Removing a soaked in oil stain from concrete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
As some one who cleans and finishes garage floors on a regular basis and stains oil or other wise a liberal pour of zilonal might has spelled that wrong but let it sit a few mins then whipe up with a cloth

MarkH13

Reaction score
Cat litter and a brick or piece of wood. Grind the cat litter in and sweep it up a few days later

DCunited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil eater overnight stain remover. Get it on amazon. It will take 2-3 times for the enzymes to eat it all. I have had huge success with many different car oils, vegetable oil and citronella oil on my patio. It cleaned a huge spill in a recently poured concrete garage and after the third time you could not spot the spill. A bottle goes a long way. Once dry just sweep it up with a stiff bristle brush and wash with soap and water.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i worked as a mechanic for years on concrete floors so oil and gas would end up on the floor ! what i used was kitty litter cover the oil spot leave it over night use a stiff shop broom sweep it around and sweep it up then put a lil more down walk on it with a twisting motion all around the stain then sweep it up too it will be gone! thats what i do and it does work and it is cheap and safe !
Came here to say this. Cat litter and let it sit for a few days then sweep it up and repeat

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use clean mineral spirits, let soak awhile and use a scrub brush for thicker stains...then use clay floor dry over the wet spot, let sit and give it time to soak up oil,grind in clay. scoop up mess !! been using this process for 45 years as a Diesel mechanic...... Mineral spirits pulls the oil out of the concrete, oil dry absorbs the rest .

faross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
I use clean mineral spirits, let soak awhile and use a scrub brush for thicker stains...then use clay floor dry over the wet spot, let sit and give it time to soak up oil,grind in clay. scoop up mess !! been using this process for 45 years as a Diesel mechanic...... Mineral spirits pulls the oil out of the concrete, oil dry absorbs the rest .
If you use mineral spirits it will leave a residue ziline is the best

Billf6531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0 V6
i worked as a mechanic for years on concrete floors so oil and gas would end up on the floor ! what i used was kitty litter cover the oil spot leave it over night use a stiff shop broom sweep it around and sweep it up then put a lil more down walk on it with a twisting motion all around the stain then sweep it up too it will be gone! thats what i do and it does work and it is cheap and safe !
+1 on this method. Sprinkle kitty litter (the clay type stuff) on the mess, rub it in while wearing a old leather glove, sweep up the debris the next morning. Works every time, and CHEAP.

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was away when some used motor oil was spilled and soaked into my concrete garage floor.

The net has unending suggestions and spendy products for removal. I have been thru this process a while ago, tried quite a few, not really having really good results with any of the suggestions-DIY or paid for stuff-no luck. Here I am again.

Any help?
Go to Amazon and get a bottle of pull it out.

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is my Suggestion as well. If not, sand will do the job as well.

OP
OP
shrubs

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cannot pull the $ trgger on any of the products that are fairly expensive.

Not seeing any STain before and after pics from the spendy products websites. That would be reassuring to get my money. They all use the word oil but never the word stain.
I have never seen the words used motor oil stain.

Right now trying a cocktail of Dawn and some Purple power.
Probably throw on some kitty litter after awhile.

Thanks for the suggestions y'all.

JAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was away when some used motor oil was spilled and soaked into my concrete garage floor.

The net has unending suggestions and spendy products for removal. I have been thru this process a while ago, tried quite a few, not really having really good results with any of the suggestions-DIY or paid for stuff-no luck. Here I am again.

Any help?
I've had good luck pouring Dawn blue dish soap on the spot, let it soak over night and wash off with garden hose and/or pressure washer

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I clean concrete prior to installing colors I use a 4000 psi pressure washer and a cleaning solution supplied by Smith’s Paints. Don’t recall the name but it’s on their website.

Roadkingwes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Muriatic acid, works great, brick layers have been using it for years, just apply, brush and rinse it off, stain gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
lots of gasoline, scrub hard with steel-wire brush, soak up oil with rag, squeeze into bucket, repeat

This works super well for me in the driveway. Not sure I'd do it in the garage if there was a water heater or other flame source there. YMMV

OP
OP
shrubs

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't let this go....My Dawn and Purple Power cocktail is working.

I don't think it's the brand names but enzymes and soaking in-just like the used motor oil did.

So on this update I can offer no "magic"..... just think in terms of enzymes and soaking in the stain/concrete.

Obviously go after the spill ASAP. Then hit it with enzyme cleaning. I think this process will work for the oil stains near my grill.

Are we Mr. Wizard for oil stained concrete or what?

Asphalt-IDK.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know I’m late to the game here, and you’ve found a solution. But I have used Pour-n-restore with success on my garage floor and concrete driveway.

Pour-n-restore

Good Luck! Happy truckin’

OP
OP
shrubs

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The video is good-company is willing to say the word stain and show some before and afters.:cheers:

Hopefully someone can benefit and post for us to see results.

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i worked as a mechanic for years on concrete floors so oil and gas would end up on the floor ! what i used was kitty litter cover the oil spot leave it over night use a stiff shop broom sweep it around and sweep it up then put a lil more down walk on it with a twisting motion all around the stain then sweep it up too it will be gone! that's what I do and it does work and it is cheap and safe !
I agree with the kitty litter. Generic if you can find it, if not, get the cheapest brand you can find per pound. I don't leave it overnight, I grind it in, sweep it up, that usually gets 99%. Then I will grind a bit more in, and it's clean. Works great. I always have a bag laying around in case of a spill. If your stain has set for a long time, a bit of any type of solvent (gas, carb cleaner, etc) to loosen it up before kitty litter will make it easier.