer is no, the truck you have should be fine for your use, just my opinion.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clearly you haven't been in Arizona long enough for monsoon season or drive north of Payson or Prescott.

This. Prescott... lived on a hill in Prescott, the times it did decide to snow I would have to chain up to get home. Yes Y’all, it snows in AZ!

Don’t really NEED 4c4 but it can be useful from time to tome

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
What you don't say is why you regret it and what you feel you're missing out on with a 4x2 v6. For me that is all the truck I needed and am very happy with it. If TCO (total cost of ownership) is paramount then I think you made a good decision and should enjoy it!

Last edited:

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
This. Prescott... lived on a hill in Prescott, the times it did decide to snow I would have to chain up to get home. Yes Y’all, it snows in AZ!

Don’t really NEED 4c4 but it can be useful from time to tome

My cousins live in Prescott nice area. To me the best use of 4x4 in AZ would be to off road in the desert that can be real fun! I also think good tires go a long way on a 4x2 which is what I got the Falken Wildpeak AT3's that I learned about here on the forum. Great AT tire for the price and make me feel much more confident when I know more traction is going to be required.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I love my 6 cylinder great mileage
I will be looking for another 6 but with a lot more options

What options do you feel you're missing? I started with an Express and have added just about every option you can think of and now I am pretty much good to go lol! Moding may not be your thing but with the help of this forum I have been able to transform my truck into exactly what I wanted and for a lot less then buying it from the factory.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove a new pentastar 4x2 yeah it's a good motor get better gas mileage but after 20 or so miles I brought it back. Your regret will only get worse my man. I went clear back to an 11 but got the Big Horn well equipped with a 5.7 that sounds better and runs better than my 14 AND a 4x4. The minute I seen it I knew it was me. Go get a Hemi 4 by and be done with it.

bighorn11t.JPG

bighorn11x.JPG

bighorn11u.JPG

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
I've been in AZ long enough for monsoon season and 16" of snow last February from a strange storm (it totally melted in 2 days). Neither of those things felt me needing a 4x4. I love my 3.6 4x2 that gets over 500 miles a tank full. NOTHING is close to anything up here in the AZ desert. I'll take the great mpg's when I have to drive 3 hrs to Phoenix / 2 hrs to Vegas for real shopping or the Dr.

I had just moved here 2 months prior to that freak snow storm that was last year of feb 22- having come from washington state, and watching all the people here freak out was funny though

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
What options do you feel you're missing? I started with an Express and have added just about every option you can think of and now I am pretty much good to go lol! Moding may not be your thing but with the help of this forum I have been able to transform my truck into exactly what I wanted and for a lot less then buying it from the factory.

Looking to add remote start, and the 8.4” radio console, but according to the dealership it would be best to go after market, since for some reason my truck can take the remote start but not the keyless entry part( dont ask me, havent had a truck since 2012) and possibly change out the center front seat for the big horn console

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
considering what a hit you are going to take on depreciation (if you bought new), do you tow heavy loads, go off road or snowy weather? if answer is no, the truck you have should be fine for your use, just my opinion.

Heaviest thing I may be towing, would be a project car once i get a house with a garage

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
Nobody has mentioned the sound of the v8. It puts a smile every time I lay on the skinny pedal when merging in the hwy.

I do miss that sound, but prefer the gas mileage, going to phoenix and back on one tank is nice

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@Michael Snyder the dealers just don't do mods but you can add everything you mentioned and more. All the dealers in Mohave County told me "can't be done " and then I found the forum and M2 Mods a vendor here that makes the best wiring harnesses on the planet. I added everything you mentioned and more minus the console with no problems. Enjoy it and make it what you want, you've come to the right place.

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
@Michael Snyder the dealers just don't do mods but you can add everything you mentioned and more. All the dealers in Mohave County told me "can't be done " and then I found the forum and M2 Mods a vendor here that makes the best wiring harnesses on the planet. I added everything you mentioned and more minus the console with no problems. Enjoy it and make it what you want, you've come to the right place.

Talked to them the other day, I am gonna have to do piece by piece each payday and save up for the 8.4 radio(biggest purchase of teh interior mods i want to do)

OP
OP
Michael Snyder

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
What you don't say is why you regret it and what you feel you missing out on with a 4x2 v6. For me that is all the truck I needed and am very happy with it. If TCO (total cost of ownership) is paramount then I think you made a good decision and should enjoy it!

I originally had the mindset of getting the base model so I can do upgrades myself down the road, but FCA, apparently doesn't like that since they make everything so damn difficult to do