Replaced Water Pump @77K. Unusual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The water pump started leaking on my '14 after a recent 1500 mile trip. So the water pump and thermostat were replaced. (Flushed the system since it was apart as well.)

Is it unusual for the water pump to belly up this early?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The water pump started leaking on my '14 after a recent 1500 mile trip. So the water pump and thermostat were replaced. (Flushed the system since it was apart as well.)

Is it unusual for the water pump to belly up this early?
Not is not unusual. It is 7+ years old. It gets hot-cold-hot-cold constantly. One thing to remember is that if it has electricity or moving parts it can and will break at any time. No worries.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think this is the first vehicle I've had to have the water pump replaced. I've routinely taken previous vehicles beyond 200K with no water pump issues at all.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I think this is the first vehicle I've had to have the water pump replaced. I've routinely taken previous vehicles beyond 200K with no water pump issues at all.
Same here on my 2014. Low mileage and less than 2 years old. It's been decades since I've had a water pump go out. So far that's the only part replaced on the engine that has 315,000 miles on it.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Mechanical and electrical parts fail. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it because I consider water pumps a long term maintenance item.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have a 2014 Durango and it’s on the third water pump. The stock one lasted about 45k miles and the replacement lasted till 93k miles. Both pumps had the impeller bearing fail. No leaks but they started making noise. When the OEM pump went I couldn’t find a factory pump anywhere and I was lucky to find an aftermarket pump. Most of those were sold out too.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had to replace a couple in the past on other vehicles, usually long after 100K miles.
I had to replace the water pump on my 2014 Ram shortly after I bought it, about 108K on the clock. That does seem early to me, but also this was an exfleet truck. I don't sweat it. I've since changed all hoses, thermostat and the heater core and flushed out the system so I don't expect any more issues.

As my brother said, all vehicles are just a bunch of parts waiting to break.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
The water pump started making noise on our 2017 Charger R/T at about 37,000 miles. It was changed out under warranty. Here's a video. :(

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fastest 4 door 4x4 BSP in World
Mechanical fan causes additional stress from vibration and eventual premature failure. At least it’s not fully contained without weep hole like the Ecoboost and ends up destroying the engine before you know it.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've lost count how many water pumps I have replaced over the years/ not only in my own vehicles but at work as well turning wrenches for a living.
Back to my own vehicles, at one point I had 2 ex squads both were dodge diplomats.
On one of them I remember a time when my water pump went, and I changed it. I had a choice At the time of a reman or a new one. I went with the reman. I didn't go 200 miles and that reman took a $#1t. Returned it and paid the difference/ and got the new one. Lasted ALOT longer.