Remote start key fob question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razorback22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie and the window sticker says it has remote start capability but the key fob doesn't have the X2 button. Only unlock/lock and panic. Is there a way to use this key fob for remote start or will have to purchase a fob with the button?

Thanks

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 Laramie (so it's a 4th Gen) window sticker says
"Remote Start System"

Might want to try this search using your VIN, letters all in CAPS...

EDIT: it also says "REMOTE START SYSTEM" on the equipment listing VIA the VIN search.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2014 Laramie (so it's a 4th Gen) window sticker says
"Remote Start System"

Might want to try this search using your VIN, letters all in CAPS...

EDIT: it also says "REMOTE START SYSTEM" on the equipment listing VIA the VIN search.
My wife's new Durango simply says on the sticker, "Remote Start System". Not "Capable", not "Available", just "Remote Start System" and it has it along with the x2 button.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My wife's new Durango simply says on the sticker, "Remote Start System". Not "Capable", not "Available", just "Remote Start System" and it has it along with the x2 button.

Yep, mine too. Same wording, same remote. Sounds like that hasn't changed between 4th gen and 5th Gen.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chances are you need a resistor in the #11 pin and a way to tell the truck you have remote start

Dollars to donuts, the button is hiding in the keyfob, but the contact is missing from the inlay

OP
OP
R

Razorback22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your replies. It does say Remote Start System not capability on the window sticker so my description was wrong. So perhaps just a new FOB with the X2 and programming will make it operate?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I added the remote start to my 2017 RAM 1500 Express and the MOPAR "kit" that I purchased had two key fobs and the hood latch that has the "electric plug sensor" that plugs into the existing wire harness at the hood latch(that is for/cancels out remote start if the hood is open).

So, after installing the new hood latch, I took my truck to my local RAM dealer to have my truck "flashed", or whatever, for the remote start to function.

I'm wondering if the 2017 and newer RAM "lower trim level" trucks that do not have the remote start feature come ready for "plug and play" add ons.

Apparently mine did.

hershey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a lost fob on my '16 Grand Cherokee...end of story, bought a fob online and had to find a capable locksmith to activate it..to save $$ from the dealer...ended up the fob I bought didn't work and got one from the locksmith, without the remote start button ...bottom line should have just gone to the dealer...would have been cheaper...

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All fobs have all of the functions (same circuit board), but not the buttons to activate them. Buy the cheapest off-brand fob with a Remote Start button, pop them both open, then swap the rubber button part in to your factory fob. You now have the fob functionality, and if your truck has the necessary equipment installed (RF Module, Hood Latch Sensor), you can activate Remote Start with AlphaOBD (video link below)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All fobs have all of the functions (same circuit board), but not the buttons to activate them. Buy the cheapest off-brand fob with a Remote Start button, pop them both open, then swap the rubber button part in to your factory fob. You now have the fob functionality, and if your truck has the necessary equipment installed (RF Module, Hood Latch Sensor), you can activate Remote Start with AlphaOBD (video link below)

OP has a 2022 Ram, and we’re in the 5th gen Ram section. 5th gen Ram fobs do not all have the same circuit board, or button layouts, and if the fob doesn’t have the remote start buttons, it does not have the correct circuit board for remote start. It requires a different fob to program remote start.

DMcRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
My 2018 2500 diesel has remote start but no mention of it in the paperwork. By accident I found how to make it work. I pushed the lock button multiple times when trying to scare a grand kid in front of the parked truck and it started! If I push the 'lock doors' button three times in s a row, it will start. Try it . It might just work. BTW. it does not have an aftermarket remote start kit.IMG_0249.jpg remote start kit installed.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2018 2500 diesel has remote start but no mention of it in the paperwork. By accident I found how to make it work. I pushed the lock button multiple times when trying to scare a grand kid in front of the parked truck and it started! If I push the 'lock doors' button three times in s a row, it will start. Try it . It might just work. BTW. it does not have an aftermarket remote start kit.View attachment 543607 remote start kit installed.
Press lock button 3x is not a factory remote start. That’s 100% an aftermarket kit.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not what the dealer said, but who am I to argue about a good thing.

I'm happy for you that you discovered the remote start unexpectedly but when have you known a dealership to be both honest and knowledgeable?

That's right up there with the common sense dilution. :cool:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my Monrony, far left column under Standard Equipment, FUNCTIONAL SAFETY FEATURES, it lists Remote-Start System.

The remote start was factory supplied in my truck and anytime I've seen it entered that way the vehicle had factory installed remote start. Maybe there's a difference for 4th gens, or maybe the incorrect FOB?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112538 miles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On my Monrony, far left column under Standard Equipment, FUNCTIONAL SAFETY FEATURES, it lists Remote-Start System.

The remote start was factory supplied in my truck and anytime I've seen it entered that way the vehicle had factory installed remote start. Maybe there's a difference for 4th gens, or maybe the incorrect FOB?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112538 miles.
I'm thinking they gave him the wrong fob.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking they gave him the wrong fob.

Press lock button 3x is not a factory remote start. That’s 100% an aftermarket kit.

Jimmy sounds convinced the truck has an aftermarket remote start system, it certainly doesn't sound like any OEM system that I've heard of.

Maybe, he had the OEM FOB and not the aftermarket remote starter FOB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith