Repair or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EBCohen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E Torque
**Update**
I went to the body shop of my dealer who has done work for me before on my Tacoma's. They didn't think repair was a good idea. Couldn't guarantee that it would look perfect. Suggested a replacement. They gave me an estimate for replacement with moving all the hardware to the new tailgate and they also gave me an estimate for me supplying a new tailgate and swapping hardware.
I found a company on Ebay that sells pre painted tailgates to match with a 30 day guarantee and a 99.9% rating with thousands of sales. Free shipping in both directions for $850.99
With the cost of labor, I am looking at a little over $1100 to replace it. It is an aftermarket tailgate and is aluminum, but who cares, it's just a tailgate.

Not exactly what I had in mind for my first post when I joined up a while back.
Purchased a 1500 Tradesman back in August of last year. Had paint correction/ceramic coating done after purchase.
Last month I inadvertently backed into pillar at a business backing into a parking spot. Was more concerned about getting to close to the vehicle next to me when I hit the pillar.
Did damage to the tailgate just above the latch handle .
Brought it to 2 independent repair shops and both quoted around $1500 for repair. First shop said he didn't have the equipment to work on aluminum but gave a guesstimate for what it would be, second shop seemed more like we can't be bothered price.
Knowing I can get a pre-painted new tailgate for approximately the same price with only having to move over the hardware, which is the better option?
$1500 for the repair seems like a lot for the amount of damage.
I will also go to the body shop of the dealer I bought the truck from as they do good work. I'll get repair vs replace quote from them too.

20240111_153416512_iOS.jpg
20240111_153421424_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For $1500 I'd just live with it. Even if they are mostly just highway daily drivers, both of my trucks get worked in so it's just a matter of time anyway.

If you insist on fixing, its just a matter of whatever the lowest quote ends up being. I would think you could get it repaired for less than what you've been quoted so far, just need to find a shop the has the right equipment/attitude.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In addition to what rzr6-4 said, if you are paying for these repairs out of pocket, make sure the repair shop knows it's not an insurance claim. It can make a significant difference in the quote.

I would avoid going to the second shop you mentioned. The fact that they don't want your business would be enough for me to not give it to them. Now or in the future.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you have a paintless dent repair place, maybe check with them. Not all of them will do all body panels and materials, but that looks like you could get to it from behind by popping out the handle assembly to me.

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I would look into the previously mentioned paint less dent repair. A lady backed into my Jeep's door in a parking lot. The local body shop called one of his friends. He had it fixed in an hour for $160.00. A little different situation than a tailgate and it was about 5 years ago. That's actually an easier fix, no interior to remove, and if you take the latch out before they do the repiar it will cost less.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Some of you have never done body work and it shows lol. Painless might be able to get most of that out but not the creases and cracked paint. That small of a section for formed steel is more rigid than you think. Painless dent repair is not cheap around me but I don't see that coming out 100% and even if it does your looking at touching up the cracked paint to prevent corrosion. I have seen some pretty amazing things fixed by a talented painless guy and I would see what they can do. Your still going to need to address corrosion if you don't fix it as I see at least 7 points of possible rust as it sits now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If Paintless can get the dent out for you, you can get the whole tailgate painted for 3 or 4 hundred up here. Canada is usually higher cost so no idea why they are quoting you 1500 for that job. Just make sure whoever paints it knows how to prime and paint aluminum.

I knew the hoods are aluminum but did not realise the 1500s had Aluminum tailgates. Wonder if the 2500s do too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your still going to need to address corrosion if you don't fix it as I see at least 7 points of possible rust as it sits now.

I knew the hoods are aluminum but did not realise the 1500s had Aluminum tailgates.

My '21 Warlock has an aluminum tailgate.

Novawill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
If you have a paintless dent repair place, maybe check with them. Not all of them will do all body panels and materials, but that looks like you could get to it from behind by popping out the handle assembly to me.
A paintless repair won't work. There is a crease in the aluminum. That can't just be popped out. I would just live with it. But $1500 does sound about right for that repair.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
A paintless repair won't work. There is a crease in the aluminum. That can't just be popped out.

It can be with the right tools and heat. Since the F-150 went all aluminum, it's become more popular. Like I said, not all shops will do all materials or all panels, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Example of a hood crease being taken out with heat:

OP
OP
E

EBCohen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E Torque
Thank you all for your input. I had considered trying paintless repair, but as others have said, there is the crack in the paint that would still need to be addressed. Since the truck is new with only 4000 miles, I opted to replace the tailgate with an aftermarket to save money. I updated my OP.
I look forward to being part of the community. I had been an active participant on the Tacoma forum for many years.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Many Ford truck owners take their dented trucks to body repair shops that work on BMWs
The body shop that i use, has aluminum Ford Trucks in there all the time. Ford Beds are garbage, the sides tear all the time.

I had a tailgate that looked like a Monster Truck ran over it.
I bought a new tailgate & transferred the hardware.

I tried calling some to dismantling yards in san diego county, there must be about 50 of them.
I think many of them have an understanding with LKQ, when a dismantler buys a new damaged vehicle, they call LKQ before any common person gets to see it

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aluminum still corrodes. Look at the hoods of 4th and 5th gens.

I was simply stating the fact that my tailgate is aluminum and have not expressed any opinion on the efficacy of repairs to the subject part.

If it were mine, I'd be open to considering a repair and exploring that opportunity, weighing that against the cost of a replacement option.

Thanks for asking. :cool: