Removing IOD Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Any suggestions on how to remove / replace this IOD fuse? I want to avoid breaking the plastic housing surrounding it and the tabs holding it in place. Any prying I do feels like it's going to break something.

I can pull the whole housing up about 1/4 inch and it unseats the fuse but the entire housing is still held in place. Should I then pry the black tab in order to remove the entire white plastic housing?

View media item 30940

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So then i called my high school shop teacher and told him what happend, and what wasn't working, and what i did, and in a 5 minute phone call, he fixed what i was trying to fix for 4-5 hours now.
He simply said to check the I.O.D fuse in the black carrier, and he also told me how to get it out, and sure enough it was blown. Then he also told me that it was called the ignition off drain fuse. and thats when it made sence why it blew when the terminals were crossed.
I replaced the fuse, and everything worked again.

To open the carrier you have to pull it out about 1/4" and it wont pull out any farther. Now you take a small screwdriver, or a knife, and pry the tabs on the right side of the carrier up, and the top will open up, and you can pull the fuse out.
When replacing the IOD fuse, you'll want to pull up the casing until it won't pull up anymore. Don't force it. Then take a small screwdriver and pry open the top part of the casing. Once open, remove the fuse and replace it with a new one. Make sure not to get the "low profile" fuses. The relays won't be long enough to plug in the way they need to.
Once replaced, put the small plastic casing back on, push the larger plastic casing back into its regular position and that should be it.
Everything was functioning after I replaced the IOD fuse.

ALL I could find on a search

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3) I crossed my fingers that the IOD fuse was the cause, as I really didn't want to take it to the shop and pay big bucks. The yellow 20-amp IOD fuse is in the fuse box (power distribution center) under the hood and just behind the air filter housing. It stands out because it is encased in a protective clip that allows you to pull it up to break the circuit, but leave it in place for transport and not get lost. The challenge is getting it out of that clip. To make it a bit easier to access, I removed the housing top to the air filter, which is simple (disengage the clips on the left side and the right front side, and then the screw holding the retaining ring on the rubber hose on the back left side).

4) I found that taking a very small, thin screwdriver that I use for glasses screws worked well. You'll see a small rectangle opening in the top (where you'll be able to read the "20" on the fuse). I think a small curved tip screwdriver would work, too. Take the tip of your screwdriver and insert it in the opening, with the pressure up under the left side of the opening (the top is actually hinged, with the left side being where it clips down in place and the plastic hinges on the right). It takes a little effort, and I used my left hand to try and help unclip the left side of the clip while I applied the out/lifting pressure with the screwdriver. After a while I got it, and the top opened up to allow access to the fuse.

5) Took out the fuse, tested it--sure enough, it was bad. Popped in a new yellow 20 amp mini fuse, closed the top of the clip, reinserted the fuse into the fuse box by gently pushing down, and then checked things in the car. Voila! I had everything restored. 1st.gif Yeah, baby! That was probably $100+ saved and it only cost me some time and one little fuse.

DISREGARD the fuse size and such, just tells how to get it out from the clip.

OP
OP
G

gmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you. I had seen these earlier but it seemed by the description that they had a slightly different IOD and housing (one with a hinged top). But maybe with two very small screwdrivers I can depress those white tabs and lift it out at the same time.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
a bit if INFO:

What is the IOD fuse on a Dodge Ram?
Ignition Off Draw

This IOD or "Ignition Off Draw" fuse is used during assembly line work, and when vehicles are in storage on dealer lots to prevent battery going dead. It is recommended if vehicle sits unused for a period of time, say for more than 10 days or so, that you pull it to shut off parasitic drain to the battery.

If your Power Windows, Radio, Power Mirrors & many other things stop working

It could be your IOD fuse is bad

Unfortunately i could not find & video that shows testing & removal of a Ram IOD fuse

I did see something that looked like you pull up a bit on the outer shell & then you can get to the fuse, but that video did not show or explain the important parts

OP
OP
G

gmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately still no luck. Was able to push back the white tabs with two very small screwdrivers, but can't simultaneously grab the sides of the fuse and lift it up and out.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Those tabs do hold in the actual fuse - you have to unhinge the white container and once thats out you depress the tabs to get the fuse out - that one wasn't the problem after all - there's another iod fuse - not #26 that I've seen in other posts - at any rate got rid of the nofuse error for now -

OP
OP
G

gmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Which fuse did you have to replace to get rid of your nofuse error?

My truck won't start. Just makes a loud clicking noise and 'nofuse' message appears and the 'electronic throttle control' icon lights up as well.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As i mentioned above, i copied that off of a Jeep forum

You might look for any other fuses, on the firewall in back of the air filter box

I have never studied that area myself

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately still no luck. Was able to push back the white tabs with two very small screwdrivers, but can't simultaneously grab the sides of the fuse and lift it up and out.

NONO, u PULL UP A little, that disengages the fuse. Then somewhere on that white box/left-right side, there is a small indentation and U put small screw driver in there and PRY up. That top is "hinged" on 1 side. PUll hinged top up, then U can remove fuse. Put in new fuse, then close that lil hinged top down and push down and reset.

THE ABOVE INFO FROM WHAT I HAVE READ, I HAVE NEVA PLAYED WITH THAT FUSE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you, but I think that's referring to a different type of IOD fuse. This one doesn't seem to have any sort of hinged top.